Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 9:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What were Jesus and early Christians like?
RE: What were Jesus and early Christians like?
(March 4, 2015 at 3:51 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm interested in how this "historical Jesus" is more of a real person than the "historical Harry Potter" would be, if it was based on a boy called Harry, who had a brother, said a couple of the things Harry said, and went to school.

Stop talking nonsense, Rob. Everyone knows that Harry had a cousin, not a brother.

And are you seriously trying to say that the Battle of Hogwarts wasn't a real historical event?

(March 4, 2015 at 12:22 pm)robvalue Wrote: Having never been religious, it is really hard for me to try and get into the mindset of what it must be like to be a (religious) theist. To think that there's all this magic stuff going on everywhere, all these weird characters having cosmic battles, and that there is a god actually interacting with us. To me it sounds kind of like living in a cartoon that has been superimposed on reality.

[Image: ea0a4ab0d33860211d318ff962d827a51848633b...5482df.jpg]

Sorry to derail. Back to your regularly scheduled thread posts... Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(March 4, 2015 at 10:57 am)watchamadoodle Wrote: Drich, how come some of your posts have so many typos, but some others are nearly perfect (like the above post)? Do you get your wife to proofread sometimes? I keep wondering if you have split personalities like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Smile

Some posts are on my ipad and some are on the computer. The Ipad has auto correct, while the computer seems to have an auto incorrect program built in.

(March 4, 2015 at 10:57 am)abaris Wrote:
(March 4, 2015 at 10:37 am)Drich Wrote: It's like talking to evolved monkies. 90% of the time.

Yeah, the difference being we are evolved whereas your smiley use points to a different conclusion.

So what have you learned doing your google search? Care to elaborate on your critical use of the source? How does it compare to all the details of the story we find in the bible?

See, that's the real difference between wanting to believe and actually studying a certain field. Comparing your source, which in your case would be the Jesus tale in the bible, with the proven facts of how people at a given time handled things. In the case of Jesus, they don't add up.

Curious, if you find out why or if you're even interested to find out why.

Now your moving the goal posts. We were taling about Pilate who is very well documented out side of holy text, and now you want to shift to jesus where any text that mentions Him is dismissed because it is holy. Again, it does not seem like you intrested in source material.
Why don't you learn to spell?
(March 4, 2015 at 10:59 am)Sionnach Wrote:
(March 4, 2015 at 10:37 am)Drich Wrote: 90% of the time You emotionally rant and rave, and base everything on what you think is right. Or better yet you defend on what you heard/want to believe, without vetting the source. Like your dismissal of everything you don't want to believe about pilate. No reason stated, no authorative source material referenced. just your 'feelings' based on some meaningless degree you claim to have.

A perfect description of theism. Tiger

proof?

no?

Then is it really theism I'm describing?
(March 4, 2015 at 12:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why don't you learn to spell?

If he could learn he wouldn't be a drich.
(March 4, 2015 at 12:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why don't you learn to spell?

Spell what?
Anything. Ever.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G= Anything

E-V-E-R= Ever

[Image: 044.gif]
I adore the fact that that post is edited.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I could have just left [img]www.cute-factor.com/images/smilies/onion/044.gif[/img] as is, but I decided to add the Http// to give you all [Image: 044.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do conservative theologians prefer early dating of documents? LinuxGal 3 870 December 9, 2022 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3166 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5921 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3856 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8174 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2591 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Jesus : The Early years chimp3 139 23141 April 1, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 15148 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3153 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 21479 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball