Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 1:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL 2016 Pick'em League!
RE: NFL 2016 Pick'em League!
(January 3, 2017 at 12:32 pm)Luckie Wrote:
(January 3, 2017 at 10:52 am)Tiberius Wrote: OK, so on to the Playoff Pick'Em League, which is completely separate from the regular season, so if you failed to win a top spot in the regular season, you can still clinch victory in the playoffs!

Here's how it works. You must predict the winners of every playoff game (including the Super Bowl) before the playoffs starts. You will get 1 point for a wild card round win (because you know who will be playing), 3 points for a divisional round win, 5 points for a conference championship win, and 7 points for a Super Bowl win.

Here are the picks I need from you by Friday January 6th:

Wild Card Round:

Raiders (12 - 4) @ Texans (9 - 7)         TEXANS (me going for the LUCKY AWARD)
Lions (9 - 7) @ Seahawks (10 - 5 - 1)   *laughs SEAHAWKS 
Dolphins (10 - 6) @ Steelers (11 - 5)    STEELERS 
Giants (11 - 5) @ Packers (10 - 6)    PACKERS

Divisional Round:

(Seahawks OR Packers OR Giants) @ Falcons (11 - 5)  PACKERS
(Texans OR Raiders OR Dolphins) @ Patriots (14 - 2)  PATRIOTS
(Steelers OR Texans OR Raiders) @ Chiefs (12 - 4)   CHIEFS
(Packers OR Giants OR Lions) @ Cowboys (13 - 3)    COWBOYS

Conference Championships:  (can i pick these later or must be now?)

Cowboys OR Falcons OR Seahawks OR Packers OR Giants OR Lions.   COWBOYS
Patriots OR Chiefs OR Steelers OR Texans OR Raiders OR Dolphins.   PATRIOTS

Super Bowl

Patriots OR Cowboys OR Chiefs OR Falcons OR Steelers OR Seahawks OR Texans OR Packers OR Raiders OR Giants OR Dolphins or Lions

PATRIOTS FOR THE WIN

I think you're wrong on one of your divisional picks at least. Per the NFL site, the Falcons get to play the highest seeded Wildcard winner in the division, which per your wildcard picks would be the *laughs* Seahawks.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Yup, I spotted that and fixed it already.

Wisdom of the Crowd picks are:

Wild Card Round: Raiders, Seahawks, Steelers, Packers

Divisional Round: Falcons, Patriots, Chiefs, Cowboys

Conference Championships: Cowboys, Patriots

Super Bowl 51: Patriots
So, wisdom of the crowd picks is chalk. Makes sense.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I am still holding out hope for the Browns.
[Image: photo_2_105795.jpg]

Stairway to Seven baby!!!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Side issue, certainly pedantic on my part, but our species narcissism bleeds into almost every aspect of life. I find the term "World Champions" absurd especially with the NFL which does not have any teams in other countries. Pro soccer is international so to me would better apply in that context.

Shakespeare had no clue of scientific reality when he wrote "flurry of activity signifying nothing". Astute observation. Scientist like Sagan pretty much said the same thing with Pale Blue Dot.

How does this relate to sports? You win some, you lose some, and there is changing winners every year and repeating the top win is rare, and even dynasties in sports usually die over a decade or two. And just like the dinosaurs and just like the ancient Roman blood sports, even the NFL won't last 5,000 or 10,000 years.

I still love the game, don't get me wrong, but the term "World Champions" has annoyed me for a long time. No I am not delusional, it isn't going to change. "Superbowl" isn't as bad to me, but depending on the game itself for that particular game, I don't see a blowout as "Super". It might be for the fans of the team that win, but for those who watch whom don't have a team in it, usually I'd bet most like a close game. I for once would love to see a Superbowl go to overtime.

So what was this pointless rant all about? Nothing, lets have fun, trash talk, bitch and cheer and have a beer.
Are there any other countries that play American Football at a professional level that's even comparable to the NFL? Unless there are I'm fine with the "world champions" label.

Plus I believe the plan is to get some permanent teams in the UK.
(January 7, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Are there any other countries that play American Football at a professional level that's even comparable to the NFL? Unless there are I'm fine with the "world champions" label.

Plus I believe the plan is to get some permanent teams in the UK.

I wanted to see NFL Europe succeed but I think 9/11 might have had a lot to do with why it crapped out.

But yea, does seem long term they are trying to go global, they have pre season and regular season games now in the U.K. and Mexico and even Japan. I really like the ones when they have them in Japan. Japan is one of my favorite countries. If they ever put a team in say Tokyo my loyalties might switch.
So who's going to be league MVP this year?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 7, 2017 at 3:49 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: So who's going to be league MVP this year?

Probably Matt Ryan. Or Zeke.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Unofficial NFL Thread Brian37 158 9182 March 11, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Any Premier League Hooligans Here? Nanny 3 544 August 10, 2023 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  How could I miss this rule for 55 years in the NFL? Brian37 14 1731 December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  CFL VS NFL..... Brian37 28 3066 August 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Anyone watching the NFL draft? Brian37 11 1211 May 2, 2021 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  NFL Pro Bowl Brian37 0 280 January 31, 2021 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  NFL and Covid....... Cam Newton..... Brian37 2 453 October 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NFL triva..... Brian37 2 355 September 29, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  NFL's Tom Dempsey latest victim of virus. Brian37 3 790 April 5, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Athene
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1055 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4