Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The "Report" button, and how not to treat your staff.
RE: The "Report" button, and how not to treat your staff.
(March 28, 2015 at 2:18 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: I say, use the report button all you want. It gives mods something to do. And you will get the opportunity to see how they react to your actions. Consider it a science experiment, where one gets to see how far one has to go to get banned. It is like smoking in a theater:

I have a hypothesis related to this. :p
Please don't ban Drich, we already have so few theists that I suspect AF will not be the same without him Tongue

I agree on everything else. I've actually only used the report button two times at most because someone always does it before me.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

There has never been a time when I wanted to use the "Report" button that I did not use it. I have never had any moderator complain to me about my use of the button. I plan on never hesitating to use it whenever I want to use it. Just like the past.

I expect that if a moderator ever has a problem with my use of it, they will let me know.

I recommend looking at the "no smoking" video in my earlier post in this thread. I first saw it many years ago in a theater as their "no smoking" announcement before the film was shown. If I ran a theater, I would want to show that before every film.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(March 28, 2015 at 12:59 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: So, how about adding another report button in addition to the one that is already there.

The new one would be larger, and brightly colored, maybe even blinky.
How about this one?

Do Not Click Here!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
LOL !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I've reported almost all just 30/30 violations and had no problems Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 28, 2015 at 5:59 pm)robvalue Wrote: I've reported almost all just 30/30 violations and had no problems Smile

That' because those are, like, actual violations of the rules.

Go figure.
I reported the guy who started the thread about all atheists being liberals, but that was an obvious one .
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I did the admin/mod duties for a fairly busy website many years ago, and I guess that's why I don't fret over mod actions here. I know what it's like behind the scenes, especially with what I call forum lawyers (who seem to think that they're defending themselves in a US court instead of an internet forum). It's not a thankless job, but it can feel that way sometimes. Keep your collective chin up, people!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 28, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Tonus Wrote: I did the admin/mod duties for a fairly busy website many years ago, and I guess that's why I don't fret over mod actions here.  I know what it's like behind the scenes, especially with what I call forum lawyers (who seem to think that they're defending themselves in a US court instead of an internet forum).  ...

Yes, that is pretty funny.  One can be kicked off of a privately owned site, for any reason, or for no reason, if the owners wish to do so.  Typically, though, there is something in a list somewhere called "rules" that people ignore that gets them kicked off of privately owned sites.

It is a bit like someone being shocked if they were asked to leave someone's private home, when they become obnoxious and piss on the carpet (literally or metaphorically).  What, I can't do whatever I want in your place?

Some people are really, really, really stupid.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Staff Log - Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions Darwinian 3256 747756 1 hour ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Staff Moderator The Valkyrie 20 1283 December 30, 2023 at 8:25 am
Last Post: no one
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6196 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  New Guidelines for Staff Correspondence Shell B 3 1313 June 8, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: brewer
  Get to know your staff [UPDATED] Losty 534 42812 February 16, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Staff Interviews - Tiberius Tiberius 103 13817 November 19, 2016 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Staff Interviews - Losty (Plus our NEW YouTube channel!) Tiberius 72 15929 November 5, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Staff Interviews - Stimbo Tiberius 33 6322 October 13, 2016 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Staff Interviews - robvalue Tiberius 81 9997 October 6, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  New subforum "Questions for Staff". Jackalope 47 12570 September 16, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Cyberman