Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 3:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
(October 30, 2015 at 11:00 am)Losty Wrote: I honestly don't know a lot about this. The meat I buy isn't usually prepackaged. And the guy just writes the name and weight and date on it with a marker after he wraps it the plastic over it. Am I naively fooling myself into believing that the family owned butcher shop I like to frequent is healthier? I honestly don't know.

I get what you mean though. Unhealthy is always cheaper and more convenient and more available. It's also more popular and I struggle with that because I don't want my kids to be those weird kids who've never had pizza roles or koolaid. But I also don't want to give my kids pizza rolls or koolaid. The koolaid thing is something I will not bend on. I sometimes let my kids have unhealthy junk to eat though I try to avoid it as much as possible. But they have never had koolaid. The only pop they've had was Sprite (and that's just the older two as Miss P wasn't born yet) and I glared at my mother the entire time they were drinking it. My kids drink a lot of water and I have a juicer and a blender so they get watered down fruit juice and smoothies sometimes. I'm not crazy honestly. I blame the pediatrician office. They have posters of babies with rotted out teeth. It's traumatizing.

Going to a family owned butcher won't ensure that you get a better product, but it's likely that you can (with caveats...they still get their product from the same production apparatus).  Trouble is, we don't get our meat from butchers...and frankly, we can't.  Butchers went out of business because we the people couldn't afford them.  The solution to our problems cannot be a failed business model. I have a favorite butcher as well..the meat is good, the rest of the shit he has is the same shit the kroger has - there's just no getting around it, that's where the money's at. I have a special circumstance though. I live in the bluegrass. We have horses and cattle out the wazzoo..so for me, going to the butcher, is having my neighbor drop off the cow I bought when it's rdy to rock. This isn;t something that the majority of us can do, or would be willing to do.

*you just reminded me...I need to call his ass about a big fuckin turkey.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health - by The Grand Nudger - October 30, 2015 at 11:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health Supplement no one 0 304 July 24, 2023 at 7:28 am
Last Post: no one
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 1050 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission Agnostico 108 7670 June 14, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1486 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 767 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2731 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 15089 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10712 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I've lost more weight Foxaèr 14 1884 February 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your weight and waist size? ErGingerbreadMandude 52 8011 November 26, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude