Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 4:18 pm

Poll: Do you believe in God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
13.92%
148 13.92%
No
86.08%
915 86.08%
Total 1063 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
RE: Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
(March 11, 2014 at 9:03 am)enrico Wrote: Gee, you must have had a lot of time to go around and interview billion of people about the subject.
How many lifetime did it take to carry out this task? Thinking
Do you realize that your comment essentially confirms his? If no one can interview billions of people to figure out how to find god, then we have no way of knowing. Especially since no one has figured out how to pull god out of his hidey place, and many of you even claim that he cannot be detected by any physical means. Heck, your main claim to evidence requires people to almost die.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I don't know if a spiritual realm exists, but there is no evidence currently to support it. That said, no one knows if a god exists or not. I reject all religious "ideas" of a god handed down throughout the centuries.

I'm not closed minded to the possibility of the existence of a "higher power," but I'm at peace in the fact that I don't need to know, anymore.

Oh lawdie, I hope that doesn't sound like a non-answer. Big Grin
(March 11, 2014 at 9:14 am)Tonus Wrote:
(March 11, 2014 at 9:03 am)enrico Wrote: Gee, you must have had a lot of time to go around and interview billion of people about the subject.
How many lifetime did it take to carry out this task? Thinking
Do you realize that your comment essentially confirms his? If no one can interview billions of people to figure out how to find god, then we have no way of knowing. Especially since no one has figured out how to pull god out of his hidey place, and many of you even claim that he cannot be detected by any physical means. Heck, your main claim to evidence requires people to almost die.

Your statement does not make any sense.
Your dogma is that if God exist then there should be physically tested.
1) It is not true that no one has figured out how to pull God out of his "hidey" place.
Since old old times people reach human emancipation like Buddha which means that they merged in the ocean of cosmic consciousness and become one with God.
2) God is not a physical entity therefore you need a non-physical approach to make it real in your life.
3) You need the right attitude to discover him.
It is like any relationship.
If you are interested in someone it is possible that that entity will reciprocate.
Just look at the next comment in which Deidre32 say....... I'm at peace in the fact that I don't need to know......
You see... if she is not interested in knowing, why God should be interested in let her know that he exist?
Would you reciprocate to someone who is not interested in you? Smile
(March 12, 2014 at 4:23 am)enrico Wrote: 1) It is not true that no one has figured out how to pull God out of his "hidey" place.
Since old old times people reach human emancipation like Buddha which means that they merged in the ocean of cosmic consciousness and become one with God.
Except that people have managed to reach into their consciousness and literally pull out millions of different gods, including dozens (if not hundreds) of versions of the same gods. Not surprisingly, which version they happen to stumble upon is reliably dependent on location and culture.

You see, if every single person that sought out god found the exact same god, we would not have to worry about finding physical evidence. God would have made his existence pretty clear. But most people find god in a mirror. Perhaps they don't realize this, which is why they insist that they found the one true god and that if you didn't find that same god you just weren't using the proper search method, or whatever it is they need to maintain that feeling that they're really and truly special.

Not surprisingly, they are unable to produce any evidence of this "god-that-is-really-me." They tell us that their evidence is personal and not reproducible, but that it is legitimate. They tell us that god cannot be found if he doesn't want to be, and he has a very simple method for being found that only works in an extremely limited set of circumstances and only if we have "the right attitude." Which isn't convenient at all! They place layer after layer of philosophical and metaphysical terms upon god until he's slathered in a warm blanket of woo that covers him up quite effectively.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 12, 2014 at 5:40 am)Tonus Wrote:
(March 12, 2014 at 4:23 am)enrico Wrote: 1) It is not true that no one has figured out how to pull God out of his "hidey" place.
Except that people have managed to reach into their consciousness and literally pull out millions of different gods, including dozens (if not hundreds) of versions of the same gods. Not surprisingly, which version they happen to stumble upon is reliably dependent on location and culture.

You see, if every single person that sought out god found the exact same god, we would not have to worry about finding physical evidence. God would have made his existence pretty clear. But most people find god in a mirror. Perhaps they don't realize this, which is why they insist that they found the one true god and that if you didn't find that same god you just weren't using the proper search method, or whatever it is they need to maintain that feeling that they're really and truly special.

Not surprisingly, they are unable to produce any evidence of this "god-that-is-really-me." They tell us that their evidence is personal and not reproducible, but that it is legitimate. They tell us that god cannot be found if he doesn't want to be, and he has a very simple method for being found that only works in an extremely limited set of circumstances and only if we have "the right attitude." Which isn't convenient at all! They place layer after layer of philosophical and metaphysical terms upon god until he's slathered in a warm blanket of woo that covers him up quite effectively.

Sure, i can agree with you up to the point but at the end there is always a way of knowing.
When you buy a fish the best way to know if it is fresh or not is to look at his eyes.
When you buy a horse always look at his teeth..and so on.
At the same time if you want to know whether a person has got a good relationship with God you got to look at his-her eyes for brightness, at his smell for purity, at his voice for calmness and wisdom and so on.
But most of all you got to see if that person is engaged in the practical pursuit rather then be stuck with old dogmas.
You still can go wrong but the chances are rarer. Smile
I think the real question is "Why the fuck would someone who believes in God visit the Atheist Forums?"
(April 6, 2014 at 10:45 pm)Cobra Commander Wrote: I think the real question is "Why the fuck would someone who believes in God visit the Atheist Forums?"

I can not speak for religious people who may try to convert.
Personally i like the challenge.
I like to talk about almost everything.
At the moment i am in a thread talking about meat eating.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24304.html

I think an atheist has lock him-herself into a corral of dogmas
or false truth so i find a lot of fun to see an atheist argue from inside a cage.
I usually talk about God when someone ask for or in a thread that talk about God but i do not start a thread about God in order to push my view. Cool Shades
(April 8, 2014 at 7:55 am)enrico Wrote:
(April 6, 2014 at 10:45 pm)Cobra Commander Wrote: I think the real question is "Why the fuck would someone who believes in God visit the Atheist Forums?"

I can not speak for religious people who may try to convert.
Personally i like the challenge.
I like to talk about almost everything.
At the moment i am in a thread talking about meat eating.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24304.html

I think an atheist has lock him-herself into a corral of dogmas
or false truth so i find a lot of fun to see an atheist argue from inside a cage.
I usually talk about God when someone ask for or in a thread that talk about God but i do not start a thread about God in order to push my view. Cool Shades

Lets go a couple rounds.. I got some time to kill... 1. Do u believe everything in the bible is true?
(April 8, 2014 at 8:00 am)truthBtold Wrote: Lets go a couple rounds.. I got some time to kill... 1. Do u believe everything in the bible is true?

Religious people believe in the bible.
Ask them.
Did you think that any theist follow the so called holy books?
Do you know what is the difference between spirituality and religion? Thinking
(April 8, 2014 at 9:17 am)enrico Wrote:
(April 8, 2014 at 8:00 am)truthBtold Wrote: Lets go a couple rounds.. I got some time to kill... 1. Do u believe everything in the bible is true?

Religious people believe in the bible.
Ask them.
Did you think that any theist follow the so called holy books?
Do you know what is the difference between spirituality and religion? Thinking

They are both a meditation piece.. thats it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5750 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Gallup Poll for 2022 TheJefe817 27 3140 July 2, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7608 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35712 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2407 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8442 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13845 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4198 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6505 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3237 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball