Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just now on twitter...... Hitting the Roof OP/ED
Just now on twitter...... Hitting the Roof OP/ED
Ok, let me make this perfectly clear. I fucking hate Dillon Roof and no, I don't forgive him. 

Having said that, there still is a HUGE difference between my personal opinion of that scum, and how western society has been set up as far as government preventing mob rule. So some dipshit on twitter wants to throw out courts and publicly execute him. Sounds nice on the surface for many.

But here is the problem with that bullshit Nacy Grace presumption of guilt, innocent people do get accused. Most accused are NOT famous, many don't commit crimes that are obvious or nationally known like Roof. IT isn't about protecting him, the individual. It is about protecting a process so that when we do convict, we convict the RIGHT PERSON and not someone innocent.

I am all for blasphemy and dishing it out verbally to asshole bigots. But no matter what someone is accused of, we should never aspire to be a mob rule society. That mindset long term poisons the objectivity of not only law enforcement, but lawyers and judges, and even potential juries. 

I have made posts like this prior, but it bears repeating. I have been emotionally traumatized by being falsely accused. I was on a field day in middle school, a private school, and that was supposed to be an entire play day. Our field sat uphill overlooking a sidewalk and street, it had railing to prevent kids from falling off the hill. I was standing next to it watching a a car pass, it's right passenger tire kicked up a rock and hit the door.  The driver must have, from his approach, saw me and others passing, and made the false assumption that someone had thrown the rock. He pulled in to the parking lot, and told the principle. Like a dumbass I went up to him and said "nobody threw that rock".

He took the entire class in and made us sit there until someone (ME) confessed, which I did not. The day ended with everyone staying in the lunchroom until the buses took us home. I had the entire population of students angry at me and hating me on top of the teachers assuming my guilt.

Now, imagine if you are falsely accused of a major felony or violent crime. To assume that never happens is a mistake. It does, and far more than many may realize. Some people do not understand that far more money goes into prosecuting a case than defending a case. That imbalance hurts those whom dont have the resources. 

And to suggest the harm of Roof without due process is to me, to become the very thing we in the west say we hate about despots and theocracies. Nobody has to like what he is accused of. The nature of the charge isn't your right to get revenge. On top of the fact that the death penalty is NOT a deterrent, it also costs tax payers far more money to prosecute than life in prison. 

It isn't about forgiving or not forgiving We have courts and juries for a reason, and that is so we dont end up a mob rule society.
RE: Just now on twitter...... Hitting the Roof OP/ED
But also, as the last election showed, we also have a very large mob.
(November 25, 2016 at 12:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But also, as the last election showed, we also have a very large mob.

It certainly is scary the tone he has set. But this DOES NOT have to be the end nor do I think we need to become Snack Patriots either. I think if everyone raises their voices everywhere and every day, we can manage this and reverse it. Even that asshole said himself "I should have been nicer". 

I think for now the best medicine is sunlight and blasphemy, not revenge. I'd recommend everyone spend time on social media with him and his family making him so paranoid he will fuck himself up.
(November 25, 2016 at 12:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I have made posts like this prior, but it bears repeating. I have been emotionally traumatized by being falsely accused. I was on a field day in middle school, a private school, and that was supposed to be an entire play day. Our field sat uphill overlooking a sidewalk and street, it had railing to prevent kids from falling off the hill. I was standing next to it watching a a car pass, it's right passenger tire kicked up a rock and hit the door.  The driver must have, from his approach, saw me and others passing, and made the false assumption that someone had thrown the rock. He pulled in to the parking lot, and told the principle. Like a dumbass I went up to him and said "nobody threw that rock".

He took the entire class in and made us sit there until someone (ME) confessed, which I did not. The day ended with everyone staying in the lunchroom until the buses took us home. I had the entire population of students angry at me and hating me on top of the teachers assuming my guilt.

Now, imagine if you are falsely accused of a major felony or violent crime. To assume that never happens is a mistake. It does, and far more than many may realize. Some people do not understand that far more money goes into prosecuting a case than defending a case. That imbalance hurts those whom dont have the resources. 

And to suggest the harm of Roof without due process is to me, to become the very thing we in the west say we hate about despots and theocracies. Nobody has to like what he is accused of. The nature of the charge isn't your right to get revenge. On top of the fact that the death penalty is NOT a deterrent, it also costs tax payers far more money to prosecute than life in prison. 

It isn't about forgiving or not forgiving We have courts and juries for a reason, and that is so we dont end up a mob rule society.

No offense, but did that actually "emotionally traumatize" you? Anyway, I don't see the point in bringing it up. I'm sure everybody's been accused of something they didn't do, especially as children, since nobody ever believes a kid's side of the story. But I don't think it is at all that similar to being falsely accused of a serious felony or felonies. On top of all that, I'm sure very few (if any) would disagree with the importance of a legal system that doesn't assume guilt.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(November 25, 2016 at 1:57 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(November 25, 2016 at 12:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I have made posts like this prior, but it bears repeating. I have been emotionally traumatized by being falsely accused. I was on a field day in middle school, a private school, and that was supposed to be an entire play day. Our field sat uphill overlooking a sidewalk and street, it had railing to prevent kids from falling off the hill. I was standing next to it watching a a car pass, it's right passenger tire kicked up a rock and hit the door.  The driver must have, from his approach, saw me and others passing, and made the false assumption that someone had thrown the rock. He pulled in to the parking lot, and told the principle. Like a dumbass I went up to him and said "nobody threw that rock".

No offense, but did that actually "emotionally traumatize" you? Anyway, I don't see the point in bringing it up. I'm sure everybody's been accused of something they didn't do, especially as children, since nobody ever believes a kid's side of the story. But I don't think it is at all that similar to being falsely accused of a serious felony or felonies. On top of all that, I'm sure very few (if any) would disagree with the importance of a legal system that doesn't assume guilt.

Scars don't have to be physical nor a product of war or physical abuse. That is complete nonsense to make that assumption. That event was also part of my childhood of being bullied and having nothing but bullies on my street. The point of bringing it up is to get people to think about someone who is REALLY being accused of something that could affect their freedom and safety. If that non criminal event can cause me trauma imagine someone getting falsely accused of a real crime in a real court. Imagine someone in a country without courts where mob rule is the social norm.

YES that event DID traumatize me.

And I would not automatically assume because our courts are still in tact that there is no abuse ever. I think everyone SHOULD worry tremendously about the tone Trump has set in politics. Mob by court is what happened to blacks and mob by fear is what got innocent Japanese put in prison camps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WTF Twitter files....... Brian37 0 150 October 8, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37