Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 10:39 am

Poll: Do you believe in God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
13.92%
148 13.92%
No
86.08%
915 86.08%
Total 1063 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
RE: Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
(December 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm)saratbabu Wrote: NO,THERE IS NO GOD

When i am not 100% sure of something i usually say............I am not sure but i don't think so.
Now when someone say something in a total positive way without bring any concrete evidence i usually regard that statement like a fart but sometime can be true and the fart can be turned into rose perfume.
For the last few month i try to get some concrete evidence from people who were saying that life is finite but no body could bring any evidence.
The same thing now happen with people who say that God does not exist.
Do i ask too much if i require evidence and i think it would be polite to say...........I DO NOT THINK GOD EXIST......until they come up with concrete evidence that back up their claim? Wink Shades
(December 9, 2013 at 10:51 am)enrico Wrote:
(December 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm)saratbabu Wrote: NO,THERE IS NO GOD

When i am not 100% sure of something i usually say............I am not sure but i don't think so.
Now when someone say something in a total positive way without bring any concrete evidence i usually regard that statement like a fart but sometime can be true and the fart can be turned into rose perfume.
For the last few month i try to get some concrete evidence from people who were saying that life is finite but no body could bring any evidence.
The same thing now happen with people who say that God does not exist.
Do i ask too much if i require evidence and i think it would be polite to say...........I DO NOT THINK GOD EXIST......until they come up with concrete evidence that back up their claim? Wink Shades

There is Abundant evidence that individual "life" is finite -

Virtually everything you eat - which has to be digested in your body - was once alive. And you eat very little living beef or pork or chicken - much less the cooked or harvested vegetables.

If you want proof that life is finite - go to a cemetery and dig up a human from 100 years ago - who was not embalmed. YOU will find a lot of bones - and most of the living tissue will be gone.

Most countries even have a definition of human death as well. One would not need that if life was not finite.

AS far as saying there is no "god" - you are using an all encompassing term to potentially describe a number of different claims and concepts. Let us limit the term "god" to its so called supernatural definition - and leave Elvis out of this.

You are correct in saying that you cannot prove the negative - that no "god" exists - However - it is possible to say a particular Claimed god is nonsense.
I can - without any concern - say that there is no god of the major religions that actually exists. It is simply impossible for All of the claims to actually be true of the same being. These claims often contradict themselves - to the point that a being could not fulfill them at the same time.

For example - there is no god that can be both All knowing and Almighty at the same time. An all knowing god would know everything that was to happen for all time - past - present and future. And therefore it can only do what it already knows to be ALL knowing - it does not have the power to do something else (Which would eliminate all knowing). And if there is something it cannot do = it cannot be almighty. Of course - if everything must happen as the god knows - then there is NO FREE WILL - at the time you make a "decision" the ONLY choice you actually have is to do what the god knows - you also cannot choose to do something else. (THere are lots more contradictions as well)

Based on that - the Xtian, Jewish, and Islamic gods (Which are not the same no matter how many people claim them to be) cannot actually exist as claimed.

IF you took the time to look into them - all of the gods of major religion are impossibilities.

No go one step further. - The most basic claim for proving of a god - doesn't actually do that one. The claim the the universe needed an origin requires a god - which is not true. All that might imply - is a creator - with that power - to create. Even if a higher power were needed - one all encompassing creature is simply not implied. Nor is the continued existence of that creature as well - the Big bang might as well been the destruction of that being.

So - I see no reason for a god to have existed as well as still exists.
(December 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm)ThomM Wrote: There is Abundant evidence that individual "life" is finite - Virtually everything you eat - which has to be digested in your body - was once alive. And you eat very little living beef or pork or chicken - much less the cooked or harvested vegetables. If you want proof that life is finite - go to a cemetery and dig up a human from 100 years ago - who was not embalmed. YOU will find a lot of bones - and most of the living tissue will be gone. Most countries even have a definition of human death as well. One would not need that if life was not finite.

Where suppose to be the evidence that the consciousness stick with the dead body? Thinking

Quote:AS far as saying there is no "god" - you are using an all encompassing term to potentially describe a number of different claims and concepts. Let us limit the term "god" to its so called supernatural definition - and leave Elvis out of this.
You are correct in saying that you cannot prove the negative - that no "god" exists - However - it is possible to say a particular Claimed god is nonsense.
I can - without any concern - say that there is no god of the major religions that actually exists. It is simply impossible for All of the claims to actually be true of the same being. These claims often contradict themselves - to the point that a being could not fulfill them at the same time.
For example - there is no god that can be both All knowing and Almighty at the same time. An all knowing god would know everything that was to happen for all time - past - present and future. And therefore it can only do what it already knows to be ALL knowing - it does not have the power to do something else (Which would eliminate all knowing). And if there is something it cannot do = it cannot be almighty. Of course - if everything must happen as the god knows - then there is NO FREE WILL - at the time you make a "decision" the ONLY choice you actually have is to do what the god knows - you also cannot choose to do something else. (THere are lots more contradictions as well)
Based on that - the Xtian, Jewish, and Islamic gods (Which are not the same no matter how many people claim them to be) cannot actually exist as claimed.
IF you took the time to look into them - all of the gods of major religion are impossibilities. No go one step further. - The most basic claim for proving of a god - doesn't actually do that one. The claim the the universe needed an origin requires a god - which is not true. All that might imply - is a creator - with that power - to create. Even if a higher power were needed - one all encompassing creature is simply not implied. Nor is the continued existence of that creature as well - the Big bang might as well been the destruction of that being. So - I see no reason for a god to have existed as well as still exists.

I am not really interested in what religions say.
As i said again and again religions are based on dogmas or false truth.
There is no point in trying to figure out whether God exist or not based on assumptions.
The only way to find out whether God exist or not is to expand our own consciousness and from there one realize that deep inside there is a mine of spiritual gold and that gold is something alive and well.
From there one has got to establish a relationship with that entity.
Slowly slowly one realize who this entity is.
Religions see everything external but externally there is nothing.
Everything is internal and within is where God lie. Angel Cloud
Why do we attribute everything we do not understand to supernatural or magical?
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(December 26, 2013 at 8:26 am)Dragonetti Wrote: Why do we attribute everything we do not understand to supernatural or magical?

Supernatural can be a misleading word.
What we call supernatural is natural for God or for anyone who reach an high degree of consciousness.
WTF? So you are aware of this special being? Also, conscious is an absolute word. Either you are or not, there are no degrees.

Mostly Dead!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(December 26, 2013 at 10:36 am)Dragonetti Wrote: WTF? So you are aware of this special being?

My spiritual master was such a being.

Quote:Also, conscious is an absolute word. Either you are or not, there are no degrees.

Yes there are degrees.
It is like the steps that you take when you want to become a doctor.
You got to go through primary, high school, uni and so on so step by step your degree of consciousness increase. Cool Shades
To misquote the Queen of Hearts:
Definition first,
Verdict afterwards.
I don't believe in a personal God that affects material reality in any coherent fashion, much less one who talks to people. If God gets redefined as the perceived organization of the Universe embodied in what we recognize as natural law then, yes, I believe in It. But I call it Nature, not God.

Quote:Also, conscious is an absolute word. Either you are or not, there are no degrees.

If there are no degrees to consciousness, why do we have the expression semi-conscious?

?
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(December 26, 2013 at 8:24 am)enrico Wrote: Where suppose to be the evidence that the consciousness stick with the dead body? Thinking

No one said it does. Consciousness dies with the brain.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(January 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm)Chas Wrote:
(December 26, 2013 at 8:24 am)enrico Wrote: Where suppose to be the evidence that the consciousness stick with the dead body? Thinking

No one said it does.

Sure, nobody said that but they keep on saying that when you die also the consciousness die.
Can't you see any difference? Smile

Quote:Consciousness dies with the brain.

You see!
You even say something similar.
What is the difference in saying that the consciousness die with the body or the brain?
Oh, by the way i guess you got some solid evidence in that regard.
Ok. i am very very patient. i can wait for your evidence until the next Christmas. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5785 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Gallup Poll for 2022 TheJefe817 27 3144 July 2, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7689 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35791 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2423 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8526 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13886 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4204 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6527 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3242 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball