Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 1:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Any Evidence For A Historical Jesus?
RE: Any Evidence For A Historical Jesus?
Quote:I was simply rôle playing the character of a literalist

Gee,I wouldn't do that. What if the wind changed? You'd turn into a real one. Oh yes, it's perfectly true; I read it one the internet. I think it wast by that guy who believes the world is controlled by giant lizards.Cool Shades
(January 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Side note for potential critics, theist or otherwise: my use of the single-quotes was meant to indicate that I personally understand carbon-dating isn't used in those circumstances and I was simply rôleplaying the character of a literalist. I'm feeling much better now though.

Of course - my comment wasn't really directed at you. Apologies for any not making that clear.
No it's ok, I picked up on that; I just thought it might be useful to nip any nitpickers (like me!) in the bud. As it were.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm)Stimbo Wrote: What a coincidence; I have a problem with the literalist theists' problem with carbon dating. Consider: to said literalist, a fossil is 'carbon-dated' to be millions of years old. Which cannot be true, because the biblical age of the Earth makes that conclusion impossible.

Ah, but obviously Yahweh altered the carbon in the rock to make it SEEM like the rock was millions of years old in a test of our faith. [/snark]
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Of course. Just like She made the starlight from beyond 6,000 light years away en route to make us think the Universe is bigger/older/more amazingly amazing than it really is. After all, She made Adam and Eve as fully grown adults and that PROVES it. (Bugger; I think I'm channelling NephilimFree now.)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
One of the problems that the jackasses have is that they have tied their silly book of godboy stories to the absurdly maniacal stories of Yahweh and then claim that he is the "father" (and the "son" and the holy fucking ghost) at the same time.

The problem is that archaeology can - and has - demolished the claims of theists because there is no evidence that the culture the Jews dreamed up for their nasty their little god to rule over ever existed. If you build a house on a foundation of sand don't be surprised when it falls over.
(January 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: One of the problems that the jackasses have is that they have tied their silly book of godboy stories to the absurdly maniacal stories of Yahweh and then claim that he is the "father" (and the "son" and the holy fucking ghost) at the same time.

The problem is that archaeology can - and has - demolished the claims of theists because there is no evidence that the culture the Jews dreamed up for their nasty their little god to rule over ever existed. If you build a house on a foundation of sand don't be surprised when it falls over.

But it didn't fall over. The house remains standing. It's a miracle! Plus, Satan is trying to confuse us. The universe is only 6,000 years old. Yahweh wrote all the extra written history that's older than that to test our faith. I'm not listening! Lalalalalala...

Hey, I should be an apologist.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
You have far too much integrity for that. Plus credibility. And rationality.
ok i've watched your video KichigaiNeko and you didn't really explain it right. it does have nothing to do with the solstice; it has to do with comparing the Egyption gods with the Christian/Jewish God. and your right, there are some Egyption gods that are similar to the Christian/Jewish God, but what do you expect? they had hundreds of gods. do you think maybe one of them could have similar charictoristics to any god? i'm sure you could take any Egyption god and compare it to any other god from any other religion and see similarities. i've heard a better arguement that the Christian Jewish god is similar to the Hindu god brahma.

why is carbon dating inaccurate? it is based off the carbon 14 to carbon 12 ratio in all organic material. new carbon 14 is created in the atmosphere due to radiation from the sun enriching the carbon atoms. organisms absorb carbon from the atmosphere through the carbon cycle. so until the organism dies, it will have the same carbon 14 to carbon 12 ratio as in the atmosphere and when it dies it will stop getting new carbon and the carbon 14 will decay more and more until it's gone and they calculate the carbon 14 will completely deplete in 50,000 to 60,000 years (this is according to scientists and is a fact). it seams like a good dating method except how do you get your starting ratio? well scientists base the current atmospheric ratio of carbon 14 to carbon 12 in the atmosphere for their starting ratio. what's wrong with this? it's ASSUMING that the carbon 14 ratio to the carbon 12 ratio is constant in the atmosphere no matter what time period it is (or at least that it has been for the past 50,000 years). this is not true. as i said more carbon 14 is created from the sun's radiation and we are exposed to it more and more (some think it's because of a weakening ozone layer) and because of this it gets more and more inaccurate the older it is because they did not have the same carbon 14 to carbon 12 ratio in the atmosphere as they do now.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem
sorry typo for characteristics
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4888 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39158 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29223 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20979 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6145 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 246337 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 138020 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Any one else watch The Last Days of Jesus on PBS ? vorlon13 9 2644 April 16, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 93409 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11414 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut