Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
(October 31, 2021 at 3:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:01 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Which releases methane - which is worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas...

If you want trees to keep the carbon long term - bury them deep..... Where over time they' ll form oil.....

I never cease to be impressed by how consistent you are in making ‘perfect’ the enemy of ‘better’.

Boru

Yes indeed.

Well, it was like this: God, didn't make coal or oil the way he made the other amenities,  indeedly doodly not. He blew all the trees down. He did.  Then gradually, over 3 million years give or take they turned into coal and oil. This process was so gradual that it wasn't noticed by the average passer by.  (or ape like creatures)  Like creatures standing under the trees for example. Instead of grunting "Hooray, coal and oil in three million years" They tended to think " Ah, shit, trees fallin' on us. That's, the last thing we want" In most cases, that was the last thing they got-----***

***with apologies to Dudley Moore and his skit " I could have been a judge"
(October 31, 2021 at 4:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:52 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Storing carbon in trees is a bit like storing water by drinking beer.... It' s nice and enjoyable but it is a short term solution that needs constant upkeep....

Many species of trees have a shorter lifetime than humans. Then - when the tree dies you have two choices - let it rot - producing methane or burn it - releasing CO2.

It gets you nowhere in the long term.

Plus - you have to maintain trees - which takes energy...

If you simply plant trees like crazy - and don' t maintain the undergrowth you get huge piles of accumulated kindling.... It' s a big reason why the Western US has had so many uncontrolled fires.  So what are you going to do with all that dead undergrowth? Burn it or let it rot? Either way the carbon eventually finds it' s way back into circulation....

The idea is not to eliminated atmospheric carbon altogether (which would be disastrous), but to reduce or - ideally - to reverse the rate at which CO2 is added to the atmosphere. The goal is to balance the carbon cycle between releasing and sequestering carbon.

And I really do think that maintaining forests would be a helluva lot cheaper, both in economic and environmental terms, that the absolutely nutty idea of burying trees for tens of millions of years and hope they turn into oil.

Boru

As usual you missed the point entirely.

Trying to sequester carbon in trees is just kicking the can down the road. 

Every gram of carbon in a tree will eventually make it right back into the environment when the tree dies.

Even nonstop planting of trees won' t make a difference - you will just make a bigger pile of dead wood in the future.

Yes burying it is not really a viable option - but it is the only scenario that would actually make a long term difference. In order to reduce environmental carbon you need to capture it in something that won' t biodegrade.

Waiting for the " you hate trees" idiots to chime in.
Quote:As usual you missed the point entirely.
Nah he always gets your point. Your points are just stupid that's all.

Quote:Trying to sequester carbon in trees is just kicking the can down the road. 
Nah it's a good measure to carbon if not a perfect one. Unlike any of the dumb ideas, you come up with.

Quote:Every gram of carbon in a tree will eventually make it right back into the environment when the tree dies.
Yeah that's not how that works 

Quote:Even nonstop planting of trees won' t make a difference - you will just make a bigger pile of dead wood in the future.
Yeah that's not how that works

Quote:Yes burying it is not really a viable option - but it is the only scenario that would actually make a long term difference. In order to reduce environmental carbon you need to capture it in something that won' t biodegrade.
Not even 

Quote:Waiting for the " you hate trees" idiots to chime in.
Lol literally no one has said that nob job 

How this actually works not Debbies ignorant opining 

https://creatingtomorrowsforests.co.uk/b...ore-carbon

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/40/24649

https://www.wri.org/insights/forests-abs...-each-year

The only real objection to using trees as a carbon sink is that grasslands are better suited to the task.

https://climatechange.ucdavis.edu/news/g...han-trees/
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Biker on trees:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 31, 2021 at 10:16 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 4:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The idea is not to eliminated atmospheric carbon altogether (which would be disastrous), but to reduce or - ideally - to reverse the rate at which CO2 is added to the atmosphere. The goal is to balance the carbon cycle between releasing and sequestering carbon.

And I really do think that maintaining forests would be a helluva lot cheaper, both in economic and environmental terms, that the absolutely nutty idea of burying trees for tens of millions of years and hope they turn into oil.

Boru

Every gram of carbon in a tree will eventually make it right back into the environment when the tree dies.

Even nonstop planting of trees won' t make a difference - you will just make a bigger pile of dead wood in the future.

Yes burying it is not really a viable option - but it is the only scenario that would actually make a long term difference. In order to reduce environmental carbon you need to capture it in something that won' t biodegrade.

What part of ‘cycle’ is giving you trouble? It’s perfectly ok that the carbon stored in trees will eventually be released.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 1, 2021 at 3:55 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 10:16 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: As usual you missed the point entirely.

What part of ‘cycle’ is giving you trouble? It’s perfectly ok that the carbon stored in trees will eventually be released.

Boru
What he doesn't get is release is a gradual one that the planet can handle and even in a forest fire the amount released will be easy to handle
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Quote:The only real objection to using trees as a carbon sink is that grasslands are better suited to the task.

No reason we can’t do both. In areas not suited to forestation, plant grasses. In areas not suitable for grasslands, plant trees (but trees also have the advantage that you can turn them into houses).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 1, 2021 at 3:55 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 10:16 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: As usual you missed the point entirely.

Boru

What part of " futile" is giving YOU trouble?

Problem - burning of hydrocarbons had put a higher amount of carbon into the atmosphere in the form of (mainly) CO2 - thus elevating temperature.

Proposed solution - remove carbon from atmosphere and store it.

Your method - store it in a sieve.
(October 31, 2021 at 10:16 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 4:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The idea is not to eliminated atmospheric carbon altogether (which would be disastrous), but to reduce or - ideally - to reverse the rate at which CO2 is added to the atmosphere. The goal is to balance the carbon cycle between releasing and sequestering carbon.

Boru

This isn't true at all.  Not all plants that die rapidly degraded and return their carbon to the atmosphere.  A good many have been buried in the past and this is where fossil fuels come from.  All of that oil and gas are ancient plants buried deep underground.  And if you are talking about trees, many specie of trees can live for hundreds of years and, once felled, may last for decades more depending on conditions.  Increasing forestland increases the carbon stored.  And if humans harvest the trees and build things with it, most of that carbon stays locked in the wood for as long as it is in use.  Think about all of that wonderful peat in Britain, that's stored carbon but of course we can't help but dig it up to make awesome whiskey.  Permafrost also contains a huge amount of biomass.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
Hmn, more trees and houses and plants? Can't see how that would help choking homeless starving humanity. Terrible idea, next!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4835 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 544 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1611 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37