Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage discrimination struck down in Arkansas.
RE: Marriage discrimination struck down in Arkansas.
(May 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Mehmet you said that traditions change via majority consensus. Therefore if the majority (straight people I assume) decide that gay marriage is fine with them, then by your standards is gay marriage acceptable?

Just curious.
Well, in such a hypothetical case, acceptablility would not be my call, that's what I'm saying. However, that would mean that the majority would have to invent new traditions, which would need to take hold over certain generations. Traditions do not change overnight, especially traditions concerning marriage, having been shaped by centuries.
They form the basis of social institutions that constitute the pillars of society.

However, I don't think that such a hypothetical case will ever be reality, as what you're advocating here is, in my opinion, quite radically opposed to the traditions that define marriage, and therefore society, you'd need to destroy these traditions completely to actually redifine the concept of marriage in the majority's mind.

(May 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm)Beccs Wrote:

Throughout human history there have been many forms of "traditional marriage"

Who's to say today's norms aren't in need of changing just as many of the other 'norms" have been changed through humanity evolving.
"Many forms", by that, I assume that you're referring to cases of monogamy and polygamy. However the fact is, that they have been centered on the concept of a union between a man and a woman, and the importance of conceiving and raising children within that marriage, through biological reproductory processes, or in some cases, adoptions.
To be honest, any tradition regarding marriage that you might look for anywhere on earth, it will be related to the same concept involving a man and a woman.
You're merely trying to introduce something new into it without actually accounting for its popularity.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 11, 2014 at 4:32 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: I really have no time to explain my position on this "marriage equality" bullcrap.
I merely have stated that this "marriage" that they are proposing is not even marriage.

Fine, then. Don't worry about it. If marriage equality came to your country, it wouldn't actually have any effect on you anyway.

Quote:Its merely another ploy of the liberal, rootless cosmopolitan mindset to redefine social institutions and traditions. Lets re-define everything to suit the purposes of minorities.
Sounds to me like the dictatorship of minorities such as the homosexuals over the majority of normal people.

Yeah, it's so terrible to, uh, do what? Demand the recognition of equal rights that our country's Constitution guarantees? That's an important point in this debate in America, the point everybody on the wrong side of this debate seems to ignore: this sort of discrimination has been illegal since the passage of the 14th amendment 150 years ago. These state-level bans were never legal to begin with. If you want to legally deny millions of people their equal rights, you have to put a Constitutional amendment to vote, to overturn the 14th amendment. Then, you can legally put state-level bans to a vote.

Good luck.

It doesn't really matter, anyway. By the end of this decade, only the most deeply-inbred states won't have majority support for it anyway. For all this panty-shitting going on about activist judges, they are only accelerating the inevitable by a handful of years.
(May 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: However, I don't think that such a hypothetical case will ever be reality.

Legalization of same-sex marriage is a reality, whether you want to accept it or not.

(May 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: However the fact is, that they have been centered on the concept of a union between a man and a woman....it will be related to the same concept involving a man and a woman.

Stating only one man and one woman is a tactful extension of one's bigotry.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 11, 2014 at 3:43 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: They actually struck down Marriage itself, yet know not what they do.
Poor dumb bastards.

No, they didn't, you dumb fuck.

(May 11, 2014 at 4:32 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 4:12 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: The first state in the country to recognize marriage equality in America has, by far, the lowest divorce rate in America, and it has only gone down in the ten years since that happened. Most of the states which have marriage equality today are states which are in the bottom-half in divorce ratings. 7 of the 10 states with the lowest divorce rates recognize marriage equality.

To put it mildly, you're full of shit.
I really have no time to explain my position on this "marriage equality" bullcrap.
I merely have stated that this "marriage" that they are proposing is not even marriage.
Its merely another ploy of the liberal, rootless cosmopolitan mindset to redefine social institutions and traditions. Lets re-define everything to suit the purposes of minorities.
Sounds to me like the dictatorship of minorities such as the homosexuals over the majority of normal people.

Marriage equality has no effect on you or on your rights, you dumb fuck.

(May 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Mehmet you said that traditions change via majority consensus. Therefore if the majority (straight people I assume) decide that gay marriage is fine with them, then by your standards is gay marriage acceptable?

Just curious.
Well, in such a hypothetical case, acceptablility would not be my call, that's what I'm saying. However, that would mean that the majority would have to invent new traditions, which would need to take hold over certain generations. Traditions do not change overnight, especially traditions concerning marriage, having been shaped by centuries.
They form the basis of social institutions that constitute the pillars of society.

However, I don't think that such a hypothetical case will ever be reality, as what you're advocating here is, in my opinion, quite radically opposed to the traditions that define marriage, and therefore society, you'd need to destroy these traditions completely to actually redifine the concept of marriage in the majority's mind.

Marriage equality does not affect others' traditions. Your argument is nonsense.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Just curious.

(May 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm)Beccs Wrote:

Throughout human history there have been many forms of "traditional marriage"

Who's to say today's norms aren't in need of changing just as many of the other 'norms" have been changed through humanity evolving.
"Many forms", by that, I assume that you're referring to cases of monogamy and polygamy. However the fact is, that they have been centered on the concept of a union between a man and a woman, and the importance of conceiving and raising children within that marriage, through biological reproductory processes, or in some cases, adoptions.
To be honest, any tradition regarding marriage that you might look for anywhere on earth, it will be related to the same concept involving a man and a woman.
You're merely trying to introduce something new into it without actually accounting for its popularity.

No. It's been centred around a man and many women, or a man and his female slaves, or a man and any women they can get their hands on, including raping virgins, in the Abrahamic traditions.

Many other cultures accepted gay relationships, especially among men.

Now, if your view of a marriage is valid simply because of the chance for kids, do you therefore not recognise marriages where the couples choose not to have kids, or marriages between elderly people?

If you're determined that tradition trumps all then let me mention that slavery was traditional for ceenturies, as were many other things we find abhorrent today.

If we can change our attitudes on those, why is marriage such a sticking point?
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 11, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Beccs Wrote: If we can change our attitudes on those, why is marriage such a sticking point?

Because, ewww.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Just curious.

In the states the majority already approve of same sex marriage, and have for a bit now. We are just waiting for the ruling, and some of the states are more stubborn about accepting change than others.
(May 11, 2014 at 6:41 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Beccs Wrote: If we can change our attitudes on those, why is marriage such a sticking point?

Because, ewww.

Ladies and germs, we present: the only honest argument against marriage equality that has ever been put forth.

Just curious.

This is a snippet from Wikipedia on same sex marriage in my state:

Now in my state same sex marriage was legalized by judicial ruling, but polls have shown that the majority of the population supports it anyways, by a wide berth in the most recent poll. 60% want to keep it legal versus 29% that want it to be illegal, and 11% can't form opinions. But that is a 31% difference between legalized same sex marriage and illegal same sex marriage.

And this is the direction that the rest of my country is heading towards, and has been heading towards for decades at this point. Even in the past, when acceptance of same sex marriage was in the minority, it was still on an upward trend. Is it not possible that this is the invention of a new system of traditions that has started several decades ago? The idea of a traditional marriage has already been destroyed in this country. Higher and higher divorce rates, more children born to non-married parents, more people choosing not to marry at all yet remain in monogamous relationships, these issues have plagued what was once called traditional marriage. I think marriage isn't looked at with the same reverence that it once was, and now one of the main reasons for marrying someone isn't the symbolic and ceremonial aspect anymore, but has more to do with the legal benefits you acquire with respect to your spouse.

Anyways I think, in my country at least, that we are on the precipice of a shift in the conventional traditions. I don't agree with your opinion that this will cause an ultimate collapse of society though. I think if you look at the history of the human race you'll find that many traditions (including but not limited to marriage) have made numerous shifts, changes, and complete metamorphoses all without the complete collapse of society.
It kinda skyrocketed in the pro-support direction after 2011. I'm surprised it's still be argued as if it is still an issue in the states...at this point the die hard anti folk are just fighting against the inevitable. It's kinda like Christians fighting against the evil Athiests. They can try to hold them back, but the battle is lost.They are coming....hide your kids and hide your wives..they are bleeping everyone out here!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1196 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 558 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1686 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I'm Getting Real Down On Elizabeth Warren AFTT47 17 1713 November 3, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1582 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4826 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Meanwhile, Down on the Border Yonadav 6 844 March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  The further dumbing down of the POTUS Joods 6 927 September 20, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1702 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Oh, Poor Mike Pence. His Favorite Hobby Horse Shot Down Minimalist 8 1757 April 21, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger