Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Q about arguments for God's existence.
RE: Q about arguments for God's existence.
(June 13, 2014 at 10:39 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote:
(June 13, 2014 at 3:13 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: A number of various books contain information about assorted gods that billions of people accept as fact. I don't believe those either.

As a fully mature American living in the 21st Century you should have the ability of recognize B.S. when you see it. The comment you posted about dark matter is pure B.S. and whoever wrote it is a world class bull shitter. It's comparable to the idiots who yap about the universe being 13.4 billion years old. If you think about that and what they base their claim on you will see that it's another example of their world-class B.S. And the same is true for the Big Bang.

Use your mind and stop believing B.S. Otherwise you might as well believe in gods, devils, demons, angels, spirits, ghosts, and zombies.

I'm sorry you haven't bothered to research anything to do with astrophysics, and are throwing a defensive tantrum to make yourself feel better about it.

Speaking of bullshit claims, didn't you claim the Big Bang is a Catholic origin myth, when it predates Catholicism by thousands of years in Vedic beliefs?

Might as well start insulting me for not believing 9-11 was an "inside job," or believing the moon landing happened.

Since it was a Catholic priest who publicized the Big Bang and got the local yokels to believe while the Vedics kept it to themselves I'll give the Catholic priest the credit. Too bad the Vedics never got a copyright.

The Big Bang is only applicable on an individual star basis when it goes supernova. It doesn't work for the universe. And even then it has to be modified in order to fit supernova physics.

The Chinese claim that they will soon go to the moon. We'll see how they do. We should have sold them the blueprints. It could have helped reduced the deficit.
(June 10, 2014 at 2:50 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 3:27 am)Stimbo Wrote: No that's not how observations work in science. You don't have to physically observe something for its effects to be tested and measured, and not all observations have to be made visually; in fact hardly any scientific observation is visual.

But that's what you require of God, seems you are setting a double standard.

GC

We require dark matter, the Higgs Bosen particle, black holes, gravity, etc. to be physically demonstrable in some way. That's what we require of god. It's the same standard. So? Can you show any physically demonstrable evidence of god? There's a Nobel in it you can, I'm sure. Hint: I feel him in my heart is not physically demonstrable evidence.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Q about arguments for God's existence.
(June 14, 2014 at 10:48 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 13, 2014 at 10:39 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: I'm sorry you haven't bothered to research anything to do with astrophysics, and are throwing a defensive tantrum to make yourself feel better about it.

Speaking of bullshit claims, didn't you claim the Big Bang is a Catholic origin myth, when it predates Catholicism by thousands of years in Vedic beliefs?

Might as well start insulting me for not believing 9-11 was an "inside job," or believing the moon landing happened.

Since it was a Catholic priest who publicized the Big Bang and got the local yokels to believe while the Vedics kept it to themselves I'll give the Catholic priest the credit. Too bad the Vedics never got a copyright.

The Big Bang is only applicable on an individual star basis when it goes supernova. It doesn't work for the universe. And even then it has to be modified in order to fit supernova physics.

The Chinese claim that they will soon go to the moon. We'll see how they do. We should have sold them the blueprints. It could have helped reduced the deficit.

He was also an astrophysicist.

The theory of a religious cosmology dates to the Vedics.

You're tracing a theory proposed to an astrophysicist, and claiming it's invalid because the astrophysicist happened to be Catholic.

If so, we should also throw out Hubble's Law, and the Hubble Constant.

Should we throw out the methodology and data gathered by the Human Genome Project since Francis Collins is an Evangelical?
Why do you believe the Big Bang Theory as the cause of creation?
(June 9, 2014 at 4:32 am)Stimbo Wrote: The reason some of us call you lot idiots is because of statements like that. Experiments can be devised to test for the presence and influence of dark matter (and dark energy). Tell me of an experiment to do the same for a god.

Incidentally, for the record: I happen to be one of those people who find the dark matter hypothesis unsatisfying. It strikes me as far too conveniently ad hoc. However, I am willing to listen to the evidence from those far more knowledgable of the subject than I will ever be.

I wonder if gravity works differently at the very very large scale, like things are different at the quantum level?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 15, 2014 at 4:49 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(June 9, 2014 at 4:32 am)Stimbo Wrote: The reason some of us call you lot idiots is because of statements like that. Experiments can be devised to test for the presence and influence of dark matter (and dark energy). Tell me of an experiment to do the same for a god.

Incidentally, for the record: I happen to be one of those people who find the dark matter hypothesis unsatisfying. It strikes me as far too conveniently ad hoc. However, I am willing to listen to the evidence from those far more knowledgable of the subject than I will ever be.

I wonder if gravity works differently at the very very large scale, like things are different at the quantum level?

There's a theory for that: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_...n_dynamics

Others are also working on unified theories to reconcile quantum theory and relativity:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Unified_Theory - seen as an intermediate step to a Theory of Everything (in physics).
(June 13, 2014 at 12:27 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: We all have beliefs inculcated in us from the moment we're capable of grasping our surroundings and learn language. It's just not in human nature - in ANY humans nature - to go around rockin the boat of their web of beliefs. I don't care who they are or what ideology they hold to, they will demonstrably have beliefs they don't challenge and protect with some degree of irrationality (this is especially visible with political beliefs). And the reason for this doesn't seem to be terribly hard to recognize and appreciate: constantly considering your beliefs about the world (especially deeply held ones) doesn't tend to lead to a productive organism, but often a paralysis of thought. This is where the true tradegy of what Betrand Russell noticed can be seen: The idiots are all cocksure and the smarter ones full of doubt, arrogant though that comes across as.

That's about it. Unfortunately even knowing that we are aware of confirmation bias doesn't always help. Thinking that you think clearly because you know you are biased is a bias in and of itself.

The only trick I know of is to be aware that what makes your blood rise (please no phallic jokes Tongue), turns your brain off.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
As a True Gentleman I wouldn't presume to insert anything phallic in there.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 15, 2014 at 9:38 pm)Stimbo Wrote: As a True Gentleman I wouldn't presume to insert anything phallic in there.

Do you know any true gentlemen who are still fun?
(June 14, 2014 at 10:48 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: The Big Bang is only applicable on an individual star basis when it goes supernova. It doesn't work for the universe. And even then it has to be modified in order to fit supernova physics.

Pardon?

This is gibberish. The Big Bang has nothing to do with supernovae. The two aren't even remotely similar. You seem to have confused these things on a scale comparable to stripping down a car engine to look for the horses in it. It's that sort of basic misunderstanding of the terminology.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4551 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11528 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1989 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3464 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 7247 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14521 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16822 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23434 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8963 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  What self-subsists, maximum or minimal existence? Mystic 19 2271 March 16, 2017 at 2:51 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets