Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 1:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Limits of Possible Explanation
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation
(March 12, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Sam Wrote: Mark, I apologise if I have given you the impression that i believe there is a "special class of explanation which fails to supply an account of the relationship between things"

I don't think I've ever said or infered that. My argument comes from the fact that your definition precludes an explanation from covering the origin of something/everything.
Well, unless there is such a thing as acceptable explanation that does not supply an account of the relationship between things, then then everything is not something that is subject to acceptable explanation, whether in terms of an origin or anything else. It appears now that you yourself now concede this. So what what, according to you, is explanation?

(March 12, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Sam Wrote: Obviously, as I believe you pointed out this discussion is based around an infinite regress of cause and effect, back to the intial cause.
Well, infinitely regressive explanation would be a consequence of assuming that everything must have a cause. One would then have to specify its cause, and off you go. But I doubt that there is an infinitely regressive set of actual things, forces, whatever, waiting to be discovered in an infinite regress of scientific exploration. You would never reach the end in any case, so you would never have the explanation of the set of all existing things.

(March 12, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Sam Wrote: So as has been the case (In plate tectonic theory for example) the advancement of scientific technique and knowledge creates more explanations, based on the relationships between observed phonomena which explain their origin
Well yes, it has been the case that science becomes more and more ramified and more and more knowledge is gained about the regularities of this world. But this has nothing to say to our argument.

(March 12, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Sam Wrote: ... surley you can see that if the relationships between all matter (i.e. the universe) where defined ... then it's origind would be described in those relationships?
Actually no, I fail to see why or how a set of descriptions of all the regularities that "govern" (metaphorically) this world, once obtained, would constitute an explanation of its origin. This would merely explain how the ensemble of things interracts; it would not explain why or how it was here. Origin from what? If from Factor X, what explains Factor X? If from nothing, why did this particular ensemble of things pop out of nothing?

Supposing for example you had the origin of time and space in a tiny singularity from which everything burst 4.5 billion years ago, a common account, you would not have an explanation of the singularity itself, would you? Or supposing you had an infinite regression of time on back forever, with various events being supposed to have happened (a much less common account, so I understand), you still would not have a explanation of why or how the whole thing came to be, would you? Or supposing you had a model of manifold alternative universes, all somehow existing together, what would constitute the explanation of the ensemble? Suppose it's all 11-dimensional vibrating stings. Well, what explains why it's that, and where it all came from?

What I am saying is that whatever "it all" is, explanation is not something that can possibly be applied to "it all."

Messages In This Thread
The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 12, 2009 at 10:17 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Sam - March 12, 2009 at 11:55 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 12, 2009 at 1:37 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Sam - March 12, 2009 at 4:14 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 12, 2009 at 4:44 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Sam - March 12, 2009 at 5:01 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 13, 2009 at 12:40 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edwardo Piet - March 14, 2009 at 10:22 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edwardo Piet - March 16, 2009 at 8:43 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 17, 2009 at 8:47 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edwardo Piet - March 17, 2009 at 9:23 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 17, 2009 at 11:30 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Tiberius - March 14, 2009 at 10:26 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edwardo Piet - March 14, 2009 at 10:36 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edwardo Piet - March 17, 2009 at 1:12 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Mark - March 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edwardo Piet - March 18, 2009 at 4:47 am
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edward - March 22, 2009 at 7:03 pm
RE: The Limits of Possible Explanation - by Edwardo Piet - March 22, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 4045 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1455 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2149 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3248 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Possible girlfriend?? Manowar 30 4908 July 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? JairCrawford 61 9943 July 1, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  These People Truly Have No Limits athstmike 18 3347 June 13, 2018 at 3:22 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  AronRa as blunt as possible. ignoramus 7 1796 April 12, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2916 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 10367 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet