Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 7:54 am

Poll: Do you believe in God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
13.92%
148 13.92%
No
86.08%
915 86.08%
Total 1063 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
RE: Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
(October 16, 2014 at 9:44 am)pocaracas Wrote: uh?

You're basing your whole argument on "likely"??

(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: What this study didn't tell you is the fact that under that city it is likely that there is an other city even older.

Haven't you heard? It's turtles all the way down.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 16, 2014 at 11:14 am)Stimbo Wrote:
(October 16, 2014 at 9:44 am)pocaracas Wrote: uh?

You're basing your whole argument on "likely"??

Haven't you heard? It's turtles all the way down.

Turtles doing yoga? Thinking

(October 16, 2014 at 11:04 am)Riketto Wrote: 1) I am basing my claims on the connection that exist among Shiva, yoga, the svastika, the sanskrit language and the mantra.
2) These days when they build something first they pull down the previous construction and the debris are removed so no trace of previous structure remain.
This didn't happen in the past that is why in such an old place like Varanasi is still possible to find traces of previous civilization.

Your argument is equivalent to:

The United States stretches across the North American continent.
The North American continent has been around for 80 million years.
Therefore, the United States has been around for 80 million years.
And there are rocks even older, so that proves it.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
No, more like cities built on older ones ad infinitum. The quoted bit from Prik's post gave the context.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: What this study didn't tell you is the fact that under that city it is likely that there is an other city even older.

To which study are you referring? I'd like to verify that it didn't tell us that for myself. Or are you just pulling shit from your ass?

Quote:The earliest known archaeological evidence suggests that settlement around Varanasi in the Ganga valley (the seat of Vedic religion and philosophy) began in the 11th or 12th century BC, placing it among the world's oldest continually inhabited cities. ... It is possible that archaeological evidence of these previous inhabitants has yet to be discovered. Recent excavations at Aktha and Ramnagar, two sites very near to Varanasi, show them to be from 1800 BC, suggesting Varanasi started to be inhabited by that time too.

Wikipedia | Varanasi

Do you know what the word 'excavation' means, Riketto?

Quote:It is for this reason the archaeologists of the Banaras Hindu University commenced their academic pursuit from the excavation of RAJGHAT (ancient Varanasi).

Important Archaeological Discoveries by the Banaras Hindu University
Referenced by the Wikipedia article
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: The only sub-case that you put up was a study that said that Varanasi is not older than 4000 years.

To prove my point that the temples you were referring to couldn't be older than that - you see how this works, I make a claim and I provide evidence to back it up. Now you try it.

Even if there was, and there is no evidence that there is, the temples of Varanasi would still be less than 4000 years old - if that.

(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: Your small vision may let you think that a place like Varanasi is similar to the cities in north America or Australia where the local civilization never was able to build cities so what you see these days in NY or LA is a single layer of build up and under this layer there is nothing else.
Different cultures build up different things so you can not really compare Varanasi with NY or LA.

Non-sequitur.

(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: The connection among Shiva, the svastika, the sanskrit language and the mantra is there, they all go hand in hand.

You haven't been able to prove that so far. But do keep trying.

(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: You make a statement that is all a religious thing but Shiva never teach religion.

Ofcourse not - because he didn't exist. But he is a religious figure which makes all thins related to him religious things.
(October 16, 2014 at 2:01 pm)genkaus Wrote: You haven't been able to prove that so far. But do keep trying.
I was going to say that I wouldn't describe what he is doing as "trying," but I admit that I do find his methods to be quite trying at times.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(October 16, 2014 at 10:10 am)Riketto Wrote: Under most of the cities in these places have found remains of previous civilization.

And unless you can provide evidence that this previous civilization practiced yoga or spoke Sanskrit or worshiped a yoga practicing version of Shiva - all your arguments have fallen flat.

(October 16, 2014 at 10:10 am)Riketto Wrote: The chances that under the actual Varanasi there is nothing are remote or nil but maybe there can be a chance outside 99.99% of the probabilities that is why i said likely. Smile

What exactly are you basing this probability on? I need to see some calculations.

(October 16, 2014 at 11:04 am)Riketto Wrote: 1) I am basing my claims on the connection that exist among Shiva, yoga, the svastika, the sanskrit language and the mantra.

That connection would be that they are all parts of Hinduism. That's insufficient to establish a timeline - for that, you'd need more.

(October 16, 2014 at 11:04 am)Riketto Wrote: 2) These days when they build something first they pull down the previous construction and the debris are removed so no trace of previous structure remain.
This didn't happen in the past that is why in such an old place like Varanasi is still possible to find traces of previous civilization.

Well, then, get your shovel and start digging instead of shoveling manure here.
(October 16, 2014 at 2:01 pm)genkaus Wrote:
(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: The only sub-case that you put up was a study that said that Varanasi is not older than 4000 years.

To prove my point that the temples you were referring to couldn't be older than that - you see how this works, I make a claim and I provide evidence to back it up. Now you try it.

Your claim that Varanasi is not older than 4000 years does mean anything.
After few thousand years buildings start crumbling.
Those who make that study were clever enough to find temples dating back 4000 years.
Look at the colosseum which is about 2000 years.
Half is already crumbled down and the rest stand up thanks to continuous restoration otherwise even that would have gone by now.
No wonder that the experts find difficult to go behind the limit of 4000 years.
In the near future i am sure that new technologies will be able to go behind that limit and find out the real age of Varanasi.

Quote:Even if there was, and there is no evidence that there is, the temples of Varanasi would still be less than 4000 years old - if that.

Give time and new studies and new technologies will uncover the real age.

Quote:Non-sequitur.

Non-sequitur. Clap

(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: The connection among Shiva, the svastika, the sanskrit language and the mantra is there, they all go hand in hand.

Quote:You haven't been able to prove that so far. But do keep trying.

Very strange indeed.
To practice yoga meditation you sit in the lotus posture which is the way Shiva is represented.
To practice meditation you breath in and out by focusing on the mantra which is part of the sanskrit alphabet.
The pratik with the svastika which is the symbol of spiritual victory is wear by those who practice yoga.
So all goes hand in hand and all is connected whether you agree or not.
http://www.varanasicity.com/sanskrit.html

(October 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Riketto Wrote: You make a statement that is all a religious thing but Shiva never teach religion.

Quote:Ofcourse not - because he didn't exist. But he is a religious figure which makes all thins related to him religious things.

Try to be more coherent.
When i say that Shiva was there 7000 years ago you asked me for evidence.
Now you make a statement in which you say that Shiva never existed.
Can you be consistent with your arguments and give me the evidence that Shiva never existed? Cool Shades
(October 17, 2014 at 9:56 am)Riketto Wrote: Give time and new studies and new technologies will uncover the real age.

And until then, your claims are unjustified.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 17, 2014 at 9:58 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(October 17, 2014 at 9:56 am)Riketto Wrote: Give time and new studies and new technologies will uncover the real age.

And until then, your claims are unjustified.

And until then your counterclaim are also unjustified but in the meantime everything make sense to me as the meditation open up more hidden consciousness. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5759 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Gallup Poll for 2022 TheJefe817 27 3142 July 2, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7658 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35775 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2419 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8477 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13865 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4202 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6515 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3239 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball