Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tooth Fairy Bullshit
RE: Tooth Fairy Bullshit
Wow no. I really don't see it as a reasonable thing to be offended by. I admit that they have every right to be offended, but their offense is on their end and not mine. Until they convince me that it is actually offensive, I am not going to lie or withhold my thoughts on this just to make them feel better.

Beliefs change. They are not a part of you. They are a product of the world around you. Instead of just getting flustered, it's much more productive to use reasoning to tell me why God and the Tooth Fairy shouldn't be compared. So far I'm not convinced by any of the arguments, so my mind has not been changed. I'm not sorry we don't agree.

Also, I'm not running down the street shoving this in anyone's face. It's kept in tidy little boxes on a forum. If it's valid to the discussion, I will be honest about my thoughts. I will be absolutely fine if you try to persuade me away from those thoughts, but calling me a douchebag is the last way that you're going to do that. If you can't handle that, don't make the thread.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(January 20, 2017 at 5:54 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(January 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm)Aroura Wrote: Look, if you just want to compare god to something that cannot be proven to exist, you can use Russel's Teapot as a great example.

Yes, that would be far less contemptuous. It should be noted that Russell was not so arrogant as to say there is no evidence. I believe he was careful enough to say there was insufficient evidence - a very big difference.

(January 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm)Aroura Wrote: A lot of great minds have wasted effort trying to rationalize this one extraordinary claim as an exception when it meets no criteria to BE an exception, but instead should be held to the same standard.

Among all the accusations and recriminations did you happen to notice my explanation of why that the comparison is a category error. No one seems to have addressed it other than say "no it's not."

Also no I didn't, and to be honest, I don't feel like wading through the dog pile that is this thread to find it. If you post it again, or a link, I'd actually be interested in reading it.

(January 20, 2017 at 10:12 pm)Jesster Wrote: Wow no. I really don't see it as a reasonable thing to be offended by. I admit that they have every right to be offended, but their offense is on their end and not mine. Until they convince me that it is actually offensive, I am not going to lie or withhold my thoughts on this just to make them feel better.

Beliefs change. They are not a part of you. They are a product of the world around you. Instead of just getting flustered, it's much more productive to use reasoning to tell me why God and the Tooth Fairy shouldn't be compared. So far I'm not convinced by any of the arguments, so my mind has not been changed. I'm not sorry we don't agree.

Also, I'm not running down the street shoving this in anyone's face. It's kept in tidy little boxes on a forum. If it's valid to the discussion, I will be honest about my thoughts. I will be absolutely fine if you try to persuade me away from those thoughts, but calling me a douchebag is the last way that you're going to do that. If you can't handle that, don't make the thread.

I completely agree, as I said in my post, that since we are on an atheist forum, this is the place to say it. I also don't think anyone saying it is a douchbag at all. I just could also see why they felt insulted.
I do think making people uncomfortable in their belief is one way to change them, and this insult seems pretty minor.

Personally though, after hearing how insulting it seems from their side, I would stick by the validity of the argument itself, but realize it wasn't going to change a mind, most likely, if that was my goal.

This is what happens when I do my Dialectical behavior therapy and try and see both sides of an argument, lol.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(January 20, 2017 at 10:13 pm)Aroura Wrote: I completely agree, as I said in my post, that since we are on an atheist forum, this is the place to say it. I also don't think anyone saying it is a douchbag at all. I just could also see why they felt insulted.
I do think making people uncomfortable in their belief is one way to change them, and this insult seems pretty minor.

Personally though, after hearing how insulting it seems from their side, I would stick by the validity of the argument itself, but realize it wasn't going to change a mind, most likely, if that was my goal.

This is what happens when I do my Dialectical behavior therapy and try and see both sides of an argument, lol.

Well yes, the first post here started with NS converting his personal butthurt into that specific insult. While he was intending to insult others though, that's not how I'm seeing my deity comparison. I don't insult people over their religious beliefs and I don't see mocking the belief itself as an insult directed at the believer. If I wanted to insult them, I'd call them names as a result of their beliefs. So far I haven't done that, and yet they are sticking those words in my mouth anyway. You and the theists are welcome to view this as insulting all day long, but I don't see it. Again, not sorry.

I think one difference between you and I, Aroura, is that you seem to care about changing their beliefs (as I understood from your previous post at least). I don't care about converting anyone. I do care about informing others about what I do or do not believe, though. I'm going to keep doing that.
(January 20, 2017 at 10:02 pm)Aroura Wrote: Wow, you guys be angry, lol.

Look, I agree with the tooth fairy comparison. Im actually with Hammy and think it's possibly more absurd than fairies I also just agree that it's insulting to say aloud to a believer. You are responsible for what you say, if it affects others, particularly if they let you know how it made them feel, giving you the chance to edit it. If you, ehem, chose not to, that's fine, you are all adults and I'm not the boss of any of you.

You guys really think people freely chose belief and how one defines onesself though? Can anyone here chose to start believing in God right now? Can you alter any one belief at all for me today by choice alone?

Personally, if I'm trying to get a person to agree with me, that is to alter their belief, I think insulting them works against that purpose, weather I mean to or not, because it will cause them to shut out my reasoning with an emotional response. If your goal is just to point and laugh....have at it I guess.

Great post.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
This may come as a surprise, but I do believe in the tooth fairy. And I'm hurt, because some people are saying there is something very wrong with me. Why? Just because my belief is not popular with adults? I don't mind you mocking the belief itself, but why do you have to go and attack my character? You don't know why I believe. You're just assuming I'm some sort of crazy person.

What you have to understand is that the tooth fairy isn't quite as described to children. The parents put the money there, but that's because it is the will of the tooth fairy. It doesn't need to physically appear. You can't see it unless you really believe in it. Not many people do, and it doesn't often visit adults. Many children see it, as it does occasionally deliver money itself, to true believers. But the parents never accept this testimony.

I have had personal experiences with the tooth fairy, and it has changed my life. And I don't hide behind popularity. I own my belief. Mock it all you want, but stop attacking me as a person. You wouldn't like it if I did it to you.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 20, 2017 at 10:30 pm)Jesster Wrote:
(January 20, 2017 at 10:13 pm)Aroura Wrote: I completely agree, as I said in my post, that since we are on an atheist forum, this is the place to say it. I also don't think anyone saying it is a douchbag at all. I just could also see why they felt insulted.

Well yes, the first post here started with NS converting his personal butthurt into that specific insult. While he was intending to insult others though, that's not how I'm seeing my deity comparison. I don't insult people over their religious beliefs and I don't see mocking the belief itself as an insult directed at the believer. If I wanted to insult them, I'd call them names as a result of their beliefs. So far I haven't done that, and yet they are sticking those words in my mouth anyway. You and the theists are welcome to view this as insulting all day long, but I don't see it. Again, not sorry.

I think one difference between you and I, Aroura, is that you seem to care about changing their beliefs (as I understood from your previous post at least). I don't care about converting anyone. I do care about informing others about what I do or do not believe, though. I'm going to keep doing that.
I actually have zero interest in converting, or deconverting people. I spend almost no time on this forums debating theists, and even less IRL, lol.  I have no idea why I phrased it that way.
Let me rephrase to, if you want someone to listen to your ideas and try and understand your point of view (which seems to be what you want), instead of CHANGE to their point of view.  Same thing, same point about how to address them. This applies completely to the OP calling people douchbags or whatever, as well, and is not directed at any single member in this thread,more of a general observation on my part. If he wants us to listen and not just get offended and riles up, then don't call your audience douchebags. 

But whatever, I can see you aren't interested in what I was saying anyway, and that's fine too.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(January 20, 2017 at 10:02 pm)Aroura Wrote: Wow, you guys be angry, lol.

Look, I agree with the tooth fairy comparison. Im actually with Hammy and think it's possibly more absurd than fairies  I also just agree that it's insulting to say aloud to a believer. You are responsible for what you say, if it affects others, particularly if they let you know how it made them feel, giving you the chance to edit it. If you, ehem, chose not to, that's fine, you are all adults and I'm not the boss of any of you.

You guys really think people freely chose belief and how one defines onesself though? Can anyone here chose to start believing in God right now? Can you alter any one belief at all for me today by choice alone?

Personally,  if I'm trying to get a person to agree with me, that is to alter their belief, I think insulting them works against that purpose, weather I mean to or not, because it will cause them to shut out my reasoning with an emotional response. If your goal is just to point and laugh....have at it I guess.

Also, remember that most of the atheists here on this forum used to be theists at some point. I don't think the conversations are pointless or that all theists are brick walls. I've seen at least 2 Christians deconverted after conversations with non believers, though it took time to digest in both cases, both admitted why. I myself deconverted as an adult, for many reasons really, and it was a long process, but what put me over the hump were good arguments from a non believer.

Meh, again you are all adults. I just find a pot of honey draws more flies than a pot of vinegar. Maybe we should just give them POT? Lol

I don't think there's any anger, certainly a lot of frustration.

At the end of the day I don't think anyone should be so offended by an insult that they react as Neo has. I mean if we want to play tit for tat, let's go tit for tat. Theists will lose that game any day of the week.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

(January 20, 2017 at 7:59 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Meh, like I said, I see tooth fairy comparisons here all the time and have never said a word. I came into this thread to confirm for the first time ever that yes, I do find it offensive, and to explain why I do. That's all. I'm not trying to silence anyone, neither do i expect anyone to actually care. Chad and I have just as much right to say we find a particular comment offensive as anyone else does to make the offensive remark in the first place, imho. There are numerous threads here about ppl taking offense to others saying they prayed for them. But somehow me and Chad are the only "sensitive/insecure" ones.

I understand that as a believer you disagree that belief in god is different somehow to belief in the tooth fairy, but to try and limit how we can describe how we view things is a little controlling.

To me there is no difference and the tooth fairy comparison is perhaps the easiest way to convey how we feel to theists.

It is not meant as an insult (by me) but as a quick way to show how I honestly feel about the god you choose to believe in.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

My theory.
Jesus is Santa! Have you ever seen both at the same time! (too soon?) lol!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'm batman and you can't prove otherwise.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1959 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 5987 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Old Style Evie/Why "gods" are bullshit. Edwardo Piet 52 10306 January 14, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4586 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Golden Rule ? Sense or Bullshit? Magnum 92 35493 July 26, 2013 at 11:41 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Evolution is a fairy tale, the peanut butter says so. The Heff 30 10040 June 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Penn and Teller Bullshit: The Bible Gooders1002 0 1850 May 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Penn and Teller Bullshit: The Vatican LarissaAnn 2 1585 December 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Crowd sourcing bullshit control Ziploc Surprise 4 1913 October 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Santa, The Tooth Fairy and the Fantabulous Fabularium of Innocent Myths ElDinero 18 3447 October 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Diamond