Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 3:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian couple told they can't adopt due to their views on homosexuality.
RE: Christian couple told they can't adopt due to their views on homosexuality.
(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: The government has no business in beliefs, period.

If it was the case that government had an obligation to prevent bigotry or racism through it's official channels then you would see no .co.uk or .us domains being issued to known racists or homophobes and they would be removed when discovered.

1.) They do when the beliefs can have an adverse effect on a ward of the state. Also, ICANN is a private company for that very reason.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: And why should their own children be an exception? What is it about a child coming into a family after birth that makes them need these double standards?
2.) A natural child isn't a ward of the state. Two different things legally.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: I don't care about the established law, I asked for the principles
3.) I've given you both objective & subjective principles. Please quit trying to move the goalposts on me.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: Never said it did give them automatic access to a privilege, and that wasn't my point about religious beliefs either - My point was that if you are going to 'protect' children from being placed with families who display anti-homosexual beliefs then why not those who display anit-religious beliefs?

4.) I'm not sure what you are getting at, I've never said anything about anti-religious beliefs. We are talking about protected classes here. You are putting words in my mouth that have little to do with the matter at hand.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: So why aren't you against religious or sexual bigotry too? You've said that this shouldn't apply to people with anit-religious/atheist attitudes, would you say that a family who's only bigotry is an extreme dislike of Islam should prevent them too from adopting?

5.) I am against bigotry period, not sure why you would think otherwise. I've never said anything should or shouldn't apply to people with anti-religious / atheist attitudes. I mentioned they were both protected classes in the workplace. Please stop attributing things to me that I didn't say.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: Oh, and a family refusing to promote pro-gay attitudes makes them "brainwashers"? Are you personally for preventing any religious beliefs form being taught on the account of it being "brainwashing"? By what standards do you determine that these things are brainwashing and is there a difference between "brainwashing" and a family passing on beliefs that they sincerely believe are correct and good for the child? Is a family who sincerely beliefs in creationism and wants to teach that position to there children "brainwashing" them?

6.) Protected classes. Not sure why you can't understand that. If for some reason you don't think that children are very, very malleable when they are young then you are sorely mistaken.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: I agree that it's the most important concern, I disagree that these attitudes have a significant impact on the child's welbeing. Being raised homophobic and having a perfectly normal physical and mental state are by no means mutually exclusive.

7.) You are saying it's ok to promote racist & homophobic values to a child, I will never agree with you on that point. I will further never agree that the state shouldn't do what is legally in their power to do to prevent that from happening when it is in their ward's best interest. The well being of the ward trumps any privilege that you seem to think the couple in question has.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: A few generations ago most people were homophobic and/or racist, their children turned out better than that generation, so the case of a child being raised in a homophobic family causing them mental harm is unjustified.

7a.) Appeal to history.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: It would require that an Atheist family who adopts/fosters a child who has been raised in a religious home to continue to take that child to church. An atheist who refuses to take a child to church would be refused the privilege of adopting.

8.) Yes, that is correct other than we are not talking about adoption, but foster care.

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: They wouldn't take the child to a mosque when they were at church - Neither would I.

9.) Then you wouldn't be allowed to foster a child either. Don't feel bad, neither would I. Not having free time to care for a child & not making certain things available to a foster child are pretty big issues. I don't expect you to see that since you are way too hung up on the other side of this issue (The "rights" of the foster couple).

(March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am)theVOID Wrote: As for the feminists who do hate men, they should be refused adoption by your standards, no?

10.) I don't think I'd place a child with them either, if I was the adoption agent or the judge.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian couple told they can't adopt due to their views on homosexuality. - by Jaysyn - March 4, 2011 at 9:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1138 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1587 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 59455 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91683 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  German bishops agree with scientists: homosexuality is normal Fake Messiah 21 2916 January 21, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1893 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 898 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Bible condemns homosexuality. Jehanne 190 29832 May 2, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Pennsylvania Church asks couples to bring in their AR-15's so they can bless the guns Cecelia 63 10534 March 17, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 28641 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B