Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 3:00 am

Poll: Do you believe in God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
13.92%
148 13.92%
No
86.08%
915 86.08%
Total 1063 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
RE: Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
The mind is like an onion! No! The mind is like a car! Onion! Car! Onion! Car!

The truth is it's like neither of these. You're just making up shit again, Riketto.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Like the new name there, Rik. Is that a silent 'p' or did you misspell it?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 15, 2015 at 11:04 am)Tonus Wrote:
(May 15, 2015 at 9:38 am)Little Rik Wrote: You keep on citing the brain as the one who is in charge but in reality is in charge for nothing so if you really want to understand something in this
context you really should deal with the mind not the brain.
Researchers have been able to map out the areas of the brain responsible for various aspects of the mind by studying which areas 'light up' when people are thinking or reacting in various ways.  I'm not concerned with whether the brain is "in charge" or whether the mind is.  They're part of the same system.  The car/driver analogy is designed to explain how the mind is a wholly separate entity that can exist apart from the physical body, but once you go there you are in the realm of metaphysics, which you have admitted cannot be studied in any consistent or verifiable manner.  I don't worry about the stuff that cannot be tested, much less researched in a consistent manner.  And the more we learn, the more we find that the mind is just a function of the brain, not a metaphysical construct.

I see no reason to chase after ghosts, when science has proven capable of finding the answers if given enough time and enough freedom to work unhindered.

You tell me one single thing outside the physical world that physical science has ever find out with solid evidence and i will cover you with 24 carat gold. 
Physically speaking we got all sort of limitation because this universe is finite in nature so this type of science can only find answers related to this physical world.
As i said before to go outside these limitations you need a different type of science.  Lightbulb
[Image: lkyu7.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 16, 2015 at 7:28 am)Little Rik Wrote: You tell me one single thing outside the physical world that physical science has ever find out with solid evidence and i will cover you with 24 carat gold.

Is there anything "outside the physical world" to be discovered?

(May 16, 2015 at 7:28 am)Little Rik Wrote: Physically speaking we got all sort of limitation because this universe is finite in nature so this type of science can only find answers related to this physical world.

What evidence do you have that this universe is "finite in nature"?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(May 16, 2015 at 9:05 am)IATIA Wrote:
(May 16, 2015 at 7:28 am)Little Rik Wrote: You tell me one single thing outside the physical world that physical science has ever find out with solid evidence and i will cover you with 24 carat gold.

Quote:Is there anything "outside the physical world" to be discovered?

The iceberg is one but you usually see only the part above the water.
The bigger chunk is below.
Our outer mind is like the iceberg above the water.
Under the outer mind we got the big chunk of knowledge and with the knowledge come the
realization of who we are.
But again physical science can not penetrate this huge chunk below the outer mind.
How do we know is there?
That is the secret of life.
Once you get tired of getting nowhere and you wish to go somewhere the teacher will show you how.  Smile

(May 16, 2015 at 7:28 am)Little Rik Wrote: Physically speaking we got all sort of limitation because this universe is finite in nature so this type of science can only find answers related to this physical world.

What evidence do you have that this universe is "finite in nature"?

Nothing in this universe can give us peace of mind.
If our wishes and desires would be limited than we would find peace of mind and happiness
but it never happen for the simple reason that we are born with longing for infinite happiness.
From here we can deduce that this universe is finite.  Demon
Consult your intuition, little Rik. You will see that you've been wrong the whole time.
(May 16, 2015 at 10:00 am)Little Rik Wrote: Nothing in this universe can give us peace of mind.
If our wishes and desires would be limited than we would find peace of mind and happiness
but it never happen for the simple reason that we are born with longing for infinite happiness.

Nothing more than proselytization and opinion. IMHO the universe is infinite. In another 13 billion years, we will see that the universe is 26 billion years old. We can only see the light that has arrived. There are structures in the universe that suggest this is so.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(May 16, 2015 at 1:51 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(May 16, 2015 at 10:00 am)Little Rik Wrote: Nothing in this universe can give us peace of mind.

Nothing more than proselytization and opinion.  IMHO the universe is infinite.  In another 13 billion years, we will see that the universe is 26 billion years old.  We can only see the light that has arrived.  There are structures in the universe that suggest this is so.

The fact that the universe is very very big doesn't mean that it is infinite.
To find out whether this universe is finite or not you don't really have to try to go at the rim of it.
The fact is that this universe is made of matter and matter can not be superior to pure consciousness.
It would be like to say that the vehicle is superior to the driver.
You see how wrong you are?
How is ever possible for something inferior to consciousness bring peace of mind to such a consciousness?
From here we can deduce that this physical universe is finite but you are free to think otherwise and wasting your precious time in
useless mental effort.  Demon

(May 16, 2015 at 11:46 am)whateverist Wrote: Consult your intuition, little Rik.  You will see that you've been wrong the whole time.

Speculations are just like hot air.
When you will be ready to challenge me i will be ready to comply.
Until then you may well keep all your hot air for youself.  Hi Demon Hi
Physically speaking we got all sort of limitation because this universe is finite in nature so this type of science can only find answers related to this physical world.
As i said before to go outside these limitations you need a different type of science.  Lightbulb
You are going in circles.  We have been through this before.  You speak of a "science" that cannot be researched, tested, compared, or verified, by your own definition.  Your science is the science of nonsense.  Anyone can make any claims about it, backed by "feelings" and "intuition."  No claims regarding your science can be proved or disproved, and therefore all claims regarding it are valid.  This is the old theist ploy: as science discovers more and learns more and finds no gods or spirits, you find deeper and deeper holes to hide them in.  Having run out of hiding places in the physical world, you make up a whole new dimension in which to hide your gods.  Poor, poor gods, being grabbed roughly by the arm and dragged from one gap to another.  I'm sure that if you'd stop shoving them around they'd be happy to stop and say hi.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5741 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Gallup Poll for 2022 TheJefe817 27 3139 July 2, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7599 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35712 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2406 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8353 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13837 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4198 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6503 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3234 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball