Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 2:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
How much of the meat, by weight, is additive and GRAS (and what are those additives).  Guess what, you don't know..because they don't have to tell you.  So, when you see a sticker that says "up to 20% broth", for example..on the average store bought skinless boneless breast...there's yet another undeclared portion of that chicken breast which is most definitely not made of chicken.  

Basically, you're being sold plumped food.  Meat balloons, if you will.   Wink

As regards the veggies.  Two inconvnient issues crop up.  Firstly, the amount of veggies your store sells is miniscule.  It;s miniscule both to their profits and their square footage.  They use that aisle to get you in the door.  They want you to see that.  They want you to walk in and feel that "veggie aisle feeling"....and then traipse around the store buying everything else.  Which is what we, as americans, do.  The veggies themselves are less nutritionally dense than they were just a few years back...and this is intentional, and not entirely avoidable.  

I'm not telling anyone that there's -nothing- healthy to eat, anywhere...but you can find healthy food at McDonalds too.  I;m simply suggesting that the majority of whats available is not healthy, and that economic and social constraints steer us and cause people -to- steer us towards the unhealthy shit, time and time again.  Doesn't help, ofc, that our biology is fucking with us.  That unhealthy shit is often absurdly delicious.

Quote:I like to go to farmers markets and butcher shops too, and I know the cost is a factor but a lot of these places even take food stamps now.
This, right here, I love this. States are starting to roll out programs like this, it's a positive change. They're fighting against a tide of prior bad policy decisions, however. Course, if food stamps have to go to higher priced niche products in order to get healthy food, or in order to increase the ratio of healthy-to-unhealthy products.....is this not another example of precisely the problem I'm shining a light on? I'm not condemning your dietary choices, or claiming that you make poor ones, or that it's impossible for you to do so, I'm simply expressing that you are not given the opportunity as often as you could be, or would like to be. Cornbread outta fatten your beanpoles right up, btw.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health - by The Grand Nudger - October 30, 2015 at 10:50 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health Supplement no one 0 297 July 24, 2023 at 7:28 am
Last Post: no one
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 1034 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission Agnostico 108 7624 June 14, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1468 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 761 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2707 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 15012 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10678 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I've lost more weight Foxaèr 14 1858 February 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your weight and waist size? ErGingerbreadMandude 52 7946 November 26, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude