Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 8:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism
(February 8, 2016 at 3:26 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Chill, EP.  I think that we need to hang on to the knowledge that there are many, many different types of believers out there.  You and Brian37 can both be correct, in different contexts, different places, different belief systems and different people.  There is no magic formula.  
   While I agree with Brian that ideas / beliefs should not be scrutiny or blasphemy free.  I'm a fan of cold hard facts, and I rather enjoy applying them to unsubstantiated woo. But that doesn't mean that I think de-converting people is my business.  Their beliefs are their business.  And some of them would happily die rather than doubt.

[Image: 56e8a589f928173af823ef2053a15e55.jpg]

I don't disagree with Brian either. I just think he is strawmanning me, that's all.

I don't agree that their beliefs are their business and I think it's our responsibility, as people who know better, to help others think more rationally as well.

I'm all in favor of promoting rational thought.  As a former fundie, I feel grateful (and frequently stunned) that my circumstances helped me break away from that mindset.  But it was my circumstances - and reading - and learning - that did it.  Having my beliefs questioned would have simply made me angry.  I would have decided that whoever questioned them was an asshole, and therefore all atheists were assholes . . . 
    And the fundies think it is there GOD-given responsibility, as people who know better, to turn us to belief and save us from hell.  It really is two sides of the same coin.  So I cannot think that "it is my responsibility to change someone's beliefs".  That would make me . . . just the same as them.  What I have escaped from.  (Bad grammar, I know.)  
I wish we could just flood the internet with thousands of really good memes, and let people bump into the questions as they will.    Rolleyes
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Messages In This Thread
Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 12:50 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 1:40 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 1:56 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 1:57 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 2:22 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 3:26 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 3:06 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by drfuzzy - February 8, 2016 at 1:50 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 8, 2016 at 2:29 pm
RE: Superstiton/religion & anti intellectualism - by Brian37 - February 9, 2016 at 8:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the First Amendment IS an anti trust law. Brian37 14 5126 January 4, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome