Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 11:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism
(February 8, 2016 at 1:49 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 8, 2016 at 1:40 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Yes.  As I posted on another thread, a xtian friend of mine got angry with me when I showed her that one of her "inspirational story" Facebook posts had been debunked and was completely false.  I will never forget her comment as she stomped out the door:  "The story is true because the message is true!  Don't ever show me any more FACTS."  

This is an intelligent woman. Really.  Great company most of the time, until you challenge her beliefs.  -- And this wasn't even challenging a belief, just a story she thought was a true account - when it wasn't.  (Although, if you think about it, that covers most religion, doesn't it?) 

I'll also never forget my Mother's response when shown a clear Bible contradiction:  "THERE ARE NO CONTRADICTIONS!!!  You don't have enough faith.  God will explain why it's not a contradiction when we get to heaven!"  

Undecided
You'll never get to them by questioning their beliefs in that way. You should try and find some common ground with them and have a genuine conversation with them about their beliefs. Be respectful and sound interested - I hear that works wonders.

NO, sorry, what works in one context does not always work in every context. There is no one right way to approach bad claims, other than to insist on non violence, no matter who says what. I really hate this good intent, it sounds nice but, far too often this good intent leads to setting up taboos, and that is never good for any parties involved.

"Be nice" all the time simply does not work. For me, it is "depends" on time place and context. 

And sorry I hate the word "respect", that is a hollow and loaded cliche. If it were used in the context you are advocating I'd be fine with it. But that is NOT what most people use it for. "Respect" is simply a word most people use to say "I don't want to consider I am wrong, so don't bruise my ego, and know your place in the social order". "Respect" is a word far too often used to shut down a conversation.

HUMANS certainly have rights, but claims as ideas do not deserve to be scrutiny or blasphemy free. So it depends on context of situation and case by case.

Messages In This Thread
Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 12:50 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 1:40 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 1:56 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 1:57 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 2:22 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 3:26 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 3:06 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 1:50 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 2:29 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 9, 2016 at 8:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the First Amendment IS an anti trust law. Brian37 14 5123 January 4, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome