Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 2:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism leaves too much room for error.
RE: Atheism leaves too much room for error.
Quote:You said, "Approximately 13½ billion years ago the universe was compressed to a point with no dimensions. This, in lay terminology, was the moment before time and space existed ... there was no matter/energy, time, or space, literally NOTHING. Then the universe started."

Energy/Matter have always existed. This is the First Law of Thermodynamics. Your copy and paste job is inconsistent.

I never claimed anything of the sort, neither did I copy & paste. I simply said that the singularity may have always existed negating the need for a creator, meaning that our universe has always existed but just not in the form we see today.

If you're suggesting that I looked this up then I'm sorry to dissapoint you as I am that you seem unable to grasp such a simple concept.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
the_Truth:

There are many potential explanations for the beginning of the universe and God is only one of many possibilities both imagined and unimagined. The fact that it was the first explanation dreamed up by primitive minds in the infancy of human civilisation means nothing, neither does the circular logic of the book in which these ideas are contained, what matters is objective evidence that could be used to distinguish one possibility from another. Until such evidence is found every possibility is only an assumption and that makes god just an assumption too, the god of the gaps.

What makes me think you're a loon is not that you have made the assumption that god is the unknown (although it is rather silly to assume) it is the fact that you assert as truth not only god in a deistic sense, but that you manage to extend the assumption of god all the way to the Judeo-Christian god.

Not only that, but you have completely failed to provide the proof of God that you touted when you opened this discussion, 5 pages ago.

So hurry up and provide this proof of god, or go make your unsupported assertions elsewhere.
(August 17, 2009 at 8:10 pm)The_Truth Wrote:
(August 17, 2009 at 4:25 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't debate people that copy and paste from a website and then claim "it's their argument". And especially copying and pasting that much information, and then topping it off with a slew of smiley faces is hardly worthy of debate.

It IS my argument!!!!! It's on my website!

Now, again, can you really (I mean truly really) be THAT stupid?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Quote:Didn't a group of Jews write this down 3,500-4,000 years ago?

No. Somewhere around 2,600 years ago they may have started to write some things down...after plagiarizing much from the older and wiser Sumerian culture. As near as we can tell they did not have a written language until sometime around 900 BC and we certainly do not evidence for extensive literacy then.

And, before you make things worse, the oldest OT texts in existence are written in Greek. Not Hebrew. The Septuagint dates from the 3d century BC.
(August 18, 2009 at 2:23 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: It IS my argument!!!!! It's on my website!
Haha! Well that's even better Tongue
If there is one thing I realized, you gotta be quick to respond to a thread or else everyone else will mention everything you want to...haha Tongue *sits back and observes*

Oh, by the way, Truth, if there is one thing I've noticed, it's that there is a communication breakdown between yourself and those you are debating with.

Far be it for me to critisize and add facts of my own, because I'm not half as knowledgable as some of the veterans here, like Adrian, Kyuu and Darwinian just to name a few.

However, you seem so dead set, if I may call it that, on what you percieve to be the undeniable truth, that you don't seem to even try and understand what everyone else is saying.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(August 18, 2009 at 2:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: And, before you make things worse, the oldest OT texts in existence are written in Greek. Not Hebrew. The Septuagint dates from the 3d century BC.
Did you just say the OLD TESTAMENT was written in Greek?? Don't tell that to the jews.

The NEW TESTAMENT was written in Greek. The OLD TESTAMENT was written in ancient Hebrew.
(August 18, 2009 at 9:07 am)The_Truth Wrote: The NEW TESTAMENT was written in Greek. The OLD TESTAMENT was written in ancient Hebrew.

I think you still have some mighty big quesions higher up in the page and previous, pending an answer. Smile
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(August 17, 2009 at 11:18 pm)Darwinian Wrote:
Quote:You said, "Approximately 13½ billion years ago the universe was compressed to a point with no dimensions. This, in lay terminology, was the moment before time and space existed ... there was no matter/energy, time, or space, literally NOTHING. Then the universe started."

Energy/Matter have always existed. This is the First Law of Thermodynamics. Your copy and paste job is inconsistent.

Quote:I never claimed anything of the sort, neither did I copy & paste. I simply said that the singularity may have always existed negating the need for a creator, meaning that our universe has always existed but just not in the form we see today.
Yes, the singularity has always existed. This singularity is God. Everything we know in existence came from this cosmic singularity. It's proven science.

Quote:If you're suggesting that I looked this up then I'm sorry to dissapoint you as I am that you seem unable to grasp such a simple concept.
You said energy/matter are not eternal. That is incorrect.
(August 18, 2009 at 2:23 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(August 17, 2009 at 8:10 pm)The_Truth Wrote: [quote='Kyuuketsuki' pid='26730' dateline='1250540740']
I'm sorry, but I don't debate people that copy and paste from a website and then claim "it's their argument". And especially copying and pasting that much information, and then topping it off with a slew of smiley faces is hardly worthy of debate.

It IS my argument!!!!! It's on my website!

Now, again, can you really (I mean truly really) be THAT stupid?

Kyu
Please allow me to point out your inconsistencies.

1. there was no matter/energy, time, or space, literally NOTHING. Then the universe started.
(This is incorrect, energy/matter have always existed). First Law of Thermodynamics.

2. The entity, known as a singularity, expanded very rapidly. Sometimes this is called an "explosion", but this is misleading. In a typical explosion, matter and energy expand into space. But there was no space to expand into. (You claim there was no space for matter and energy to expand into)

3. Dicke also suggested that our universe may have been created from the remains of a previous one and that infinitesimal amounts of radiation would be detectable if this were so. (Further down, you claim there was a previous universe). therefore, allowing energy/matter to expand.

Is this correct?
For the sake of argument, lets say you are right about matter being eternal. Even if it is so, if to you that equals the existance of a god, where is this source now? How will you account for it's disappearance since the days claimed in the bible?

It is still an overly-described, drastically stretched fable about a man who healed people by touching their foreheads, assisted in parting seas, caused a plague upon first borns and turned the water to blood..etc..

I just wonder how believers can justify all that and much much more as being actual fact/truth.

I mean no offence to you, it is nothing personal on my part, please bear in mind. I'm just stating what I think, ya'know? Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 139 7351 June 12, 2024 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 19554 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24994 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4116 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1344 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17679 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27850 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A very good Friday to you, too, sir. Nanny 2 1094 April 14, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 42847 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Not-so-elephant In The Room Excited Penguin 192 21655 December 25, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet