Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 4:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ask a Bible college Student
RE: Ask a Bible college Student
(November 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Emzap Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 4:28 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If God asked you to kill your first born son, would you do it?

That is a good question. Yes, I would. Perhaps you have heard of Abraham, who God asked to kill his first and only son, Isaac. Abraham obeyed, and was about to kill him when God intervened and provided a ram as a sacrifice in place, seeing that Abraham was faithful to obey. This isn't to say that I would expect God to do the same for me, and I would hope and pray that God wouldn't ask me to do such a difficult and seemingly horrific thing, but if God clearly asked me to, who am I to disobey God?

What a refreshing response! None of that 'God would never ask me to that' cop-outtery from you, is there? No, you're willing to truly commit and murder a child for no particular reason.

I respect that.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Welcome and thanks for being open to answering questions.

Do you believe the OT stories as historically accurate or merely didactic fiction?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Quote: Human sin is a hideous thing.

Quote:1Sa 6:19

And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter.

Human sin seems like small potatoes compared to your monstrous god.
(November 2, 2016 at 5:06 pm)Emzap Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 4:15 pm)Alex K Wrote: Interesting - but when you say you strongly believe in the bible, do you mean all of it? Because it's full of gruesome and brutal things, and I don't see how that squares with the ideals of Christians today.
I do mean all of it. Yes, the Old Testament in particular is full, FULL of gruesome and brutal things. Human sin is a hideous thing. Please read the entire Bible in context with all of Scripture before judging the God who acted and continues to act out of justice and love then just as he does today.

Many of us have already...
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(November 2, 2016 at 4:28 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If God asked you to kill your first born son, would you do it?

That is a good question. Yes, I would. Perhaps you have heard of Abraham, who God asked to kill his first and only son, Isaac. Abraham obeyed, and was about to kill him when God intervened and provided a ram as a sacrifice in place, seeing that Abraham was faithful to obey. This isn't to say that I would expect God to do the same for me, and I would hope and pray that God wouldn't ask me to do such a difficult and seemingly horrific thing, but if God clearly asked me to, who am I to disobey God?

Disturbing.  You do realize that you like everyone else is subject to mental illness, don't you?  How could you rule out that possibility and why be so eager to earn kudos from god that you would make that decision for your kid.  That's really disturbing.  Please find someone who shares your faith but disagrees on this point and try to see it their way.
(November 2, 2016 at 5:26 pm)Emzap Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: Do believe it's sinful to mix meat and dairy in one meal, or that women should be stoned to death for having short hair? What are your views on slavery, as it relates to the OT? Oh, and would you be upset if I told you I was wearing Lycra and cotton at the same time?

Old Testament laws. Some Jews still strictly follow all of these. I was working in a camp kitchen when a Jewish group was there and they could not eat meat and dairy in one meal. It was very interesting. 

But off of that bunny trail, no, I do not believe its sinful to mix meat and dairy. I do not think it is sinful that women have short hair. I do not condemn wearing lycra and cotton at the same time. I see slavery as wrong, though culturally, it may have once been acceptable granted masters treat their slaves rightly. 

The Old Testament law was irradiated when Jesus came. There are some moral implications that are still important to follow- those are reiterated in the New Testament. The Old Testament's purpose in the life of the Christian is to give the history of our faith system. It also shows how prophecy was fulfilled, which reaffirms our beliefs.

Treating their slaves "rightly"? It's "right" to beat your slave so long as he doesn't die after several days? Or how about the more obvious question here: when is it EVER right to own another human being as property?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(November 2, 2016 at 5:19 pm)Bella Morte Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Emzap Wrote: That is a good question. Yes, I would. Perhaps you have heard of Abraham, who God asked to kill his first and only son, Isaac. Abraham obeyed, and was about to kill him when God intervened and provided a ram as a sacrifice in place, seeing that Abraham was faithful to obey. This isn't to say that I would expect God to do the same for me, and I would hope and pray that God wouldn't ask me to do such a difficult and seemingly horrific thing, but if God clearly asked me to, who am I to disobey God?

You're insane.

Well lets just say he isn't giving enough credence to the possibility that he might some day suffer mental illness.  Why would he view the likelihood that an order to kill your kid wouldn't originate in your own malfunctioning mind?  Let's just say he is a danger to himself and others and should under no circumstances be entrusted with the well being of small children.

In my opinion what should happen to you is that a very large and powerful man should grasp you by both shoulders and shake you violently until you recant this statement. If you do not recant then either your children and \ or your ability to have chi!ldren should be removed. Pay close attention! The proper response to any god who asks you to kill your child is "Fuck off!"
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(November 2, 2016 at 5:26 pm)Emzap Wrote: The Old Testament law was irradiated when Jesus came.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you mean when Jesus arrived and nothing sexual in nature. Still I didn't know that kind of technology (my bold) was available back then. I've learned something new.
(November 2, 2016 at 9:22 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Emzap Wrote: That is a good question. Yes, I would. Perhaps you have heard of Abraham, who God asked to kill his first and only son, Isaac. Abraham obeyed, and was about to kill him when God intervened and provided a ram as a sacrifice in place, seeing that Abraham was faithful to obey. This isn't to say that I would expect God to do the same for me, and I would hope and pray that God wouldn't ask me to do such a difficult and seemingly horrific thing, but if God clearly asked me to, who am I to disobey God?

Disturbing.  You do realize that you like everyone else is subject to mental illness, don't you?  How could you rule out that possibility and why be so eager to earn kudos from god that you would make that decision for your kid.  That's really disturbing.  Please find someone who shares your faith but disagrees on this point and try to see it their way.

https://youtu.be/ZyX4LPUeDoE?list=PLLttf...Ngx9Df29Vp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Ask a public-health student 2.0 Aractus 1 766 May 9, 2016 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Aractus
Question Ask a public-health/nutrition student Aractus 56 11449 March 19, 2016 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Ask a College Student BrokenQuill92 27 5047 August 5, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92