Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 2:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
Quote:I think you're drawing a little bit of a causal relationship between people getting fatter in America and people believing that being fat is healthy. Americans are getting fatter because there is a Burger King on every corner, we work 51 weeks a year, and we have screens in every room of our house. Believe me, I live in Tennessee. There are more morbidly overweight people here than you can possibly imagine. Yet I still hear them tell me they want to lost weight, their doctor told them they were going to lose their foot to necrosis from diabetes. Not one person has tried to convince me that they were healthy while riding a scooter in WalMart.
I think this is misleading - Saying that Americans (or for the matter any other people) are getting fatter because there's a burger king or a fast food restaurant every corner is like saying the cause of gun shootings and killing sprees is the fact guns are sold in many stores - While I live in Europe and it is mostly illegal for civilians to own guns here, I think the cause of shooting sprees is not the fact guns are legal in America because, as you probably know, killing sprees are not that uncommon in scandinavia and people still acquire guns there. I think the availability of food influences how fat people get, but I don't think you can blame more weight on it - I'm pretty sure (and correct me if I'm wrong) that despite the fact America has so much processed food and junk food, it's more than possible to find healthy or otherwise normal food for decent prices - I also don't want to assume how many Burger Kings are out there, but in Europe fast food restaurants have existed and spread their availability for a long time, but I still don't see many of my friends going to MacDonalds every single day - In fact, I have a MacDonalds right next to me and I haven't gone there in 3 months because when I go out to dinner or lunch I prefer some traditional dish (mostly meat because I don't like fish much) since it's more worth the money.

Quote:Look, OP, my main point here is that fat shaming does not work. All it does is depress them even further. That's never the best way to get fat people to lose weight.

Also, keep in mind that, with anything, there is no one sufficient cause leading to extreme weight. It is always a combination of biological, psychological, and social factors interacting with each other.
Never did i argue that fat-shaming should be done to anybody - But I also think some people mistake a legitimate concern for someone's weight for fat-shaming. It's not fat-shaming if there aren't clothing sizes for you, or if you there isn't an elevator and you have trouble going up the stairs.

Also, I seriously doubt that factors are anything more than social since 50 years ago people were much thinner - I mean, my country itself is much fatter now, but when people were poor and couldn't eat much everybody was very thin, and I believe America before the 2000's was thin as well, so I don't think there's a genetic reason behind the increase in obesity. It's basic reasoning here.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health - by Dystopia - October 30, 2015 at 8:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health Supplement no one 0 297 July 24, 2023 at 7:28 am
Last Post: no one
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 1034 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission Agnostico 108 7624 June 14, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1468 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 761 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2707 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 15012 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10678 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I've lost more weight Foxaèr 14 1858 February 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your weight and waist size? ErGingerbreadMandude 52 7946 November 26, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude