Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 9:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athiesm is a Faith?
RE: Athiesm is a Faith?
(December 31, 2012 at 10:50 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(December 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: Whatever became of that formal debate idea about Christianity being an overall nett benefit to human kind?

I really don't care about how good or bad Christianity is, that doesn't change the fact that it's a delusion.

wow if you think Christianity is wrong because it is a delusion what will you think if science actually says the whole of existence is an illusion and some scientists are going there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBt_yfGKpU.
(December 31, 2012 at 9:56 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: thanks i think; and to be honest I asked myself the same question about why an athiest forum. In time I hope when we get through with the initial "pleasantries" I hope that even though we will disagree on a lot we will recognise in each other honest searchers even if we are looking from different places and through a different lens. At least you guys want to talk about this stuff and I do find it forces me to think and that's always a good thing. I do wish you guys a happy new year.

You might have a better time at http://agnosticsinternational.org/forum/

I would never rag on you there in this way. I go by the same user name but have an avatar picture of my other dog at that site, and I help moderate there a little. The tone tends to be much more sincere and respectful but also less lively and fun. So choose your own poison. There are no where near as many users there, but that could change.
You obviously don't understand what "delusion" is in this context. Christianity is a delusion basically because it does not match reality. Whether reality itself is an "illusion" does not matter.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 31, 2012 at 10:50 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: ...I really don't care about how good or bad Christianity is...

LOL
''the good that Christianity has brought to the world.''
''That Biblical Christianity has been an overall nett benefit to human kind''

We are talking about the whole world, not just you.
(December 31, 2012 at 11:07 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:
(December 31, 2012 at 10:50 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: ...I really don't care about how good or bad Christianity is...

LOL
''the good that Christianity has brought to the world.''
''That Biblical Christianity has been an overall nett benefit to human kind''

We are talking about the whole world, not just you.

Yes, I know. It's all pointless. It doesn't prove Christianity.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: You obviously don't understand what "delusion" is in this context. Christianity is a delusion basically because it does not match reality. Whether reality itself is an "illusion" does not matter.

Oh I understand exactly where you are coming from but i did think you would find the video interesting . I concede i could be wrong on that but you can tell me.
(December 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote:
(December 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: You obviously don't understand what "delusion" is in this context. Christianity is a delusion basically because it does not match reality. Whether reality itself is an "illusion" does not matter.

Oh I understand exactly where you are coming from but i did think you would find the video interesting . I concede i could be wrong on that but you can tell me.

I really can't see why it's relevant to the discussion. Supposing the world is an illusion (whatever that means) then that fact doesn't make atheism easier to refute or Christianity easier to prove.
My ignore list

(December 31, 2012 at 4:58 am)Mark 13:13 Wrote: Ok, I'll start a thread just for you.

But it won't be just one question, it will be several.

And it will commence tomorrow as New Year celebrations are about to commence at my place and I have every intention of getting seriously fucked up.
Quote:Asking lots of questions in one thread is just an invite for not exploring things properly as the discussion will just jump all over the place and reach no conclusion. Its a muslim debating technique, never answer a question but rather ask loads back instead. It becomes tedious and pointless.

I'll thank you not to tell me how to format my thread.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(December 31, 2012 at 11:57 pm)Zen Badger Wrote:
(December 31, 2012 at 4:58 am)Mark 13:13 Wrote: Ok, I'll start a thread just for you.

But it won't be just one question, it will be several.

And it will commence tomorrow as New Year celebrations are about to commence at my place and I have every intention of getting seriously fucked up.
Quote:Asking lots of questions in one thread is just an invite for not exploring things properly as the discussion will just jump all over the place and reach no conclusion. Its a muslim debating technique, never answer a question but rather ask loads back instead. It becomes tedious and pointless.

I'll thank you not to tell me how to format my thread.

no worries mate; but don't take offence if I don't engage in the thread then as dealing with one question at a time on this forum is tough enough for an idiot like me.

(December 31, 2012 at 11:21 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(December 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: Oh I understand exactly where you are coming from but i did think you would find the video interesting . I concede i could be wrong on that but you can tell me.

I really can't see why it's relevant to the discussion. Supposing the world is an illusion (whatever that means) then that fact doesn't make atheism easier to refute or Christianity easier to prove.

the link to the thread is tenuous I just thought you might enjoy the video if you hadn't tripped over it this theory, apologies if this isn't good forum etiquette
Also, ranting on and on can be quite annoying to anyone. Everyone love's a good rant, but keep it within reason if it's meant to be a serious thread! Big Grin

I asked him just ONE question in my thread and he hasn't answered it yet, so good luck asking him dozens!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13726 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1502 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 35955 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3029 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  My 'Athiesm' DarthFritz82 9 1274 March 9, 2019 at 7:07 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7928 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8926 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 13116 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4787 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 40318 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive