Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 5:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Catholic
RE: Ask a Catholic
Necro... oh well... Tongue

The other day, a thought came across my mind.... it's a dangerous thing, but it happens, once in a while! Wink

For a catholic, what is the relevance of the OT?

Also, assuming that the OT contains some truth, and there has ever been only one god and this god presented itself to the first humans, then how did people come up with all the others? Specially, knowing that the one single god popped up every once in a while...

How long would that have taken? Maybe we can look into the book for that? How many generations passed in between Noah (the sole survivor, along with his family, of the flood and someone firmly convinced of the single god notion, which his family should also be) and Moses? I seem to remember the NT having one or two genealogies of J.C. with a mandatory passage through Noah.
Are there enough generation to produce the whole population of Egypt? And the religion of Egypt and convince every egyptian of those other gods? And also produce some 2 million hebrews and enslave them?
(August 21, 2015 at 5:05 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Necro... oh well... Tongue

The other day, a thought came across my mind.... it's a dangerous thing, but it happens, once in a while! Wink

The Old Testament is the New concealed; the New is the Old revealed.

Quote:Also, assuming that the OT contains some truth, and there has ever been only one god and this god presented itself to the first humans, then how did people come up with all the others? Specially, knowing that the one single god popped up every once in a while...

How long did it take for the people whom God had delivered from Israel to create a golden calf while Moses was talking with God on Mt. Sinai? A few weeks?

Quote:How long would that have taken? Maybe we can look into the book for that? How many generations passed in between Noah (the sole survivor, along with his family, of the flood and someone firmly convinced of the single god notion, which his family should also be) and Moses? I seem to remember the NT having one or two genealogies of J.C. with a mandatory passage through Noah.
Are there enough generation to produce the whole population of Egypt? And the religion of Egypt and convince every egyptian of those other gods? And also produce some 2 million hebrews and enslave them?

Interesting questions. Let me know if you come up with anything.

In the meantime, here is part of the genealogy of Jesus that Luke recorded:

Quote:the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,

37 the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch,

the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel,

the son of Kenan, 38 the son of Enosh,

the son of Seth, the son of Adam,

the son of God.

God
Adam
Seth
Enosh
Kenan
Mahalalel
Jared
Enoch
Methuselah
Lamech
Noah

Only nine generations from Adam to Noah assuming Luke didn't skip anyone. And remember, these folks lived a really long time.
(August 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: God
Adam
Seth
Enosh
Kenan
Mahalalel
Jared
Enoch
Methuselah
Lamech
Noah

Only nine generations from Adam to Noah assuming Luke didn't skip anyone. And remember, these folks lived a really long time.

I thought you were Catholic, not a young earther. Do you really believe in literal creation by God of one Adam and one Eve who then give birth to all the human race? You also think they lived 900 years (or some equally ridiculous number) in the past unlike now. Next thing you'll be telling us humans rode around on dinosaurs. I think your intellectual cred just went in the dumper.
(August 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:

The Old Testament is the New concealed; the New is the Old revealed.
I don't get it... Undecided
Can you explain this with a bit more verbosity?

(August 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
Quote:Also, assuming that the OT contains some truth, and there has ever been only one god and this god presented itself to the first humans, then how did people come up with all the others? Specially, knowing that the one single god popped up every once in a while...

How long did it take for the people whom God had delivered from Israel to create a golden calf while Moses was talking with God on Mt. Sinai? A few weeks?
Ah, but those had influences of other polytheist religions within their lifetimes and experiences.
I'm talking about how did those others pop up in the first place?

(August 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
Quote:How long would that have taken? Maybe we can look into the book for that? How many generations passed in between Noah (the sole survivor, along with his family, of the flood and someone firmly convinced of the single god notion, which his family should also be) and Moses? I seem to remember the NT having one or two genealogies of J.C. with a mandatory passage through Noah.

Interesting questions. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Quote:the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,

37 the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch,

the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel,

the son of Kenan, 38 the son of Enosh,

the son of Seth, the son of Adam,

the son of God.

God
Adam
Seth
Enosh
Kenan
Mahalalel
Jared
Enoch
Methuselah
Lamech
Noah

Dude, you're going the wrong way!
Noah to Moses. I asked for a result in generations because of the potential notions that those persons lived for a long time. Tongue
Don't expect too much. The cards are on the table.

What have you done...
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Damn, that's a fucking great question Poc. But then again, we have evidence of religions dating before the time of Adam (and evidence of the universe dating 13 billion years before Adam, but that's besides the point), so if they can dismiss that then why would they have to answer to the religions popping up in other parts of the world while God was walking around Eden with Adam.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(August 21, 2015 at 8:13 pm)Exian Wrote: (and evidence of the universe dating 13 billion years before Adam, but that's besides the point)

Absoultely not besides the point, since the Catholic church besides mainstream protestanism is about the only denomination accepting most scientific facts. Randy's going against his own church if he subscribes to some thousand years.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 21, 2015 at 8:13 pm)Exian Wrote: Damn, that's a fucking great question Poc.
Blush thnx!
(August 21, 2015 at 8:13 pm)Exian Wrote: But then again, we have evidence of religions dating before the time of Adam
Shush, man!
I don't care for Adam.
I'm just assuming there was ever one single god and, at some point, there was only one person, a person who had first hand contact with that one god. And, according to the story, the last person to whom this happened was Noah... lets stick to him! Wink
(August 21, 2015 at 5:35 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(August 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: The Old Testament is the New concealed; the New is the Old revealed.
I don't get it... Undecided
Can you explain this with a bit more verbosity?

(August 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: How long did it take for the people whom God had delivered from Israel to create a golden calf while Moses was talking with God on Mt. Sinai? A few weeks?
Ah, but those had influences of other polytheist religions within their lifetimes and experiences.
I'm talking about how did those others pop up in the first place?

(August 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Interesting questions. Let me know if you come up with anything.

God
Adam
Seth
Enosh
Kenan
Mahalalel
Jared
Enoch
Methuselah
Lamech
Noah

Dude, you're going the wrong way!
Noah to Moses. I asked for a result in generations because of the potential notions that those persons lived for a long time. Tongue

Sorry, my bad.

I'm afraid I can't be of much more assistance; this is not my field of expertise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 37508 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 379 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4129 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1659 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1417 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 840 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2619 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2266 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 669 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2219 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama