Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
how capitalism breeds a " me " society.
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society.
(April 5, 2009 at 10:16 am)bozo Wrote: Yesterday in the UK a property auction was held, run by an American company and conducted in an upbeat, high-energy American kind of way.
The lots were all repossessed properties i.e. people, families had been evicted for failing to keep up with their mortgages, as the recession bites deeper.
Thus the predators were there, individuals looking for a bargain and property speculators looking for the same...............all at the expense of the people made homeless after eviction.
The company was charging 10% on the sale price of the lots....so a nice little earner for it!
Moral of the tale? People are not born nasty, capitalism makes it inevitable.

That's a very simplistic way to look at it. Sure, of course there will be people who through no fault of their own cannot pay their mortgage and they will lose out. But at the same time exist people who are nothing but lazy bastards who see no reason to pay their way in life and will do anything to get out of paying a mortgage and whatever else. Capitalism doesn't fix the problem, but I think it's unreasonable to say that it exaggerates it. Lazy people will always exist, and hard-working individuals who want to go somewhere will always exist also.

Capitalism gives people the opportunity to depend on themselves and be responsible for their own welfare. And to a large extent, it weeds out those who are simply irresponsible with the way they live. But as with any system, there will be failures.

Capitalism breeds a "me" society granted, but that "me" society is the one in which you have the right to make decisions for yourself, to decide which career you want, to decide whether you want to be rich and famous or the simple life and a whole lot of other rights that we take for granted.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God

Messages In This Thread
how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by bozo - April 5, 2009 at 10:16 am
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by fr0d0 - April 5, 2009 at 3:33 pm
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by bozo - April 5, 2009 at 3:44 pm
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by fr0d0 - April 5, 2009 at 4:23 pm
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by bozo - April 5, 2009 at 4:43 pm
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by bozo - April 5, 2009 at 4:58 pm
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by athoughtfulman - April 6, 2009 at 9:49 am
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by bozo - April 6, 2009 at 2:52 pm
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by bozo - April 6, 2009 at 6:58 pm
RE: how capitalism breeds a " me " society. - by bozo - April 6, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhorting Atheists to Solve Society's Ills Prof.Lunaphiles 21 2062 April 18, 2020 at 3:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Video "Capitalism" is Magic! Sal 0 252 April 5, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Death by capitalism (the meme thread) Foxaèr 40 3835 November 1, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Ideologues - The Biggest Danger to a Society Mechaghostman2 15 1568 August 30, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Regarding the progress of society Macoleco 7 1526 June 23, 2017 at 4:32 pm
  Pyongyang/Why capitalism isn't a form of gov. Brian37 29 2853 April 19, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No One Actually Wants an Equal Society InquiringMind 69 8292 March 21, 2017 at 11:31 am
  Is this ok in a democratic society? Something completely different 14 4844 August 21, 2013 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  "Philosopher Renata Salecl: 'Capitalism Is Humanity's Neurosis'" Something completely different 31 8791 July 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Ah Capitalism..... Minimalist 0 1015 June 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist