Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special"
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special"
(September 30, 2016 at 11:46 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 30, 2016 at 11:35 am)Rhythm Wrote: Is your experience of qualia just an assumption?  If not, then stop.  The science is science regardless of whether or not you appreciate or agree with it's conclusions.  It's fine to be opposed to them, it's ludicrous to argue that they are not what they are.  
Science is the process of observation and inference.  You cannot observe someone's qualia.
So you claim.

Quote:Therefore, the "science" of qualia isn't that.  It's actually the science of material correlates TO qualia: brain function, reports of experiences, facial expression, etc.  I know that you will just define "qualia" as "the brain function of experience," but that begs the question.  Conflation of terms isn't science, it's just conflation.
I'm sorry, the best evidence we have suggests this is the case.  You think it's question begging, it's not, but it wouldn't matter if it were....because it's -still- the suggestion of the best evidence we have.  

Quote:The problem is that science doesn't require you to take a stance on the ultimate nature of reality in order to do it.  Whether we're in the Mind of God, or the Matrix, or a BIJ, or a real material monism, science is the process of making observations and drawing inferences.
I don't take any such stance, nor do the vast majority of materialists.  I take a stance only on what we know, what we have detcted, and what we have detected is sufficient as an explanation for.  I take an ancillary position, not directly related to the subject, about unecessary and unevidenced assumptions whose soundness cannot, in any known way, be determined......but that would be a different discussion, eh?

Quote:Yay!  This thread is apparently about me.  I revel in your obsession with what I think or feel.  Let's hug it out!
I like hugs, deal.  

Quote:Science is about making observations and drawing inferences.
Which is what we've done, regardless of whether or not you find them convenient, amenable, or satisfying.

Quote:You cannot see the magical unicorn in my dreams; you can see only the brain functions involved, and ask me in the morning what they mean.  You might eventually learn that when certain neural chains light up, that means I'm dreaming about unicorns.

You say we can do science of the mind.  I say we do science on neural correlates, given philosophical assumptions about the nature of brain and mind.  However, in a philosophical argument about the nature of mind, this isn't going to get you very far unless everyone agrees to those same philosophical assumptions.

It's not even that you're wrong.  It's that you are willing to make assumptions that are not even necessary to make.
The irony is strong, here.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Bunburryist - September 29, 2016 at 10:45 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 30, 2016 at 3:36 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 11:05 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 30, 2016 at 11:16 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 11:34 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Whateverist - September 30, 2016 at 12:09 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 2:12 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 2:45 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 2:48 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by GUBU - October 1, 2016 at 2:24 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 3:46 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 3:43 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 3:49 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:12 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:25 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:32 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:45 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 29, 2016 at 7:07 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 29, 2016 at 9:19 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 29, 2016 at 11:07 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 10:28 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 12:27 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - September 30, 2016 at 12:07 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Ben Davis - September 30, 2016 at 10:53 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 11:46 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by robvalue - September 30, 2016 at 11:48 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 1:08 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 30, 2016 at 2:01 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by brewer - September 30, 2016 at 1:12 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Arkilogue - September 30, 2016 at 2:24 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Arkilogue - September 30, 2016 at 2:54 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Whateverist - September 30, 2016 at 11:06 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Arkilogue - September 30, 2016 at 9:52 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - September 30, 2016 at 11:35 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by The Grand Nudger - September 30, 2016 at 11:56 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - October 1, 2016 at 12:00 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - October 1, 2016 at 12:17 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 7:55 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 8:20 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 11:14 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 8:51 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 5, 2016 at 6:59 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Jesster - October 5, 2016 at 12:52 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - October 6, 2016 at 12:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4678 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Short essay on dualism, idealism, & materialism as concerns Q: What is a table? Mudhammam 28 4800 February 27, 2017 at 3:02 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Idealism is more Rational than Materialism Rational AKD 158 45894 February 12, 2015 at 4:51 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Materialism Is good for society freedomfighter 18 6560 August 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  On the very root of Materialism. Descartes 19 5917 July 25, 2011 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Violet