Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 12:14 pm

Poll: Your continent
This poll is closed.
Asia
6.78%
31 6.78%
Antarctica
0.88%
4 0.88%
The Arctic
0.88%
4 0.88%
Australia
5.25%
24 5.25%
North America
56.24%
257 56.24%
South America
0.44%
2 0.44%
Europe
25.38%
116 25.38%
Africa
1.53%
7 1.53%
Other
2.63%
12 2.63%
Total 457 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where do you come from?
RE: Where do you come from?
(May 5, 2015 at 10:53 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 10:46 pm)dahrling Wrote: *gulp* May I ask why they always get banned?  Begging
I suspect they come here with the intent to convert people
Mostly trolling. It's not really a trend. I think two Brasilians that I can remember.

These trolls  Angry Why can't they just stick to their fairy tale world?  Tongue
Are you sure they were actually from Brazil, and not just... you know... trolling people and saying that's where they were from?  Deadpan
[Image: tumblr_m2vsmhTfM41qa1e2io1_r1_500.gif]
(May 5, 2015 at 8:05 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(May 5, 2015 at 5:11 am)pocaracas Wrote: spanish? Big Grin

I find it easier to understand people from Brazil than those from Portugal. It's like they speak gypsy with the European version.

Tongue
Not gypsy... russian... at least, that's what other people tell me.
It's a "complaint" on how we use the RR's. We make them rumble like the russian do.
In Brazilian (that's what I'm calling pt-br), these RR's also exist, but do get softened a bit. They do add a few sounds which do not belong and all trailing L's sound like U's. i.e, they can't even say their own country's name properly! Tongue Bráziu

Which brings us to the vowels... yes, brazilians do tend to open them up more, so you get "less" vowel sounds. In portuguese (that's pt-pt) we use a lot of different vowel sounds - a, e, i, o, u, á, é, í, ó, ú, ãe, ão, ê, êe, õe... all these sound different.. and there may be a few more.

Anyway, Welcome aboard dahrling. I must say... you write much better english than most (if not all) brazillians I've seen writing portuguese! Tongue
(May 5, 2015 at 8:57 pm)Brakeman Wrote: English didn't get rid of it's grammar rules, it got rid of it's grammar rule consistency.

its

ROFLOL
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm)dahrling Wrote: More than once I thought I heard people speaking Russian when they were really speaking European Portuguese.
See what I mean?! karkhov!
Wink
(May 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm)dahrling Wrote: Now after listening to some TV in EU-PT I can understand it naturally. Even though sometimes the manner in which they speak still makes me cringe. Some of it just sounds so formal and antiquated.  But I'm sure they think we butcher their language with our peasant accents Tongue 

Formal and antiquated?!
Well, the antiquated part is.. err.. supposed to be, huh. It is the mother tongue and must have changed little in the past 500 years...
Brazilian, however, had other influences which corrupted the original purity of the language! Tongue

As for formal... well, you're the people who treat everyone, including your own kids, with the formal second person "você", which then requires the third person of the verb that follows. That's messed up. The informal second person is "tu" which always uses the second person of the verbs... And spanish always use "tu", even in formal venues, like the english use "you". This usage of "você" must be some leftover from colonial times (or should I say slaving times), where everyone wanted to be treated as a noble.
Of course, brazilian usage of mainly first and third person of verbs, makes it easier to memorize the verbal forms to use.... for plural, just add an -s and you're safe most of the time.

Then, some of us can still properly use the second person plural - that's antiquated as hell, but it sounds good when properly applied (it's awesome for sarcastic formality Wink )
(May 5, 2015 at 8:57 pm)Brakeman Wrote: English didn't get rid of its grammar rules, it got 'Murricans.

Fixed that for ya.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Way ahead of you, Steel

The point being, of course, that this happens to be one of the inconsistencies, which means it could be meant as a subtle joke to write it's.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

One nation, under 'Murrica.
With peace and justice for 'Murricans. Amen.

And it was good.
It's vs its is one that got me for the longest!
Its is a possessive, it should have an apostrophe! But that simple rule, if you would say 'it is' or 'it has,' then it's 'it's.' I say that shit internally. A lot.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I thought id come back and say dyresand 7 1251 December 26, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Request permission to come aboard. topher 19 3310 May 5, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: topher
  When do you come from? (How old are you?) CleanShavenJesus 102 21414 August 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Terr
  I have come to teach the masses! The Winter Saint 31 6056 September 5, 2011 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  I come here seeking sanity True Unbeliever 8 3298 January 19, 2009 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet