Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So beautiful. And so he loves beauty too.
RE: So beautiful. And so he loves beauty too.
(December 27, 2016 at 12:27 am)Tonus Wrote:
(December 26, 2016 at 8:58 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote: You trust historical sources that much?

Historical sources?  You mean information gleaned from ancient writings?  I suppose it's fair to say that we shouldn't place too much trust in them, yes.

No; it's the logic that the Quran presents.
[Image: dt_131216_cherry_picking_fruit_250x188.jpg]
I like you Atlas, I think you're a nice guy.

I wish you'd join in discussions on other non-religious subjects. You're kind of banging your head against a brick wall with this stuff, and it's a shame.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Rob, I also find that with others too like MK.
They're nice enough people but culturally, they are so absorbed in religion that there's not much to chit chat about...???

Are their countries technically 1st world countries? Maybe they have much more pressing issues...

(My current pressing issue right now is which gaming monitor to buy? G-Sync or Freesync (heaps cheaper) IPS (5ms) or TN screen (1ms but less colour))
And don't even start me on size and resolution! My brain has turned to mush! No wonder people turn to religion! lol!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Atlas, before the Europeans (and Arabs) war in Africa was very ritualistic. Casualties were few and people mainly exchanged insults and they did not destroy the houses of other tribes. The main prizes were cattle and small bits of land (for the cattle to graze on). You could even say the Africans were quite peaceful compared to European standards.

The far richer foreigners, with all of their advanced technology meant more war was inevitable. The Europeans gave better crops, which increased the population of Africa and they traded for cattle, which meant cattle were even more valuable. Therefore, they fought each other even more. They also wanted ivory and hunting elephants with spears is no easy task, so they had to "modernize" their combat strategies.

Then the foreigners with their religions which say they have a monopoly on truth is a very alien concept to Africans. African religions, such as Voodoo, tend to borrow concepts from various places. Their religions are not strict like yours The Africans happily lived with each other. They were not savages; the Arabs and Europeans turned the people into savages with their alien ideas.

Good video (part one of four):

Also:

(December 27, 2016 at 2:58 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: No; it's the logic that the Quran presents.

That would be the logic that cannot bring together the disparate groups that follow the same book, right? That instead drives such wedges between them that it leads to bloodletting?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Honestly Atlas, your intentions, although in vain, I understand. If you want to attempt to prove your deity based on the fact that many different ancient groups shared religious concepts, I will refute you by talking about the psychological "God Complex." It's not the proper term, but it is an actual scientific phenomena which argues that humans have an instinctual desire to place faith in things they don't understand or comprehend. In the times of major Mesopotamian, Greek, and Native-American civilizations, mankind didn't know about things such as Gravity, Physics, Cosmic Radiation, or Meteorology. This would have meant in, for example, the case of a flood, early man may have thought it was the work of a Higher Power we cannot see. I believe this theory is proven by The Epic of Gilgamesh. The use of Gods in this poem enforces that religion has always been used as a way to explain unusual events which can now be explained via science. These are just my opinions though.
Speaking of that: The Epic of Gilgamesh references The Great Flood, a religious cliche that translated to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
Paul was a misogynist: A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 1st Timothy 2:11-13

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Athists & Infidels - Grab Allah's offer before its too late yragnitup 39 5357 March 27, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Saudi cleric says women too stupid to drive zebo-the-fat 38 6989 September 30, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Looks As If Turkey Is Going Down The Shitter, Too Minimalist 49 6672 June 19, 2016 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  What the hell happened too these people. dyresand 18 5153 March 18, 2015 at 3:41 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Everybody loves Islam -- German edition mralstoner 44 8913 March 16, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: GermanAtheist
  Islam is too aggressive.. lifesagift 10 2283 December 17, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jasmine Loves Children, Magic & Freedom (This Prompts Muslim OutRage) EgoRaptor 60 12124 December 17, 2013 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Flying Imams Have Rights, too! Emma_Hates_Islam 3 2466 December 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God's (Allah) house is too small, people in a huge house. Koldaramor 25 12467 July 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye