Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me
RE: Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me
(April 10, 2016 at 3:12 am)maestroanth Wrote:
(April 8, 2016 at 6:44 pm)Evie Wrote: I really take offence to all this "grow a pair", "get a thicker skin" bullshit, some people just are sensitive and they should be respected for the way they are as much as anyone else is. And pressuring people to be something they are not -- especially if it affects stuff like their mental health -- is just a fucking dick move.

Okay, maybe over time, sure, we can learn to "grow a pair" (although I fucking hate that phrase) some more, because we all -- even sensitive folks like myself -- can learn to be tougher and overcome obstacles and be stronger a life goes on. Even the most sensitive of us.

But growing a thicker skin is something that happens naturally... and even if being given advice on how to grow a thicker skin  can/could even work (not sure if that's possible TBH) simply telling someone to "grow a pair" is not only a dick move but fucking unhelpful. It's like telling a teen who isn't fully grown yet who wants to play basketball professionally but is too short currently and is unsure and anxious about whether he/she will be tall enough by the time they become fully grown to just  "Grow taller immediately".

Not sure what is helpful in this case... but I'm sure what isn't.

"Grow a pair". Pearls of wisdom directed at a sensitive person........ [/sarcasm]

IDK, the thicker skin talk just sounds like an insecurity by those who feel the need to have such a 'thick skin' to begin with.  I mean everyone is equally sensitive, that's what comes along with being a homo sapien.

Not everyone is equally sensitive to things at all, why would you think that?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me - by paulpablo - April 10, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3765 231070 9 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 148 3531 June 3, 2024 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You’ve Been Kidnapped!! BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2451 December 14, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1189 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2527 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 773 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1273 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Been wondering what the boyfriend looks like? Foxaèr 8 729 January 14, 2022 at 11:43 am
Last Post: johnnyy
  Setting up TV remotes, a "Kill me" event. Brian37 35 2042 September 30, 2021 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Imagine You've Been Kidnapped BrianSoddingBoru4 26 1475 August 20, 2021 at 4:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4