Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being?
RE: Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being?
(August 9, 2015 at 9:44 am)vixene Wrote:
(August 9, 2015 at 9:25 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: You shouldn't worry too much about labels. 

The rule of thumb I use is - when I'm in a mood to argue with theists, I tell them I'm an atheist, preferably "strong" - because that p*sses them off the most. 

When I don't feel like arguing, or there are too many theists around to risk a fist-fight - I present myself as an agnostic, because religious people see that as a sort of capitulation ("Oh, so you don't know if god exists - that means I'm right no matter what.") and leave me be. 

And calling yourself a deist almost guarantees they'll consider you as being on "their side", in a similar way they see members of competing  theistic religions, as somehow confirming their own faith, through belief in any god at all (however flawed that line of reasoning is) - and being in opposition to atheism.
In the real world, I don't really care for labels because I tend not to get into heated discussions with people regarding religious topics. But online, it seems unless you have an established label to fall back on, you're instantly dismissed or your contribution isn't seen as valid. But meh.

Labels are useful when regarding these religious topics, because it allows the debates to progress much easier. For example, if you described yourself as a Christian and I used Jesus in many references regarding your stance on a topic and then you said "well I really don't believe in Jesus", then we have to start over from square one and spend a good deal of time figuring out what you believe.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being? - by Mr.wizard - August 9, 2015 at 10:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 36049 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1494 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 31723 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 7251 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The myth of atheist core believe. The Lion Roar 102 18715 June 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8825 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6770 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5585 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 8056 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7106 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy