Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dylann Roof sentenced to death
RE: Dylann Roof sentenced to death
(January 11, 2017 at 9:35 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(January 10, 2017 at 11:36 pm)Macoleco Wrote: If the church will pay for the food and everything he will need for the rest of his life I see no problem either.

Yes, since they were so quick to forgive him.  How presumptuous can you get, forgiving somebody for what they did to somebody else.

Put him in prison so the skin heads and klansmen can give him thumbs up while he eats up my tax dollars? Oh, hell to the no!

forgive him no not perform a blood sacrifice just so we can feel righteous or so you can save some money yes
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I have no issues with the death penalty. This guy is a lovely choice, imo.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(January 10, 2017 at 11:25 pm)chimp3 Wrote: I was hoping he would fester in prison for 60 years or more.

As it is, he will molder for 20-30 years before the state murder him.   I am willing to forgive the state for murdering him in the end if the anticipation and the futile railing against inexorability of the state's delightful crime will torture him psychologically during those 20-30 years.

(January 11, 2017 at 4:24 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(January 11, 2017 at 4:13 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: Let's see, I'm for the death penalty so yes. I think I have already made it very clear that when it comes to cold blooded murder I don't think anything short of death is acceptable. For anything less than murder no. I'm not saying rape those that rape or torture someone that tortures animals. This is only about intentional murder.

Why should murderers be killed themselves?  What purpose does it serve other than making an emotional, vengeful point?  I wouldn't want to live in a system that bases it's law on emotion and revenge.  

That's not even considering the facts that the death penalty does not work as a deterrent, has the possibility of executing innocent people, is a horrible violation of human rights, is slow, inefficient, and expensive, and that we are the only western developed nation to still use it.

To delight the part of me I am not proud of, but whose delight is nonetheless at times strangely compelling.
I'm of the opinion that a quick death would be infinitely more compassionate then making him suffer a lifetime in prison.
Are you guys sure you're not the ones after payback?
You actually enjoy knowing he's gonna suffer doing life! You guys are scaring me now....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I would personally rather be done in on the spot than face life in jail.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 12, 2017 at 2:40 am)ignoramus Wrote: I'm of the opinion that a quick death would be infinitely more compassionate then making him suffer a lifetime in prison.
Are you guys sure you're not the ones after payback?
You actually enjoy knowing he's gonna suffer doing life!   You guys are scaring me now....

I don’t think it’s going to be like that. When they arrested him last year, he told the cops he was hungry and they took his ass to Burger King! He’s a hero to a lot of crazy folks. As for suffering, I don’t care if he suffers. I just want him off this planet.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(January 12, 2017 at 8:10 am)robvalue Wrote: I would personally rather be done in on the spot than face life in jail.

Depends on the jail though. An American jail, certainly. They're in staunch competition with 3rd world countries, which is rather troublesome because the majority of inmates gets released at some point.

Generally speaking, jail isn't paradise anywhere and it shouldn't be. But in most western countries it's not worse than death.

(January 12, 2017 at 9:13 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: When they arrested him last year, he told the cops he was hungry and they took his ass to Burger King!

Only goes to show that you don't know about interrogation techniques. A move to gain his trust, nothing more. They're pulling that trick quite often. Lee Boyd Malvo also got his veggie burger to make him talk.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Ah, the old death penalty argument. Tibs and I disagree on it, but only by a fraction.

My take: I'm 100% for the death penalty in a very small number of cases. Two things need to happen for me to think it's all right. One-there must be absolutely no doubt of the person's guilt. It has to exceed what would usually result in a conviction. Multiple (many) witnesses and a confession are good enough if the witnesses are reliable and the convicted isn't crazy (Roof is evil, not crazy). I prefer video or photo evidence for a death sentence. Two-The crime has to be extraordinarily heinous (serial killings, mass shootings, etc.) and the killer without remorse.

The stated purpose of imprisonment is for punishment and rehabilitation. Some people cannot be rehabilitated or just frankly do not deserve the chance. Roof is one of these people. There is no doubt he committed this crime and he would do it again if released. There's no point in keeping him alive. I'd have to be completely opposed to murder for me to care if the state sanctions "murder" such as this. I'm not completely opposed to "murder" in very special circumstances. Therefore, I do not care at all if this kid dies. He's earned it.
(January 12, 2017 at 10:47 am)Shell B Wrote: (Roof is evil, not crazy)

No offense, but it always amazes me that non religious persons resort to the old religious terminology for an easy answer to a complicated question. Yes, he did something evil, but he also seems to have a history of being mentally deranged. To what extent is for experts to decide. Also he arrived at doing what he did. That didn't come out of the blue and he certainly didn't consider it to be an evil act. That in itself should cry for closer analysis and a good hard look. Who or what made him go over that edge? Answering these questions may prevent the next Dylann Roof.

I'm all for removing people like that from society. The state is obliged to do that. In what way is a different question entirely.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 12, 2017 at 10:15 am)abaris Wrote: [quote='robvalue' pid='1485719' dateline='1484223024']
I would personally rather be done in on the spot than face life in jail.

Depends on the jail though. An American jail, certainly. They're in staunch competition with 3rd world countries, which is rather troublesome because the majority of inmates gets released at some point.

Generally speaking, jail isn't paradise anywhere and it shouldn't be. But in most western countries it's not worse than death.

(January 12, 2017 at 9:13 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: When they arrested him last year, he told the cops he was hungry and they took his ass to Burger King!

Only goes to show that you don't know about interrogation techniques. A move to gain his trust, nothing more. They're pulling that trick quite often. Lee Boyd Malvo also got his veggie burger to make him talk.
You make a valid point. Though I wish they would use interrogation tactic on black men instead of just shooting them. Man ran a red light. He's dangerous. Shoot him. Man killed nine people. Let's see if we can reason with him. Get him to talk.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NXIVM Cult leader due to be sentenced tomoz...predictions? Duty 13 630 October 27, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Suge Knight Sentenced to 28 Years in Prison Fake Messiah 3 627 October 9, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Dutchman sentenced to month in jail for insulting king account_inactive 12 1696 July 15, 2016 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  S.C. Can't Execure Dylan Roof Because of Drug Shortage Rhondazvous 17 3259 October 5, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Rape victim sentenced to death in Iran. Brian37 68 12512 October 26, 2014 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Iranian sentenced to death for blasphemy. Brian37 8 1949 September 19, 2014 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Brian37