Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Catholic
RE: Ask a Catholic
After 19 pages I'll assume that the answer to my reasonable question is: "like chicken".
(May 15, 2015 at 5:11 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: I'm a Catholic. You have questions. Let's get started.

Still waiting.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(May 28, 2015 at 10:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Perhaps he has no answers?

We could make up answers for him.
(May 28, 2015 at 10:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Perhaps he has no answers?

The marriage of "ask" and "Catholic" in the thread title means that goes without saying.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 28, 2015 at 9:48 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Yeah... Randy, I suggest you re-involve yourself in this thread.  I'm really sick of posting in green for you, and it's extremely bad form to come here, start a conversation, especially one who's title's prefix is "Ask a", and ignore the thread.  

Sorry...I was busy in the "Why Be Good" thread.

(May 20, 2015 at 6:13 pm)francismjenkins Wrote: Why do Catholic priests fetishize little boys? 

Are you referring to each and every Catholic priest on the planet? 

Or just the very tiny percentage which is actually lower than the number of pedophiles teaching at your local elementary schools?
Nihilism is true (if by purpose you mean some sort of supernatural omnipotent intelligent cosmic being that grants purpose to everything in the universe), and yet atheists still manage to commit less crimes than the religious, for some reason they're less likely to get divorced, they're more educated, and in virtually every metric we commonly associate with "morality" .... atheists seem to outperform everyone else (without even trying).

In fact, at this point northern Europe is one of the most atheistic places on earth, and yet they outperform pretty much everywhere else on earth in almost every way. So apparently nihilism isn't so bad after all (sorry Nietzsche ... but I still love you) Smile

But strictly speaking we do have purpose, its just that magic has nothing to do with it. Survival, happiness, material comfort, sexual satisfaction, love, family, etc., these are the underlying things that largely drive our behavior. 

And as far as pedophiles go ... it was more like 5% of the priesthood (which is much higher than the population at large). 
A question:

Many of us Atheists have read the bible (which likely contributed to some of our "deconversions"). So, does it work both ways?

Suppose I provided you a copy of 'The God Delusion', would you read it? If not, why?
(May 26, 2015 at 6:15 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote: Your explanation why the catholic faith was true was because of reason and grace. That’s a little insane. How is that an explanation for providing us with evidence that leads to truth? Most people on here care about truth,  so when you claim something to be true, actually provide facts to back it up in the future.

To me, confession is very twisted. To force the little seven year olds to go into a room with a priest by themselves, and force them to tell this man all the bad things they have done. That’s seriously twisted. I remember my first time doing it and the next 30-35 times over the years. I was nervous up until when I was 16 or something. Then you got some sinless, judgmental pricks in there, who would ask, ”Why would you do something like that?” when it was something minor. It never made sense why I couldn’t repent to god and the person I wronged.

Do you believe you have to confess your sins to get into heaven? I was taught that you couldn’t go to heaven unless you confessed your sins to a priest.

It is not an absolute necessity but a normative necessity...except in the case of mortal sin when it is an absolute necessity.

I am going to assume that you do not believe in God and the Bible is just a work of fiction. I understand that.

However, would you be willing to concede that Catholics believe that God does exists and that the Church and the Bible are authoritative? That's logical, right?

So, the Bible (and the Church) teaches that the apostles were given authority by Jesus to forgive sin .

John 20:22-23
When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Now, how could the apostles forgive sins unless they knew of them? And how could they know of them unless they were confessed?

There are many other verses from the OT and the NT which support the sacrament of reconciliation.

Quote:Do you believe that god actually answers prayers (I mean not with a “no” answer all the time)?

Yes. I know so.

Quote:Can you see why people don’t believe in prayers?

Quote:It appears that things just happen. God says “yes” to the things that are going to happen anyway, and the things that are likely to never happen or that are impossible to happen without a god, don’t. If you believe in prayer, maybe provide an example or two why you do.

If you don't mind, this is a very hostile forum, and I don't need to have my own personal experiences mocked by those who are not really in a position to understand. Sorry.

What I would suggest instead is that you ask, ask again, or continue to ask that God reveal Himself to you. He's been waiting for all eternity to do so.
(May 29, 2015 at 10:18 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: 1. If you don't mind, this is a very hostile forum, and I don't need to have my own personal experiences mocked by those who are not really in a position to understand. Sorry.

2. What I would suggest instead is that you ask, ask again, or continue to ask that God reveal Himself to you. He's been waiting for all eternity to do so.

1.  Hostile isn't necessarily the right word.  People here are just sick of the same old stuff, over and over ad nauseam.  Especially when those claims have no actual proof or evidence of any kind.

2. See previous answer.

Bonus: What of my question?  Is it not worth your time?
(May 27, 2015 at 11:18 pm)Spooky Wrote: A question:

Many of us Atheists have read the bible (which likely contributed to some of our "deconversions"). So, does it work both ways?

Suppose I provided you a copy of 'The God Delusion', would you read it? If not, why?

I wouldn't have a problem with that because it is useful to understand the arguments of the people you are trying to persuade.

Candidly, the LACK of references to books, articles and so forth has been one of the biggest surprises (and disappointments) of this forum. You are the first person that I can recall actually referencing a book since I joined three weeks ago. I'm used to discussions where people back up what they are saying with links, and quotes with sources, etc.

Perhaps you would be willing to read The God-less Delusion by Patrick Madrid? And there are other responses to Dawkins which may be even better than that one.

And for a good refresher on the Christian basics, I would suggest Luke and Acts...you can read them in a couple of evenings.

(May 28, 2015 at 10:04 pm)Cato Wrote: After 19 pages I'll assume that the answer to my reasonable question is: "like chicken".

The accidents of the bread remain.

(May 29, 2015 at 10:03 pm)francismjenkins Wrote: Nihilism is true (if by purpose you mean some sort of supernatural omnipotent intelligent cosmic being that grants purpose to everything in the universe), and yet atheists still manage to commit less crimes than the religious, for some reason they're less likely to get divorced, they're more educated, and in virtually every metric we commonly associate with "morality" .... atheists seem to outperform everyone else (without even trying).

In fact, at this point northern Europe is one of the most atheistic places on earth, and yet they outperform pretty much everywhere else on earth in almost every way. So apparently nihilism isn't so bad after all (sorry Nietzsche ... but I still love you) Smile

But strictly speaking we do have purpose, its just that magic has nothing to do with it. Survival, happiness, material comfort, sexual satisfaction, love, family, etc., these are the underlying things that largely drive our behavior. 

And as far as pedophiles go ... it was more like 5% of the priesthood (which is much higher than the population at large). 

Depends on the study. One said that 4% had been accused, but some accusations were themselves not credible.

That said, how would you respond to the errors of those members of this forum who seem to be convinced that ALL Catholic priests and the entire Catholic Church is simply one giant pedophile ring?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 37546 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 379 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4129 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1660 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1417 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 840 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2619 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2266 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 669 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2219 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama