Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am God
RE: I am God
(March 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm)Undeceived Wrote:
(March 28, 2013 at 11:51 am)Esquilax Wrote: One can hold a position on a fictional character without wanting that fictional character to be real and to possess that position itself, catfish. I think Voldemort is pretty immoral too, it doesn't follow that I think Voldemort is real and that I want him to be immoral, I'm just making a judgment based on his actions as depicted in the fiction.
So let's make a judgment of God as he is depicted in the Bible. God sends his son Jesus to suffer and die for our sins, so that we may live forever. How do you (or other atheists here) make sense of this behavior?

Die and then come back to life after the weekend to reign eternally in heaven.*

Would you like me to send my son out to suffer, and die, so that I'm able to forgive my neighbour for keeping me awake at night?

Let's make more judgements based on his actions... Ordering deaths of infants, genocide, sacrificing sons - oh, wait, he was only joking - the eternal hell sentence for the people that don't believe he's real... I could probably go on.
My judgement of him is that he's a bit of an ass.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
(March 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm)Joel Wrote: Let's make more judgements based on his actions... Ordering deaths of infants, genocide, sacrificing sons - oh, wait, he was only joking - the eternal hell sentence for the people that don't believe he's real... I could probably go on.

Read the Bible past those parts. God never ordered that crap, "eternal" is actually an eon and "hell" is a Greek myth.
God didn't write the Bible, men did.
(March 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm)catfish Wrote:
(March 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm)Joel Wrote: Let's make more judgements based on his actions... Ordering deaths of infants, genocide, sacrificing sons - oh, wait, he was only joking - the eternal hell sentence for the people that don't believe he's real... I could probably go on.

Read the Bible past those parts. God never ordered that crap, "eternal" is actually an eon and "hell" is a Greek myth.
God didn't write the Bible, men did.

Quote:let's make a judgment of God as he is depicted in the Bible.
It doesn't matter who wrote it. I'm simply going from what was given to me in the question.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
(March 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm)Undeceived Wrote: God sends his son Jesus to suffer and die for our sins, so that we may live forever. How do you (or other atheists here) make sense of this behavior?

I certainly cannot imagine him receiving the father of the year award for that heinous act. Especially, since he is supposedly all powerful and could have forgiven humanity's sin without sacrificing his son. It just goes to show that men of that time wrote the bible.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm)Joel Wrote:
Quote:let's make a judgment of God as he is depicted in the Bible.
It doesn't matter who wrote it. I'm simply going from what was given to me in the question.

Ezekiel 22:28
And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord God, when the Lord hath not spoken.

As depicted? Sure, God said those dumbfucks lied...
(March 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm)Joel Wrote:
(March 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm)Undeceived Wrote: So let's make a judgment of God as he is depicted in the Bible. God sends his son Jesus to suffer and die for our sins, so that we may live forever. How do you (or other atheists here) make sense of this behavior?

Die and then come back to life after the weekend to reign eternally in heaven.*

Would you like me to send my son out to suffer, and die, so that I'm able to forgive my neighbour for keeping me awake at night?
I don't know where the keeping a neighbor awake part is in the Bible, but according to the text Jesus is God. And, as God, he chooses to die for us. John 10:18:
Jesus speaking, "No one takes [my life] from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again."
All other information aside, is this God good or bad?
(March 28, 2013 at 7:34 pm)catfish Wrote:
(March 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm)Joel Wrote: It doesn't matter who wrote it. I'm simply going from what was given to me in the question.

Ezekiel 22:28
And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord God, when the Lord hath not spoken.

As depicted? Sure, God said those dumbfucks lied...

Quote:God didn't write the Bible, men did.

Quote:I don't know where the keeping a neighbor awake part is in the Bible
It's not, I was making a link between my life and an act of God.
(March 28, 2013 at 7:35 pm)Joel Wrote:
Quote:God didn't write the Bible, men did.

And? Why would that matter?
I do not have a "belief system" dickhead.

You fucks have failed to present any evidence that your fucking god exists.

As a matter of fact, no fucks have ever produced evidence that any of their fucking gods exist.

Once this simple statement of fact is established one can move on with life without having to worry about satisfying the demands of some mythical
cocksucker.

But you will never get it. It's part of your condition.
(March 28, 2013 at 7:34 pm)Undeceived Wrote: Jesus speaking, "No one takes [my life] from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again."

So he inconvenienced himself, that mankind may be redeemed? That's a bit more reasonable.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12815 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6770 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad