Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a public-health/nutrition student
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student
One of the things I find interesting is the issue of parental responsibility for providing adequate health care for their offspring. Well not so much that I find it interesting in itself, what fascinates me most is the the public viewpoints and policy on this.

We've already debated whether so-called "anti-vaxers" are moronic invalids or not. I did try pointing out that of people who don't vaccinate their children not at the advice of their doctors, the majority of them are not "anti vaccine". It's important to think about because focusing resources and attention on the actual "anti vaxers" would yeiled far less promising results than focusing on those who miss vaccinations for other reasons: the biggest reason being that the need is not seen as seriously to the healthcare consumers as it is to health professionals. Address that and the vaccination rate will increase, back to where it needs to be.

And there's another reason I don't believe in taking draconian measures to "force" people to vaccinate their children, and that is that any draconian action has the potential to create distrust between healthcare consumers and healthcare providers, and establishing and keeping that trust is far more important. Without it people will not seek the healthcare products and services they need because of their fear. In Australia this is a big problem, and in fact it would be a problem anywhere in the world that has Indigenous people, and that is that Indigenous people have a huge fear of any White-Australia institutions, whether they're schools, hospitals, police departments, or governments.

And besides, people are right to distrust pharmaceutical companies, and they should distrust the companies. I absolutely loathe them. Nurofen was ordered in December to remove the "targeted pain" products from their website as part of a court ruling against them, and yet they still display the misleading information here and here (and I've sent through a notification to ACCC about the breech). The products themselves are no longer available for sale being that they've been banned in the same aforementioned ruling. That's why people should never, ever get their information from a drug company, or a supplement manufacturer, they should get advice from health professionals. And even pharmacies can't be trusted when they knowingly put quackery on their shelves (and I'm talking other shit that gets sold in pharmacies that has no medical benefit).

But looking beyond this, we currently have people who do put their children at risk by following alternative ideas of medicine and diet. And this I think is far more serious. I was just reading about the case of David & Collet Stephan providing inadequate medical care for their child by self-diagnosing his illness. That's a gross negligence on their behalf. And it has nothing to do with their anti-vax beliefs, and I don't think that should even be relevant at the trial, the relevance is on the fact that the parents decided to diagnose the child's illness without seeing a medical practitioner. The fact they were giving a toddler a multivitamin is just beyond belief. It defies the conventional limits of stupidity. Just to clarify, I'm not alleging giving the toddler a multivitamin was a substitute for medicine.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - November 29, 2015 at 7:55 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Longhorn - November 29, 2015 at 11:27 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - November 29, 2015 at 7:19 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by paulpablo - November 29, 2015 at 7:36 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - November 29, 2015 at 8:30 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by paulpablo - November 29, 2015 at 9:09 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - November 29, 2015 at 9:55 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by vorlon13 - November 29, 2015 at 11:34 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by SteelCurtain - November 29, 2015 at 11:36 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by vorlon13 - November 29, 2015 at 11:40 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by SteelCurtain - November 29, 2015 at 3:15 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by vorlon13 - November 29, 2015 at 8:36 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Dystopia - November 29, 2015 at 8:21 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - November 29, 2015 at 8:33 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Catholic_Lady - November 29, 2015 at 9:16 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - November 29, 2015 at 9:46 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Catholic_Lady - November 29, 2015 at 10:01 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Natachan - November 29, 2015 at 10:30 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - November 29, 2015 at 10:43 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Dystopia - December 1, 2015 at 12:20 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 1, 2015 at 10:32 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Athene - December 5, 2015 at 7:41 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 5, 2015 at 9:42 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by brewer - December 6, 2015 at 1:14 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Athene - December 6, 2015 at 2:21 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by brewer - December 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Athene - December 6, 2015 at 3:02 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by brewer - December 6, 2015 at 4:07 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Athene - December 6, 2015 at 4:27 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by brewer - December 6, 2015 at 4:34 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Athene - December 6, 2015 at 4:45 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 6, 2015 at 6:38 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Dystopia - December 5, 2015 at 11:04 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 5, 2015 at 9:06 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by downbeatplumb - December 5, 2015 at 12:06 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 6, 2015 at 6:56 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Whateverist - December 6, 2015 at 7:45 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Whateverist - December 6, 2015 at 8:00 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by bennyboy - December 6, 2015 at 8:36 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 6, 2015 at 8:45 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by bennyboy - December 6, 2015 at 9:01 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Athene - December 6, 2015 at 7:31 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Dystopia - December 7, 2015 at 1:33 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by LadyForCamus - December 7, 2015 at 9:02 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 9, 2015 at 8:45 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 7, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by LadyForCamus - December 9, 2015 at 9:29 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by LadyForCamus - December 9, 2015 at 10:19 pm
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - December 10, 2015 at 2:12 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - March 3, 2016 at 9:57 am
RE: Ask a public-health/nutrition student - by Aractus - March 19, 2016 at 7:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a Bible college Student Emzap 406 58896 November 19, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Information Ask a public-health student 2.0 Aractus 1 780 May 9, 2016 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Ask a College Student BrokenQuill92 27 5110 August 5, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92