Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 12:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheistic thanksgiving posts here.
Atheistic thanksgiving posts here.

Despite the fact that Thanksgiving is an overtly Christian holiday in violation of the Establishment Clause in the USA, atheists can be thankful too (just not to a deity).

I am thankful my wife's first two husbands dumped her, so she would be available when I came around (sorry 'bout that Beth).

I am thankful my wife saw goodness in taking in a homeless vet. She did her part for disabled vets by marrying one.

I am thankful that the gentle persuasion of Beth and my mother finally penetrated my pointy but thick skull and I now focus on this life (atheism) than another alleged one (Wicca).

I am thankful Beth knows how to cook. I don't know which end of a turkey to swing.

Our dog and cat are thankful for table scraps.

We are both thankful we live so far away from either of our families now that no one came to us and no one expected us to come to them; this is the first Thanksgiving Day we have had to ourselves in four years of marriage.

I hope your Thanksgiving, and every day, are full of joy. - James.

On this day in 1799, HM Schooner Nancy was launched from Detroit.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Atheistic thanksgiving posts here.
On this day in particular, I'm thankful for gravy.
"Gratitude is the best attitude" is a phrase I try to live by. And while I am grateful for so many things this does not mean I am going to grovel like some beaten servant.

I sometimes wonder if the American "Thanksgiving" is just another twist on Samhain a prayer that the winter will not be so harsh.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm thankful for Field Roast.

I'm thankful for my eidetic memory for taste that allows me to whip up delicious food without a recipe.
That will never hold up in court...
Lots of beer and food over here... feel bloated....might explode.

Thankful that it hasnt happened yet
(November 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: On this day in particular, I'm thankful for gravy.

Right now I'm thankful for Rolaids.
Thanksgiving is a day of hedonism. Perfect day. It should be called Perfect Day.

I'm going in for left overs in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

How is Thanksgiving a Christian holiday? That's new to me.
Good point. The word "jesus" does not appear in Lincoln's proclamation although there are a few general references to "god."

http://www.historyplace.com/lincoln/thanks.htm

So this was my first Thanksgiving with family on my grandmother's instead of my grandfather's. When my aunt (who made dinner) got to the table she said something along the lines of "well, I hope everyone is done saying their individual blessings, so let's begin". This is much better that having to get into a circle to say the blessing, which is not only offensive to me, but because our usual gathering is large, and nobody in our family has a house with a room large enough to allow that many people to get into anything resembling a circle, it is uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Anyways, I'm glad to see my grandmother's side is more progressive and understands the concept of diversity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 16328 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3784 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3237 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9927 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2675 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6891 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3645 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Happy Thanksgiving dyresand 1 846 November 28, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism sswhateverlove 315 46363 September 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheistic dinner "prayer" Eric9001 11 4967 July 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic