Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Get In The Ark Before It Is Too Late!!!
RE: Get In The Ark Before It Is Too Late!!!
So you must believe that the First Century Middle East Jews Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote some of it because they were eye witnesses to the events they wrote about. Thanks for explaining that.
(June 27, 2014 at 2:06 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: So you must believe that the First Century Middle East Jews Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote some of it because they were eye witnesses to the events they wrote about. Thanks for explaining that.

Huh, strawman and non sequitur. You commit logical fallacies on a regular basis, it seems. No wonder.
(June 26, 2014 at 11:40 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Being a servant or slave back in Biblical times with the exception of under Egypt's oppression, not like what we are familiar with in America. It was a way of life for many to survive in Israel's economy.

The bible says you can beat your slaves until they die, so long as they linger with their injuries for a few days first. It also says that the children of slaves are also slaves to the one who owns their parents. Are you okay with that?

Quote: Homosexuality is not a natural act and is considered sin in the Bible. God did not create man to have sex with another man nor any animals for that matter.

Homosexuality occurs in nature with many species, thus making it, by definition, natural.

And frankly, what god "created" man to do is completely irrelevant: you lot are always going on about how we have free will in order to excuse god's lack of intervention in evil acts, the least you could do is behave consistently about that.

Besides, we fallible humans are able to improve upon god's designs in numerous ways, so let's not pretend that the guy's slapdash workmanship is the be all and end all of how things are supposed to work. We're clearly better craftsmen than him when it comes to organisms now.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Since you refuse to consider alternatives you must believe the orthodox version. If that's the case then you must believe that the First Century Middle East Jews Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote some of it because they were eye witnesses to the events they wrote about. After all, they get credit for writing the books that bear their names. Those names don't seem like traditional Middle East Jewish names to me but maybe they do to you.
(June 26, 2014 at 11:40 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Women have equal worth in the Bible

Not according to your holey book of bullshit:
Leviticus 27:1-7
27:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
27:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When a man shall make a singular vow, the persons shall be for the LORD by thy estimation.
27:3 And thy estimation shall be of the male from twenty years old even unto sixty years old, even thy estimation shall be fifty shekels of silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary.
27:4 And if it be a female, then thy estimation shall be thirty shekels.
27:5 And if it be from five years old even unto twenty years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male twenty shekels, and for the female ten shekels.
27:6 And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver.
27:7 And if it be from sixty years old and above; if it be a male, then thy estimation shall be fifteen shekels, and for the female ten shekels.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Does anyone have a source for a copy of the original Jerome Bible? The current one I've seen is written in contemporary English.
(June 27, 2014 at 2:29 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Since you refuse to consider alternatives you must believe the orthodox version. If that's the case then you must believe that the First Century Middle East Jews Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote some of it because they were eye witnesses to the events they wrote about. After all, they get credit for writing the books that bear their names. Those names don't seem like traditional Middle East Jewish names to me but maybe they do to you.

You're way off on what I believe concerning the authorship of the Gospels. Keep trying.
(June 27, 2014 at 2:29 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Since you refuse to consider alternatives you must believe the orthodox version. If that's the case then you must believe that the First Century Middle East Jews Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote some of it because they were eye witnesses to the events they wrote about. After all, they get credit for writing the books that bear their names. Those names don't seem like traditional Middle East Jewish names to me but maybe they do to you.

Let's start with the names.

Matthew

Quote:The Hebrew name "מַתִּתְיָהוּ" (Matityahu) was transliterated into Greek to "Ματταθίας" (Mattathias),[8] which was shortened to "Ματθαῖος" – (Matthaios). Deceptively, it is therefore unrelated to θεῖος (theios) meaning divine (adjective, e.g. theology) or sulfur (Koine noun, e.g. thiol group).[9] The Greek Ματθαῖος was Latinised as Matthaeus, which became Matthew in English.

Mark

Quote:Mark is a common male given name and is derived from old Latin "Mart-kos", which means "consecrated to the god Mars", and also may mean "God of war" or "to be warlike".[citation needed] Marcus was one of the three most common given names in Ancient Rome. See Roman given names.

Luke

Quote:The name Luke is derived from the Latin name Lucas or from the Greek Loukas, meaning "man from Lucania" (a region of Italy). Although the name is attested in ancient inscriptions, the best known historical use of the name is in the New Testament

John

Quote:John is a masculine given name in the English language. The name is derived from the Latin Ioannes, Iohannes, which is a form of the Greek Ἰωάννης. This Greek name Ἰωάννης is in turn a form of the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן, Yôḥanan which means "Graced by YHWH". There are numerous forms of the name in different languages.[1]

This means that, in the 1st century, the names would have been Matityahu, Marcus, Lucas and Yôḥanan. This doesn't prove that the gospels attributed to them really are eye witness accounts. There were other gospels which were rejected as canon, including the Gnostic Gospels.

Non-canonical gospels

The trail in this discussion has gone back to earlier than the late 4th century so you'll have to leave the English out of it.

England -Early Middle Ages (600–1066)

Quote:At the start of the Middle Ages, England was a part of Britannia, a former province of the Roman Empire. The English economy had once been dominated by imperial Roman spending on a large military establishment, which in turn helped to support a complex network of towns, roads, and villas.[1] At the end of the 4th century, however, Roman forces had been largely withdrawn, and the English economy collapsed.[2] Germanic immigrants began to arrive in increasing numbers during the 5th century, initially peacefully, establishing small farms and settlements.[3]

The word, English, in this context is referring to an area of Britain which eventually became known as England because the article is about the history of this area. There weren't any English people living in it, though, when the 'Old Latin Bible' was written. Enlgish people didn't even exist then unless you count the pagan Angles and Saxons who didn't start moving to Britain until the 5th century.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(June 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Dearest Atheist Friends,
Jesus warned us of how things would be at the end of the age. We are now living in that time and things are going to continue to grow worse and worse. I believe that many of you will experience the Tribulation Period within your lifetime. Trust me you don't want to be there. Please repent of your sins and place your faith in Christ before it is too late. Enter into Ark before the rains come.
Your Concerned Christian Friend,
Rev7774 Horsemen

I think they will be getting worse and worse for you.
So go somewhere and pray for the end of the world.
I've got some partying to do.

'Crazy' is a term of art; 'Insane' is a term of law. Remember that, and you will save yourself a lot of trouble.
Hunter S. Thompson
(June 27, 2014 at 7:48 am)IAmTheeWallrus Wrote:
(June 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Dearest Atheist Friends,
Jesus warned us of how things would be at the end of the age. We are now living in that time and things are going to continue to grow worse and worse. I believe that many of you will experience the Tribulation Period within your lifetime. Trust me you don't want to be there. Please repent of your sins and place your faith in Christ before it is too late. Enter into Ark before the rains come.
Your Concerned Christian Friend,
Rev7774 Horsemen

I think they will be getting worse and worse for you.
So go somewhere and pray for the end of the world.
I've got some partying to do.

Such a goof Rev is. He's trying to act all serious and concerned yet posts an animated image that shows otherwise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1359 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Aiders of the Lost Ark LinuxGal 1 758 November 26, 2022 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 7389 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Too Soon For a Lie YahwehIsTheWay 14 2727 December 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Too Late Fucktards. You Own Him Now. Minimalist 10 1571 October 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A question about the crew and passengers on the Ark. Gawdzilla Sama 68 7146 September 16, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Jesus. A Day Late and a Dollar Short Minimalist 20 4433 April 24, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Questions about noah ark king krish 210 48672 April 8, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5181 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3270 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker