Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
(October 30, 2015 at 11:35 am)Irrational Wrote: lol, I bet the Gospel writers did not like that Jesus failed at times. So they had to provide a reason for the failure.

Or these passages just could have been omitted. If it were just men making things up, as many of you believe, we wouldn't have such passages.
There is just such a trash heap for "gospel".....and you know that. The list of things omitted is longer than the list of things included......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 30, 2015 at 11:48 am)alpha male Wrote:
(October 30, 2015 at 11:35 am)Irrational Wrote: lol, I bet the Gospel writers did not like that Jesus failed at times. So they had to provide a reason for the failure.

Or these passages just could have been omitted. If it were just men making things up, as many of you believe, we wouldn't have such passages.

They would've probably omitted it if they knew they could have gotten away with doing so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbjpwyesk0

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 30, 2015 at 10:18 am)alpha male Wrote: Consider: 

I think, therefore I am
God predetermined all my thoughts
Therefore, I don't think
Therefore, I am not

Then you tell us how we can have free will under the direct control of an all powerful, all knowing irresistible, immutable god.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(October 18, 2015 at 9:14 pm)Delicate Wrote: Where does one go for actually informed atheistic critiques of religion?

You're asking the wrong questions, Delicate.  Perhaps, instead of looking for justifications for atheism, you need to look for justifications for religion.  See, that's very important here because I'm not so much a hard-line atheist as much as I simply haven't found any religion or deity that continues to sound believable after some basic questioning.

So, if you'd like to ask some specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.  And if you'd like to explain your beliefs, I'd be happy to ask some questions about them.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(October 30, 2015 at 11:41 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Way to miss the point entirely. Or maybe you didn't; maybe you think humans are incapable of holding God morally accountable for the design of this universe/world.
Logically the omniscient being is in a better position to judge than we are.
Quote:But using your example, if the human told the robot it had to be destroyed because it had merely followed its programming, the self-aware robot would be right in thinking the human was an asshole.
You left the scenario. Self-aware implies that it has thoughts of its own, but in the scenario it only does as programmed.

Quote:We don't tell the animals "obey me or else". We simply eat them or keep them off of our crops/out of our homes.
So god does more than us, as he gives us warnings via conscience and texts.
Quote:I don't kill my dog when he doesn't obey me, if he's just doing dog stuff; I might be upset that he pooped on my floor despite the fact that I told him not to, but if I lock him in the house so that he really has no choice in the matter, then the blame is on me, not him.
Your dog? You're admitting to being a slave owner. What makes the dog yours?

Quote:If we consider Genesis a literal story, then placing the untouchable Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil right in the middle of the garden (the only place they can go) where they constantly have to be tempted by it, and waiting for them to be "tricked" (or not) into eating from it so you can punish them for their disobedience is insane and capricious. I might as well shoot my dog because I left a box of doggie treats out and he ate them.
They didn't need to be constantly tempted. Note that they did wrong, but were then said to have knowledge of both good and evil. So, if they had rejected the serpent, they would have likewise known both good and evil, but through righteousness rather than sin.
(October 30, 2015 at 11:49 am)Rhythm Wrote: There is just such a trash heap for "gospel".....and you know that.  The list of things omitted is longer than the list of things included......

Yes, writing and copying were time consuming and expensive, so more was omitted than included. John says as much. So, knowing that they omitted so much...why would they include problematic passages if they were just inventing a religion? They wouldn't.
(October 30, 2015 at 11:58 am)Irrational Wrote:
(October 30, 2015 at 11:48 am)alpha male Wrote: Or these passages just could have been omitted. If it were just men making things up, as many of you believe, we wouldn't have such passages.

They would've probably omitted it if they knew they could have gotten away with doing so.

What was stopping them from getting away with it?
(October 30, 2015 at 12:21 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(October 30, 2015 at 11:58 am)Irrational Wrote: They would've probably omitted it if they knew they could have gotten away with doing so.

What was stopping them from getting away with it?

Rumors of his failure were already abound by the time of writing?

You know that's not the only inconvenience they had to deal with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7855 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 21413 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13108 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10995 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4976 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 110867 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19950 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15490 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50402 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11117 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar