Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 8:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with
RE: Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with
(March 6, 2016 at 8:18 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(March 4, 2016 at 4:30 pm)Alex K Wrote: The assumption that this is outweighed by the benefits was implicit in my 2. in which I meant the net effect, but you're right of course, I didn't say that clearly.

The proposition that homosexuals are significantly less likely to engage in reproductive sex may seem intuitive, but it seems to me that may not actually be true under many social conditions.

Also, I am not sure exactly what constitutes, and what other effects flow from the "homosexual gene".   The effect of making the bearer inclined towards homosexuality may well require the combination of several genes.   The individual component may well carry direct reproductive benefits for the bearer, even if combined into the "homosexual combination", the collection might hamper the bearer's chance to reproduce.

In that case, the reduced probability of those carrying the complete set of "homosexual gene" to reproduce may well be more than offset by the increased productive successes of those carrying components of the "homosexual gene", so that homosexuality survives in the population because while, reproductively speaking, the total gene may be less than the sum of its parts, the parts are individually damned advantageous, so the parts will survive and recombine to menifest as homosexuality at more or less constant rate even if full blown homosexuals might seem less able to pass on their genes.

Oh, interesting idea! Instead of having a joint effect of several different (parts of) genes it could also be heterozygous vs. homozygous: it reminds me a bit of the case of selection for Sickle-cell disease genes in regions with Malaria, because having one sickle cell allele makes you immune to Malaria - but having both is fatal. Not that I want to compare homosexuality with a deadly disease, but for purposes of procreation the effect may be similar.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Messages In This Thread
RE: Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with - by Alex K - March 7, 2016 at 8:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 6130 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6634 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2091 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Over the top Belacqua 146 13896 August 28, 2019 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3434 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28667 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 17093 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2559 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  How I deal with no afterlife SuperMarioGamer 117 12415 October 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: TheMonster
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1701 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist