Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
(October 27, 2015 at 9:56 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Delicate Wrote: Are you sure you're not called SnakeOilWarrior because of a lifetime spent defending SnakeOil salesmen?

If I dismiss something, I always provide a reason for it. If you can't engage with my reasoning, you will absolutely fail to connect with my reasons in any way, and resort to calling me intellectually dishonest.

And what do you know, that's what you've done!

You're not shaping up to look like the sharpest tool in this shed, buddy. Start by engaging with what I've said, and what reasons I've laid out for them.

Use some sound reasoning and I'll try to engage. So far, you've show a dearth of it...

Where has my reasoning been unsound?
(October 27, 2015 at 9:49 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 8:06 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Nope...Dawkins

Yeah.... No. Dawkins doesn't believe this either. If you really believe he does, your understanding of evolution is as weak as GC's.

Wow.... So Dawkins doesn't believe his own fairly tales..... Yet people still follow them based on what is written in their holy book.
Now that... that's willful.

It's not that the strawman version of Dawkins is wrong, no! It's that "Dawkins doesn't believe his own fairy tales".

That goes beyond blind to willfully ignorant.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 27, 2015 at 10:08 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 9:56 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Use some sound reasoning and I'll try to engage. So far, you've show a dearth of it...

Where has my reasoning been unsound?

Fucking everywhere.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(October 27, 2015 at 10:25 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 9:49 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Yeah.... No. Dawkins doesn't believe this either. If you really believe he does, your understanding of evolution is as weak as GC's.

Wow.... So Dawkins doesn't believe his own fairly tales..... Yet people still follow them based on what is written in their holy book.

Why don't you educate yourself on what Dawkins actually believes before straw manning his position?

Or does he use too many big words for you?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(October 27, 2015 at 9:46 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(October 26, 2015 at 7:47 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: You mean that lack of: demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and valid and sound logic is not enough to disbelieve the god claim?

Please elaborate. 

And while you are at it, please elaborate on the rational basis you utilize to explain why you disbelieve in: alien abductions, dowsing, crystal healing, ancient aliens, Tarot card reading, etc, etc. Assuming you disbelieve in some or all of he above, of course.

Glad to elaborate.

You see, what you just did there? "You mean that lack of: demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and valid and sound logic is not enough to disbelieve the god claim?" That's called a baseless assertion. Or atheist dogma. The kind of thing atheists believe on blind faith.

You see what I said in my post? "Very few of the posts I've seen here so far contain a rational basis for rejecting religion."

That was me, predicting exactly the kind of atheist fairy tales you and your ilk like to spew.

Now go ahead, substantiate your claim with reasons and evidence. Show me you're smarter than the average bear. Steal my picnic basket, Yogi.

I made no baseless assertion.

My comment is in response to the assertion made by theists, that at least one god exists.

I do not have to assert anything to defend my position. The 1000's of years of lack of demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid and sound logic is all I need.

If you have anything that passes the above criteria for the god you claim exists, open a new thread and present it.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 27, 2015 at 8:03 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 7:58 pm)Cecelia Wrote: There are plenty of good reasons for rejecting religion.  Enough claims by the Bible are so ludicrous and impossible that one can easily reject them.  The stories are nothing more than fantasy, with absolutely nothing backing them up.  There's absolutely nothing irrational about that.  The stories in the bible are nothing more than stories.  There's no more reason to believe them, than there is to believe that the moon is made of cheese, that Harry Potter saved us from Lord Voldemort, or that there are tiny people running around in wheels powering our entire electrical system.

You forgot in your list, fish deciding to grow legs to come out of the sea, to eat and have sex.  Some people will believe anything!

Evolution is not like what you see in Pokemon games. For your own sake, please stop talking about a topic you have no understanding of before you embarrass yourself further.
(October 27, 2015 at 10:46 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 9:46 pm)Delicate Wrote: Glad to elaborate.

You see, what you just did there? "You mean that lack of: demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and valid and sound logic is not enough to disbelieve the god claim?" That's called a baseless assertion. Or atheist dogma. The kind of thing atheists believe on blind faith.

You see what I said in my post? "Very few of the posts I've seen here so far contain a rational basis for rejecting religion."

That was me, predicting exactly the kind of atheist fairy tales you and your ilk like to spew.

Now go ahead, substantiate your claim with reasons and evidence. Show me you're smarter than the average bear. Steal my picnic basket, Yogi.

I made no baseless assertion.

My comment is in response to the assertion made by theists, that at least one god exists.

I do not have to assert anything to defend my position. The 1000's of years of lack of demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid and sound logic is all I need.

If you have anything that passes the above criteria for the god you claim exists, open a new thread and present it.

Actually you do have to assert something to defend your position. You have to assert that all the arguments for God that have ever been provided fail to amount to either demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, or valid and sound logic.

Isn't that what you're saying?
(October 27, 2015 at 10:51 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:46 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I made no baseless assertion.

Actually you do have to assert something to defend your position. You have to assert that all the arguments for God that have ever been provided fail to amount to either demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, or valid and sound logic.

Isn't that what you're saying?

Yes, but they are not baseless assertions.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 27, 2015 at 10:50 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 8:03 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: You forgot in your list, fish deciding to grow legs to come out of the sea, to eat and have sex.  Some people will believe anything!

Evolution is not like what you see in Pokemon games. For your own sake, please stop talking about a topic you have no understanding of before you embarrass yourself further.

If you want to believe in magic fairy tales of fish walking out of the water, and what history has never recorded anyone seeing.... Don't let my reason stop you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7854 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 21412 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13108 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10995 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4976 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 110861 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19949 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15490 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50402 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11117 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar