Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 7:28 pm

Poll: ...
This poll is closed.
Yes (please explain)
13.64%
3 13.64%
No (please explain)
31.82%
7 31.82%
Other (you guessed it, please explain lol)
54.55%
12 54.55%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your views on MARRIAGE
RE: Your views on MARRIAGE
(July 10, 2015 at 3:45 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote:
(July 10, 2015 at 3:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The only thing I despise more than religion is Facebook.  They both do approximately the same amount of harm but FB is growing and religion is shrinking.

How come?
I agree, but I'm just curious as to why you're hostile towards them.

It's an enormous time suck.
(July 10, 2015 at 3:30 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: This is the first time I've done this. Please don't be dishonest.

You're ignoring the context of what happened, when I clearly provided it to you and you may go and check what I said. I will repeat myself. She asked my opinion on something while misquoting what I actually said and then putting words in my mouth which I never actually said. She tried to make me sound as though I said something else than what I really said. Then she kept pressuring me until I expounded on my initial views. Opon my doing that she dismissed my opinions altogether. I think this is unforgiveable. If you think not, then I'll keep it in mind and do the same thing to you, just so you can see what it's like, deal?

No. Pretty sure you've been calling people different things. Lazy, flakers, bitches, all sorts of stuff.

Even if what you accuse her of is true, your response was uncalled for. Quote mining is against the rules, so I'd advise you not to do it, and I do not find that unforgiveable.

Seriously, you appear to have some issues.

/derail
(July 10, 2015 at 3:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(July 10, 2015 at 3:45 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: How come?
I agree, but I'm just curious as to why you're hostile towards them.

It's an enormous time suck.

Kinda like this? Wink
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
The following Bible Verses are relevant and reflect my opinion of marriage:

Hebrews 13:4 "Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous."

Ephesians 5:33 "Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband."

Matthew 19:4-9 "And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."
Uh, Chad, care to put your thoughts in your own words? You've been here long enough; you know the rules.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(July 10, 2015 at 4:05 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Uh, Chad, care to put your thoughts in your own words? You've been here long enough; you know the rules.

I have update the post to include a comment and my opinion that the verses quoted are relevant.
I don't really care if people want to get married, but I object when married couples get deferential treatment or perks that I, as a single woman, do not.

I love the idea of having one wonderful monogamous partner for the rest of my life,
but ideally I'd want him to keep his own house and his own money and independence.

Maybe we could buy houses next door to each other, but that's about as close as I'd like to get.

The only marriage I've ever personally observed that I actually admired
was between a STRAIGHT WOMAN and a GAY MAN,
who grew up together and were best friends.

They bought a house together, shared living expenses, and all of life's burdens...they remained best friends;
they both put the family and each other FIRST, and their sex lives, second.

They had two children by in-vitro fertilization
which they both loved and raised together, like any parents.

They both worked, came home and had dinner as a family, talked about their day, and also did regular family things and had family vacations.

But, she had her own boyfriends, outside of the house
and so did he.

They didn't deceive the kids about their respective orientations;
but (like most parents) they also didn't include the children in any in-depth discussions about their personal sex lives, either.

The main thing was, the kids knew that both their parents loved them, and each other,
and had a very stable, respectful, loving family life,

and they both made it very clear to their sexual partners that they were already married,
and were not going to be available for marriage to anyone else, down the road;

and the boyfriends outside of the house were also guys who also didn't want to get married,
so everyone was happy.

It was the most fulfilled, happy marriage I've ever seen.
(July 10, 2015 at 4:18 pm)MTL Wrote: I don't really care if people want to get married, but I object when married couples get deferential treatment or perks that I, as a single woman, do not.

I love the idea of having one wonderful monogamous partner for the rest of my life,
but ideally I'd want him to keep his own house and his own money and independence.

Maybe we could buy houses next door to each other, but that's about as close as I'd like to get.

The only marriage I've ever personally observed that I actually admired
was between a STRAIGHT WOMAN and a GAY MAN,
who grew up together and were best friends.

They bought a house together, shared living expenses, and all of life's burdens...they remained best friends;
they both put the family and each other FIRST, and their sex lives, second.

They had two children by in-vitro fertilization
which they both loved and raised together, like any parents.

They both worked, came home and had dinner as a family, talked about their day, and also did regular family things and had family vacations.

But, she had her own boyfriends, outside of the house
and so did he.

They didn't deceive the kids about their respective orientations;
but (like most parents) they also didn't include the children in any in-depth discussions about their personal sex lives, either.

The main thing was, the kids knew that both their parents loved them, and each other,
and had a very stable, respectful, loving family life,

and they both made it very clear to their sexual partners that they were already married,
and were not going to be available for marriage to anyone else, down the road;

and the boyfriends outside of the house were also guys who also didn't want to get married,
so everyone was happy.

It was the most fulfilled, happy marriage I've ever seen.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(July 10, 2015 at 10:33 am)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(July 10, 2015 at 7:02 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: Right, I was just arguing that one cheating spouse out of ten, doesn't put you at more of a risk then one out of one. Any time you have multiple partners who have multiple partners your chance is going to increase. I just don't see how anyone can make the argument that polygamy itself increases your chance for an std, because in the case of polygamous marriage and monogamous marriage, for the chances of std's to increase you have to go outside of the marriage.

The causation is indirect. Polygamy itself doesn't increase the chances of std, but the fact that you're more likely to be exposed to a cheating spouse does.

Which is why I don't think its a good argument against polygamy being legal, what we are really talking about is promiscuous behavior being the problem.
(July 10, 2015 at 4:18 pm)MTL Wrote:

I love that! It's so sweet!
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1202 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 560 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1689 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1584 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views? Seraphina 70 10026 January 28, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Trump Says His Views on Gays are "Evolving" Rhondazvous 19 2221 April 5, 2016 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheists, do you support same-sex marriage? TristanTeller 72 16232 July 31, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Cato
  What are your political views? Catholic_Lady 57 13298 July 18, 2015 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll) Catholic_Lady 171 24237 July 9, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  GOP to unveil bill to stop affirmation of same-sex marriage Foxaèr 10 3248 April 23, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Pyrrho