Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance?
RE: Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance?
(June 19, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Ignorant Wrote:
(June 19, 2016 at 2:53 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: ...Anachronisms in the text of the old testament point to it having been largely composed in the 6th and 7th centuries BCE, despite appearing to narrate older events. [1] The older events need not have become legend and stories at the time specified in the later codification of them, just as the beginning of the legends about Jesus need not have occurred in 33 CE.  If the legends about Jesus had their beginnings several decades earlier, that gives plenty of time for a church to develop around the legends. [2] The dates of the birth and crucifixion would have been back filled later, decades after the supposed events. [3]

1) True. It is also apparent that those texts, as we have them today, are largely the result of multiple redactions and combinations of smaller, older texts into a whole (e.g. The single unity of the ancient Throne-Succession Narrative split and redacted into 2 Sam 9-20 and 1 Kgs 1-2). So while it is true that the texts began to be compiled into a unity in the 6th and 7th century BCE, the compiled texts (e.g. the succession narrative) have been found to precede the redaction by centuries.

The point however is that these redacted texts need not represent the actual chronology of the events they describe as they weren't necessarily written contemporaneous with the events they describe.

(June 19, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Ignorant Wrote: 2) True. And you might expect to find evidence of such legends dating from those decades. As far as I know, there is no such evidence, and the only non-Christian attestation of any sort of Jesus character comes decades afterward, not before. 

If the Pauline epistles are any indication, letters were being written between the various churches by approximately 50 CE. That we don't have evidence of these other letters makes your expectation an unrealistic one. Also, much of the so to speak expected documents would not exist as the tradition may have been largely oral.

(June 19, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Ignorant Wrote: Also, Justin Martyr (100-165 AD), when writing to the Emperor about the Christian religion, assures the Emperor that he can verify that a Jesus of Nazareth was crucified under pilate in a document called "The Acts of Pilate" (which is to be distinguished from the 4th century apocryphal texts). did such a document exist? That is unclear, but it is clear the Justin thought it was a simple enough claim to tell the Emperor "You can check Pilate's notes, all of it is in there".

What Justin Martyr may have thought during the second century is little evidence of what transpired a century earlier.

(June 19, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Ignorant Wrote: 3) Maybe, but like the rest of the ancient world, authors measured time by who was in charge. In this case: Pontius Pilate and Tiberius in the case of the crucifixion. I also recognize the difficulties in dating the birth of Jesus. His crucifixion is much easier to date.

By what means are you dating the crucifixion? As pointed out, the Gospels come too late to bear indisputable evidence of when the 'events' in them actually occurred. They claim that they occurred under Pilate and Tiberius, but that could just be an arbitrarily asserted connection. As you said yourself, people at the time dated events by who was in charge; so if you wanted to place a narrative in a certain time, you would claim the participation of historic figures. That would explain why Pilate is involved in the sentencing of an obscure rabbi; simply put, he wasn't. Inserting Pilate into the story is just a false dating of events.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? - by Angrboda - June 19, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slam dunk - Jesus had no clue LinuxGal 19 1518 September 16, 2023 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Data
  Why do I need to be saved? zwanzig 15 1276 August 3, 2023 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Questions I have had about the Bible recently... FlatAssembler 12 2235 July 24, 2021 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5843 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3848 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty? Greatest I am 159 10147 September 10, 2020 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 10160 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3532 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4513 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8129 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm