Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 2:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist?
RE: Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist?
I definitely believe Christianity is a cult, when your brainwashing small children to believe in magic, virgin births, giving them a choice, join them or burn in hell......yeah that has cult all over it. If I am not mistaken Christianity was actually considered a cult at one point time a loooong time ago, before the masses started accepting it.

It's not easy to convert a religious person if they have spent their whole life being indoctrinated. I have been married for 16 years now, my wife was raised in Church since she was 2 years old, her friends and family all go to church.

Me on the other hand, I had always had beliefs but wasn't raised in Church. I started going when I met me wife and married her. While we went to Church we weren't "practicing" Christians like most "Christians". Never prayed, read the Bible and so forth.

But her upbringing was different, even to HS they were at church when the doors were open, they read the Bible as a family once a week, and he step-dad and mom prays every chance they get. Her Church and youth group was a big part of her life.

Around 2010 the current preacher did a sermon on tithing and told us God commanded us to give 10% before taxes, no matter what our debt was. For us that would equate to roughly $641 a month which would have took a hit on our finances. That was more than our house payment at the time and I wan't about to turn lose that kind of cash. Especially when the preacher was paid very well, had a large home, sent his kid to a private christian school. We had people in church driving ratty cars and def weren't well off and I know they were giving quite a bit of money.

This started me on a path to question things and I started finding out the inconsistencies in the Bible. it escalated from there and I went on a de-conversion path. It took me a year before I could actually say there was no God.....in fear of something bad happening to me. Like God was going to strike me down or something.

I kept this to myself, for a long time and then I came out to my wife one day. I told her I didn't believe there was a God and you should have seen the look on her face. It was like her world had just collapsed.

The first thing out of her mouth was who was I gonna worship then? The Devil? That right there showed me how strong indoctrination is in people. She was like a sleeper cell and this was the first thing that came out of her mouth, almost like a reflex.

Honestly I think she would have been more forgiving at the moment if I told her I was having an affair and a love child. I mean she was freaking out, her whole world collapsed. In her mind this affected my salvation and I was going to be punished.

I'm saying all this to explain how deep her religious views go, she may not show them externally...they are there. It took a little bit for her to accept my new-found beliefs but we just agree to disagree now. We have a great marriage and are doing fine.

The only issue is that she thinks where I start bringing up errors or the absurdity of the claims that are made in the Bible, that I am making fun of it or her. Even when I sugar coat it and try to be politically correct she goes into defense mode, and asks me not to belittle her beliefs. The only thing I try to do is open her eyes a bit, it's taking a while but we are getting there.

The problem with most Christians (wife included) is that they spend their wholes lives with this crammed down their throat. It becomes a big part of their social structure and who they are as a person. Asking them to shed their beliefs is basically admitting that their lives was a lie. Nobody wants to do that and they are willing to accept a belief in something with no evidence to back it up, rather than give up who they are. I know for her she would feel like she's letting her family and friends down.....it goes deeper than just saying she doesn't believe.

All you can do is show them the evidence and let them make their own choices, some people will come to that conclusion on there own (like I did) and sometimes they won't.

It took me a year to shake loose the last bit of belief in a God out of fear, I can't imagine someone that was raised in it as an infant...I'm sure it's a struggle.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? - by dragonman73 - April 12, 2016 at 7:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2091 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 6188 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1017 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3056 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 1013 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3906 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2735 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4319 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3631 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4511 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire