Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 5:20 am

Poll: Your continent
This poll is closed.
Asia
6.78%
31 6.78%
Antarctica
0.88%
4 0.88%
The Arctic
0.88%
4 0.88%
Australia
5.25%
24 5.25%
North America
56.24%
257 56.24%
South America
0.44%
2 0.44%
Europe
25.38%
116 25.38%
Africa
1.53%
7 1.53%
Other
2.63%
12 2.63%
Total 457 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where do you come from?
RE: Where do you come from?
Yeah. Just noticed I put Arabic in twice. I meant Spanish.

I find it harder because Spanish has ways of expressing ones ideas that English no longer utilizes, such as the subjunctive. But even then, I am not sure all Spanish speakers would see that ojala likely comes from the Moors, a phrase that means God wills it. It pretty much means the same thing even if you remove the reference to God...aka it is willed that you do this task.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(May 5, 2015 at 8:49 pm)Polaris Wrote: Yeah. Just noticed I put Arabic in twice. I meant Spanish.

I find it harder because Spanish has ways of expressing ones ideas that English no longer utilizes, such as the subjunctive. But even then, I am not sure all Spanish speakers would see that ojala likely comes from the Moors, a phrase that means God wills it. It pretty much means the same thing even if you remove the reference to God...aka it is willed that you do this task.

... I just noticed that ... 
It makes me feel disturbed ...
And happy ...
And I don't know why  Sad

As for me, I find it easier to express myself in English. IDK why either. 
I think I'm running into a wall of questions  Huh Dodgy

Maybe I just need to rest my mind for a little bit  Tongue
[Image: tumblr_m2vsmhTfM41qa1e2io1_r1_500.gif]
(May 5, 2015 at 8:29 pm)dahrling Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 8:29 pm)Polaris Wrote: ..
English is hard because it got rid of most of its grammar.

Actually, because English got rid of most of its grammar rules that it has become much easier to learn in comparison with other languages. (in my opinion)

English didn't get rid of it's grammar rules, it got rid of it's grammar rule consistency.  Lets not even talk about Ebonics..
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(May 5, 2015 at 8:57 pm)Brakeman Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 8:29 pm)dahrling Wrote: ..
Actually, because English got rid of most of its grammar rules that it has become much easier to learn in comparison with other languages. (in my opinion)

English didn't get rid of it's grammar rules, it got rid of it's grammar rule consistency.  Lets not even talk about Ebonics..

I find Ebonics hard to understand sometimes  Tongue

... I just noticed I'm forever alone here, there are more people from Antarctica in this forum than from South America ...  Angry Sad

Angry Mob
(May 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm)dahrling Wrote: I just noticed I'm forever alone here, there are more people from Antarctica in this forum than from South America

That just means you're special. Big Grin

In the good way, not the other way.
You won't see many people from outside of Germanic European ancestry (not trying to be racist, just an observation) on an English atheist site. Latin Americans are probably some of the most heavily Christian in the world and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

There could be atheist websites in other languages where you see more minorities, but I am not aware of them as I wouldn't be able to read their content in an authentic manner. I have found translators to be too unreliable.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(May 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm)dahrling Wrote: ... I just noticed I'm forever alone here, there are more people from Antarctica in this forum than from South America ...  Angry Sad

Oddly enough, we get some people from Brazil sometimes. But they always get banned. Be the exception to that rule.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 5, 2015 at 9:23 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm)dahrling Wrote: ... I just noticed I'm forever alone here, there are more people from Antarctica in this forum than from South America ...  Angry Sad

Oddly enough, we get some people from Brazil sometimes. But they always get banned. Be the exception to that rule.

You're doing well enough so far.
(May 5, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Jericho Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm)dahrling Wrote: I just noticed I'm forever alone here, there are more people from Antarctica in this forum than from South America

That just means you're special.  Big Grin

In the good way, not the other way.

Giggle  Am I glad to hear I'm not special in the "other" baaaad way  Tongue

(May 5, 2015 at 9:17 pm)Polaris Wrote: You won't see many people from outside of Germanic European ancestry (not trying to be racist, just an observation) on an English atheist site. Latin Americans are probably some of the most heavily Christian in the world and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

There could be atheist websites in other languages where you see more minorities, but I am not aware of them as I wouldn't be able to read their content in an authentic manner. I have found translators to be too unreliable.

It's true, Latin Americans are *very* religious. 
OH LORD. Why *me*? Why did *I* have to be born here LORD? Whyyyyyyy?

The worst part is, at least in Brazil, people are becoming more and more religious. 

(May 5, 2015 at 9:23 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm)dahrling Wrote: ... I just noticed I'm forever alone here, there are more people from Antarctica in this forum than from South America ...  Angry Sad 

Oddly enough, we get some people from Brazil sometimes. But they always get banned. Be the exception to that rule.

*gulp* May I ask why they always get banned?  Begging
I suspect they come here with the intent to convert people

(May 5, 2015 at 9:29 pm)Jericho Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 9:23 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Oddly enough, we get some people from Brazil sometimes. But they always get banned. Be the exception to that rule.

You're doing well enough so far.

Cheers!
(May 5, 2015 at 10:46 pm)dahrling Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 9:23 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Oddly enough, we get some people from Brazil sometimes. But they always get banned. Be the exception to that rule.

*gulp* May I ask why they always get banned?  Begging
I suspect they come here with the intent to convert people
Mostly trolling. It's not really a trend. I think two Brasilians that I can remember.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I thought id come back and say dyresand 7 1251 December 26, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Request permission to come aboard. topher 19 3309 May 5, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: topher
  When do you come from? (How old are you?) CleanShavenJesus 102 21406 August 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Terr
  I have come to teach the masses! The Winter Saint 31 6055 September 5, 2011 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  I come here seeking sanity True Unbeliever 8 3298 January 19, 2009 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet