Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher
RE: What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher
(August 29, 2015 at 11:13 am)Stimbo Wrote: I don't recall saying the response which you attribute to me. Here's the point. If I ask a straightforward question, honestly and sincerely, and the questioned party points to something that doesn't address the question, can I then be castigated for not finding such a response satisfying?

Couple of years ago I was in the position of helping and supporting a friend who was being threatened by social services with having her child taken for adoption. Unjustly, I will add, purely for financial gain and because she was herself in the care system as a child. Two social workers were assigned to vet her parenting abilities during home visits over a period of about a month; they would bring the little boy - when it suited them - and assess her for a couple of hours. Eventually they produced a final report from their notes, a document filled with weasel language, emotional appeals, blatant misrepresentations and subjective opinion. I was able to pick it apart and produce our own report on their report, saving her defence attorney weeks of work.

I mention this to set up the background for a telephone exchange I had with the boy's guardian, who insisted on pointing to the assessment report for every flaw I pointed out in it. It was farcical, actually:
"Well the report says a, b and c..."
"Yes I know, but the report is wrong for the following reasons..."
"But the report says..."
And so on.

She did the same thing that you did a couple of posts ago, only she did it way before you. I asked how we can know that this special mark is actually there as you claim and if it can be or has been tested for its existence; you pointed to a document that affirms your claim. A response, but hardly an answer.
Documents are all they can point to besides thin air.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Messages In This Thread
Metziztzah B'Peh - by Jenny A - August 21, 2015 at 3:36 pm
RE: What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher - by Rhondazvous - August 29, 2015 at 11:53 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 833 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Palm Sunday Traditions Dundee 22 1892 April 17, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7542 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The most awkward conversation ever Cod 76 5403 April 3, 2019 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4506 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7875 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Chile abuse priest Fernando Karadima removed by Vatican zebo-the-fat 2 936 September 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pennsylvannia Pedo Priest HORROR vorlon13 124 7142 August 19, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Priest publicly wishes for Pope's quick death... c172 18 4903 March 22, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: c172
  The Silliest Conversation You Will Ever Have With A Christian Rhondazvous 37 4507 February 14, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd