Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 7:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special"
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special"
(October 9, 2016 at 12:07 am)bennyboy Wrote: No I don't.  Show me.
Remind me, does the science exist, or do you object to it?

Quote:That's a lot of words, and nary a definition of "material" to be found anywhere in them.
Definitions of words are not my problem, nor yours.

Quote:You keep saying you've done things you haven't done, at least in my view.  Maybe less metacommentary and more actual proof of / support for your position?
Complaining about metacommentary will not make your objections anything other than what they were.

Quote:"Observable stuff"?  What stuff are you talking about, exactly?  Whatever we are experiencing, since we are experiencing it, it must be stuff?  Is that it?  "It seems so, therefore it IS so"?
The observable stuff, just as I said.  You do realize that you could have learned this from the wiki link on materialism, before you launched yourself into this pointless series of objections? Things may not be as they seem.  If we're wrong, then we would be wrong.  

Quote:Nope.  My views were established by what I read about QM and philosophy, and not the other way around.  Me giving up on materialism was as much a Eureka moment as many people here giving up on atheism-- the more I learned, the more I felt the view was unsupportable.
Assuming that they were established based upon the many arguments you've presented here, in this thread, and others....then you have a problem.  They are objections which I have discussed with you, at length, time and time again.  That you cannot accept them for what they are is, again, no problem of mine.

Quote:Still a lot of talk about me and my learning process, and not much talk of your view and SUPPORT for it.  My assertion is that I don't know what is ultimately real, and I therefore declare as agnostic.  Your assertion is that stuff, its properties, and its interactions are all that exist, and you have been surprisingly dodgy about demonstrating that belief to represent truth.
I was attempting to be generous, assuming that you -had- heard a difficult objection to materialism, but had either lost it in translation, or botched it.  If you don't know what is real, your issue is not with materialism.  It's deeper, lower.  

Quote:I'll probably keep responding, because I'm dumb that way and I have too much free time.  But I can't see how this discussion is going to move forward unless someone is willing to make a positive assertion and attempt to support it.  I was super sure that was going to be you, but it seems that's not the case.
You've been outmanouvered for quite awhile, do you think that continuing to position will play in your favor, this time?

Quote:You will probably now claim that I'm making a God of the gaps about our discussion because I don't know how it is going to work out, right? Big Grin
Why would I?  I'm trying to help you properly employ reason, not bullshit you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Bunburryist - September 29, 2016 at 10:45 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 30, 2016 at 3:36 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 11:05 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 30, 2016 at 11:16 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 11:34 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Whateverist - September 30, 2016 at 12:09 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 2:12 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 2:45 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 2:48 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by GUBU - October 1, 2016 at 2:24 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 3:46 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 3:43 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 3:49 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:12 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:25 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:32 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 4:45 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 29, 2016 at 7:07 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 29, 2016 at 9:19 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 29, 2016 at 11:07 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Tangra - September 29, 2016 at 10:28 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 12:27 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - September 30, 2016 at 12:07 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Ben Davis - September 30, 2016 at 10:53 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 11:46 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by robvalue - September 30, 2016 at 11:48 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by bennyboy - September 30, 2016 at 1:08 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Gemini - September 30, 2016 at 2:01 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by brewer - September 30, 2016 at 1:12 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Arkilogue - September 30, 2016 at 2:24 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Arkilogue - September 30, 2016 at 2:54 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Whateverist - September 30, 2016 at 11:06 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Arkilogue - September 30, 2016 at 9:52 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - September 30, 2016 at 11:35 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - October 1, 2016 at 12:00 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - October 1, 2016 at 12:17 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 7:55 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 8:20 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 11:14 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 4, 2016 at 8:51 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Sal - October 5, 2016 at 6:59 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Jesster - October 5, 2016 at 12:52 pm
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by Foxaèr - October 6, 2016 at 12:08 am
RE: Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" - by The Grand Nudger - October 9, 2016 at 1:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4675 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Short essay on dualism, idealism, & materialism as concerns Q: What is a table? Mudhammam 28 4800 February 27, 2017 at 3:02 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Idealism is more Rational than Materialism Rational AKD 158 45892 February 12, 2015 at 4:51 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Materialism Is good for society freedomfighter 18 6560 August 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  On the very root of Materialism. Descartes 19 5917 July 25, 2011 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Violet