Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would evidence of a God even look like?
RE: What would evidence of a God even look like?
(August 24, 2016 at 11:03 am)Rhythm Wrote: You're forgetting the mysterious ways, free wills, and constant stream of miracles (like appearing on toast, finding wallets and keys, or filling the coffers of churches -just- when the pastors were almost ready to declare bankruptcy).

Wink

You fuckin' wit me?  Yeah. . . you fuckin' wit me. Tongue
(August 21, 2016 at 6:39 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: How about God writes a book explaining history, the creation of the world, and informs us what the future will hold.

After that He  comes to live with us for 3 decades, models the perfect life and fulfills the prophecies stated in His book.

Sounds slightly more compelling than a giant rock.

A book that explains history but leaves out (and seems utterly ignorant of) the vast majority of people around the world? How parochial of you, God! Don't even get me started on the alleged Exodus.

An explanation of creation that actually explains nothing and manages to get certain things glaringly, laughably wrong? Thanks for the clear insight, God!

Fortune telling? Now that's fun! But then again, figuring out that a couple of relative backwater shitholes like Israel and Judah would come under the thumb of the Assyrians or the Babylonians doesn't strike me as notably prescient. Oh, you mean the Messiah? Talk to the Jews about that one.

As for Jesus, is it really so hard to comprehend the notion of a narrative being retrofitted to "fulfill" some set of alleged prophesies, or are you normally this credulous? Good grief! In any case, as I said, take it up with the Jews. I mean, it was their holy book. Hell, they might actually know which 'prophecies' concerned the Messiah and which didn't. They might even know what the passages meant. The largely Gentile church that co-opted Hebrew scripture for its own purposes was hardly a model of integrity when it came to approaching such things.
(August 21, 2016 at 6:39 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: How about God writes a book explaining history, the creation of the world, and informs us what the future will hold.

I didn't know we had that?

All I see is a book that people CLAIM is what you say it is.

The fact is, that the Bible is not evidence for the claim, it is the claim.

Quote:After that He  comes to live with us for 3 decades, models the perfect life and fulfills the prophecies stated in His book.

Or so the believers claim.

And don't get me started on the supposed 'prophecies'. There are so many reasons why they don't hold up as credible.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(August 14, 2016 at 9:29 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 14, 2016 at 5:14 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: My argument goes like this. If there's a God that created the Universe(the Universe being everything in existence) then this God is either a part of the Universe or the Universe itself. It can't be merely a part of it, since it created it, so it must be the Universe itself. But then, there's no use calling it God. You might as well do away with the shady language and call it what it is. Nature, Universe, Cosmos. Whatever your secular preference.

Thoughts?

The dominating aspect of universal existence is space itself, occupied by and extremely small amount of mass found in a regular basic pattern: The Atom.  Even that is mostly space.

"God" could be an extant infinite substance (absolute matter) that moved to make the space of the universe. Which in equal/opposite reaction flung an extremely small amount of itself into motion and form within the universe.

The consciousness of God would be the energetic movement that an extant infinite supports as a vibrational body with no border.

"God in the Highest" remains outside relative space time.

Sounds to me that all this verbiage is just a reductionism into Panpsychism:

Quote:Strawson has argued that what he calls realistic physicalism entails panpsychism. He writes that "as a real physicalist, then, I hold that the mental/experiential is physical." He quotes the physicist Arthur Eddington in support of his position as follows: "If we must embed our schedule of indicator readings in some kind of background, at least let us accept the only hint we have received as to the significance of the background – namely that it has a nature capable of manifesting itself as a mental activity." The editor of the Journal of Consciousness Studies, Anthony Freeman, notes that panpsychism is regarded by many as either "plain crazy, or else a direct route back to animism and superstition." Panpsychism, however, has a long tradition in western thought.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Strawson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3430 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 9023 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2371 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3096 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1566 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4540 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7389 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2715 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 973 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1012 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm