Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 12:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Catholic
RE: Ask a Catholic
(August 30, 2015 at 12:59 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: [...]However, I'll propose a solution beginning with an analogy: just as a great chef might take great pleasure in preparing food for guests in his restaurant which he himself will never actually eat, so you might take personal satisfaction from the pleasure that you give to him. [...]

That's a retarded analogy. Having worked in a number of top-quality restaurants in London over the past 15 years, I can tell you, that all good chefs eat their own food. It's called "tasting". If you can't taste, you can't be a "great chef", or indeed - a chef at all.

You know what helps, when making a useful, accurate analogy? Knowing what you're talking about.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Looks like the Pope might forgive women who've had abortions if they can hold on till the upcoming holy year.

I'm getting that heresy vibe again, what's up with this slacker pope ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 1, 2015 at 9:54 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I'm getting that heresy vibe again, what's up with this slacker pope ?

He's trying to move that old shipwreck into calmer seas of popularity. He certainly got the memo of the dogmatic stances not being popular in the Western world, especially in Europe.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I don't understand why people still try to paint this Pope as some revolutionary. He's just restating Catholic catechism with a better PR director. Forgiving women who have had abortions was/is already possible/permissible.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 1, 2015 at 10:00 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I don't understand why people still try to paint this Pope as some revolutionary.

No, I certainly don't paint him as that at all. But that doesn't change the fact that I support some non dogmatic things he said. Such as striving for more social equality and accepting Climate Change for what it is. I'm not picky in who says the right thing. He's influencial with certain people and might reach groups, who otherwise wouldn't even think about these issues.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(September 1, 2015 at 10:04 am)abaris Wrote:
(September 1, 2015 at 10:00 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I don't understand why people still try to paint this Pope as some revolutionary.

No, I certainly don't paint him as that at all. But that doesn't change the fact that I support some non dogmatic things he said. Such as striving for more social equality and accepting Climate Change for what it is. I'm not picky in who says the right thing. He's influencial with certain people and might reach groups, who otherwise wouldn't even think about these issues.

I'm all on board for him being less dogmatic and more reasonable, but I'm talking about the media's apparent hard-on for Pope Frank where everything he says is some massive reform or leap forward for the church.  And the whole idea of helping the poor and social equality (and even climate change) have been in the Vatican long before Pope Francis.  Just irritates me when otherwise skeptical people (including many atheists I know) buy into this myth of Francis being a super radical progressive.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 30, 2015 at 4:00 pm)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: I just noticed your signature rexbeccarox.

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"

Did you find it scratched at the bottom of a cupboard somewhere? Smile

A fan of the late great Terry Pratchett perhaps.

No that was "nil illigitium carborundum" Which I think equates to the same thing in latin.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 1, 2015 at 1:09 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(August 30, 2015 at 4:00 pm)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: I just noticed your signature rexbeccarox.

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"

Did you find it scratched at the bottom of a cupboard somewhere? Smile

A fan of the late great Terry Pratchett perhaps.

No that was "nil illigitium carborundum" Which I think equates to the same thing in latin.

It's a theme from Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
The wikipedia page for the phrase has a myriad of different variations depending on where it appears in literature.

I don't remember it in Terry Pratchett.
(September 2, 2015 at 2:15 am)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: The wikipedia page for the phrase has a myriad of different variations depending on where it appears in literature.

I don't remember it in Terry Pratchett.

As written in my sig, the only attribution is Margaret Atwood, as far as I can tell.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 37546 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 379 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4129 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1659 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1417 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 840 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2619 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2266 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 669 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2219 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama