Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Q about arguments for God's existence.
RE: Q about arguments for God's existence.
(July 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm)Lek Wrote: In fact, Jesus said that if we followed him, we would face trials and persecution.

(July 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm)Lek Wrote: He was talking to his disciples at the time, who did suffer extreme persecution from the Jewish leaders and then from the Romans and other gentile rulers.

Put those goalposts back where you found 'em!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I feel ya Lek. My cat persecuted me this morning over a bowl of kibble. This was after my alarm clock persecuted me. Of course my kids immediately started persecuting me because I hadn't finished cooking breakfast before they woke up. Then I get online and my own atrocious spelling and grammar starts persecuting me. I've got this gash acrossed my foot that's been persecuting me for awhile, as it healed. To top it all off......there was some sort of bacteria persecuting me over the entirety of last month - I was deaf in my left ear.

-It's a wonder I can even function, as persecuted as I am.

Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm)Lek Wrote: It's not a teaching of christianity that it would improve the physical quality of your life. In fact, Jesus said that if we followed him, we would face trials and persecution.

Ya, and guess who else has faced persecution and trials?

Jews, women, blacks, LGBT people, Commies, Muslims, murderers, rapists, Liberals, Conservatives, dictators, Nazis, politicans, slaves, thieves, children, sluts, pro athletes, Hindus, denominations of Christians, Buddhists, etc.

Do you see where this is going? Practically EVERYONE faces persecution at some point in their life, regardless of actions and beliefs, good or bad.

Jesus' prediction of the persecution of his followers was like predicting that the sun would rise again. Dodgy
Meh, the reason that this persecution bit is ingrained into the overall christian experience is that they have an established mythos of persecution. That the persecutions they form this mythos around didn't actually occur doesn't bother them now anymore than it did then; when they decided to tell the tale...........and for obvious reasons we wouldn't expect it to.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 6, 2014 at 9:49 am)Broseph Ballin Wrote: Ya, and guess who else has faced persecution and trials?

Jews, women, blacks, LGBT people, Commies, Muslims, murderers, rapists, Liberals, Conservatives, dictators, Nazis, politicans, slaves, thieves, children, sluts, pro athletes, Hindus, denominations of Christians, Buddhists, etc.

Do you see where this is going? Practically EVERYONE faces persecution at some point in their life, regardless of actions and beliefs, good or bad.

Jesus' prediction of the persecution of his followers was like predicting that the sun would rise again. Dodgy

I guess Bob Dylan had it right when he sang "everybody must get stoned."
(July 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm)Lek Wrote:
(July 6, 2014 at 9:49 am)Broseph Ballin Wrote: Ya, and guess who else has faced persecution and trials?

I guess Bob Dylan had it right when he sang "everybody must get stoned."

What I find particularly amazing, however, is that for a group like the christians, so willing to cry persecution for themselves, you remain quite blind to your own contribution to the persecution of others. Thinking

Because the first four of that list have been the favorite targets of christianity throughout history...
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
My favorite argument for god was the Ontological argument which is a very odd one indeed. Essentially god exists because he is able to be fathomed in the mind(like an imaginary friend). The issue though is that these arguments must have a definition of god and a definition which does not support the existence of other gods. If I was able to conclude that a god is a supreme being then none of the gods in any religion except in Hinduism would be classified as supreme. From there on out it just goes down hill.

But ontological arguments do help clarify the worthlessness of concerning what a god is or is not. Many arguments for god are better used as refutations then as positive arguments
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
(July 7, 2014 at 6:42 am)Esquilax Wrote: What I find particularly amazing, however, is that for a group like the christians, so willing to cry persecution for themselves, you remain quite blind to your own contribution to the persecution of others. Thinking

I'm not blind to the persecution that christians did to others. It was wrong. That doesn't negate the persecution that christians have experienced.
Just remember that when Jesus returns for the last time he will kill all life and destroy the world. That's the ultimate persecution so it must be wrong, don't you agree?
(July 8, 2014 at 7:29 pm)Lek Wrote: I'm not blind to the persecution that christians did to others. It was wrong. That doesn't negate the persecution that christians have experienced.
-largely at the hands of other christians. You folks have been crying wolf for so damned long I don't know why anyone listens. Hell, the only times you seem to have valid grounds for complaints we find out that your co-conspirators are the ones holding the bloody dagger - not that you seemed to be decrying the deeds of the same the day before - when they were actively skullfucking your shared enemies.

Cry me a river.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4616 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11606 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1993 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3470 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 7268 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14579 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16858 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23479 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 9004 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  What self-subsists, maximum or minimal existence? Mystic 19 2280 March 16, 2017 at 2:51 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets