Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
(November 16, 2021 at 1:56 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Actor Alan Cumming made an interesting observation: “Things like the separation of church and state [in the United States] are just a joke. If the president did not end his speech by saying ‘God bless America’, there would be an outcry.”

Let's face it, he’s not wrong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books...-1.4723825

Biden is weird on ending his speeches, he ends it with "May God protect our troops". Most of the time with prior presidents it ends with "God Bless America". Don't get me wrong, I think either is divisive.
May god protect our troops, and murder those other boys, and wither their crops, and cause their fathers and mothers and wives and duaghters to fall into a deep pit of despair. Deprive them of their homes and freeze them in the fields and show no mercy. In his great and loving name....

Amen.

I mean, shit, at least I know when I'm waddling onto the field with a skull strapped to my string-of-ears-belt....but this is the polite and correct thing for the head diplomat to say? IDK, seems like we might be fooling ourselves.

-apologies to the ghost of samuel clemens.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Half a dozen kids shot in Aurora Colorado. Guess The Wife and I can exclude that place from our Land and Farm search parameters. That's two more kids than we have.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/15/us/au...oting.html
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Since 1970, there have been 1369 school shootings in the US. The NRA is allowed to insist there are few if any changes to gun laws. I've never understood the power of the gun lobby in America. The NRA has what, about 5 million members? But I guess a lot of 'em are rich and even more vocal . It's my understanding that there are very few black NRA members. The NRA does not keep such stats, which surprises me not at all.

There have been no school shootings in Australia. Our last mass shooting was in Port Arthur Tasmania in 1996. 35 people were killed and 23 wounded.

As a nation, were appalled and traumatised. Within weeks, through bipartisan support, Australia had introduced some of the toughest gun and weapons laws in the world. Today, even armed robbers rarely have firearm or other weapon such as martial arts weapons, which are also banned.

With some things, there are truly two sides to the same coin.

Australia has never had a significant gun lobby. Such people are simply considered nutters.
Speaking of the nra.....and school shoootings.....

Recently pilfered audio of the NRA strategy meeting directly in the aftermath of columbine has been confirmed and released. Turns out the NRA thinks their people are nuts...hillbillies, hicks..crazies....and, just, generally, a humanitarian and even more importantly... PR disaster.

-and knowing all that...they decided to go the route we all remember, since then.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/09/104905414...-shootings

Must be specifically fascinating to our NPR newsies.

(it's a good bet that comes out of AM, what with their trench based legal knife fight to the death and all - astute listeners might even hear them credited. this is why people who went to the nra meet and greets to teach their kids range safety at 10m bb competitions and get hunting safety certificates... left)

If the us was ever going to do something about kids killing kids at school, ala port arthur, we'd have done so a long while back.  We saw it, we wrung our hands, and we decided....fuck it, let's do it and be heroes.

I really don't know what else to say.  I wish it were otherwise.
When you are an idiot and have a TV show

Video

Direct link https://www.facebook.com/186842420994378...9422930053
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
This is good news: By the end of this year, a new blood test may detect more than 50 types of cancer

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 16, 2021 at 1:56 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Actor Alan Cumming made an interesting observation: “Things like the separation of church and state [in the United States] are just a joke. If the president did not end his speech by saying ‘God bless America’, there would be an outcry.”

Let's face it, he’s not wrong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books...-1.4723825

Biden is weird, he ends his speeches with "May God Protect Our Troops" instead of  "God Bless America".
Why do people think a god prefers one bit of land over another?
They all look the same from a billion miles away!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

The Shaman horned orange turd insurrectionist gets 41 months in prison.

(November 16, 2021 at 5:24 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: Since 1970, there have been 1369 school shootings in the US. The NRA is allowed to insist there are few if any changes to gun laws. I've never understood the power of the gun lobby in America.   The NRA has what, about 5 million members? But I guess a lot of 'em are rich and even more  vocal . It's my understanding that there are very few black NRA members. The NRA does not keep such stats, which surprises me not at all.

There have been no school shootings in Australia. Our last mass shooting was in Port Arthur Tasmania in 1996. 35 people were killed and 23 wounded.

As a nation, were appalled and traumatised. Within weeks, through bipartisan support, Australia had introduced some of the toughest gun and weapons laws in the world. Today, even armed robbers rarely have firearm or other weapon such as martial arts weapons, which are also banned.

With some things, there are truly two sides to the same coin.

Australia has never had a significant gun lobby. Such people are simply considered nutters.

Yes, and unfortunately my JR YR Highschool YR book has a two page spread of the "year in news" from 1984. In it it has pictures of Reagan, the artificial heart guy, the space shuttle, AND, an overhead shot of the San Ysidro California McDonald's massacre. A guy named James Huberty murdered 22 people. It is sick that with all that nothing has changed. And worse, these shooting you listed are the tip of the iceberg. Outside public shootings, the bigger number of firearm deaths are suicides, domestic violence, and accidental. 

The gun lobby in America does not exist to promote rights or public safety, it exists to protect the profits of the industry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4834 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 544 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1611 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37