Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 12:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of this argument for God?
RE: What do you think of this argument for God?
(March 18, 2017 at 11:10 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I'm afraid, that if you do not understand what "all knowing" or "all powerful" is, then I don't believe I can simplify those any more for you.

You misunderstand.

It is not that there is no understandable concept. It is that there is no working definition. In the same way, while the concept of "soul" is understandable, no actual working definition can be supplied. No mechanism or definitive limits and parameters can be given.

And they desperately need that, because without it, it can easily be argued that such properties are not possible, even speaking metaphysically - or, if you wish to be more generous, you could posit that they are possible, but incompatible due to omniscience and its interaction with the idea of free will or choice, or omnipotence and its interaction with concepts of logical possibility and coherence. And so on.

That's the problem with concepts like these. They've been around so long, and appear so simple, that people just sort of take it as written that they are coherently defined.

(March 18, 2017 at 11:10 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: But if you are saying that nothing is objectively greater than anything else, then I disagree and find it absurd.  You are saying that knowledge is not greater than ignorance, and wisdom is not greater than foolishness.   That these are incoherent statements correct?  That these are just value judgements?

Incoherent, no. Value judgments, and therefore subjective, yes.

Systems of measuring value can be defined, and certain properties can be compared to those systems to find that they are more valuable, by that standard, than another property. But the key phrase is that this can be done by that standard. There is no objective measurement of value possible, and the concept of a "maximum value" is nonsensical.

(March 18, 2017 at 11:10 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be saying here, that under the axioms of S5, that it must be shown epistemically possible in the actual world.  Now I'm just learning this stuff myself, but nothing I see, in the descriptions of S5 state this. Why have the semantics of other possible worlds at all, if this where true.

Again, I'm not a particular expert on modal logic myself. I could be entirely wrong, which is why I continue to point this out. I am continuing to read up on this, and, as I have said, this is not a particularly concrete conclusion on my part. I am currently working my way through - in my free time, which is why I don't have a more definitive answer - the various publications of Robert Stalnaker, who talks about exactly this issue. Specifically, I'm looking at "Propositions" and "Possible Worlds", which you can find on Google.

As a reminder, though, even if my admitted speculation was entirely wrong, it still doesn't actually help the ontological argument -

(March 18, 2017 at 11:10 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Now as discussed the argument does leave open the possibility that God is not logically possible.

For exactly that reason.

In addition to the above issues with needing a coherent definition for the various characteristics of God, the ontological argument fails to show that it is possible for an entity that is "maximally excellent" to have necessary existence in every possible world. As it is logically coherent to posit that there is a possible world where no entity possesses maximal excellence, this would not appear to be the case.

(March 18, 2017 at 11:10 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: However as I stated; I tend to default to possible rather than impossible, if I do not find a reason to do so.

You are free to do so, but if you want to be rational about it, that is exactly the opposite of what should be done.

Possibility must be established, not merely assumed. As such, a coherent definition must be supplied, and a demonstration of how this definition is compatible with the universe must be made.
"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
  - A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you think of this argument for God? - by Nonpareil - March 19, 2017 at 2:44 am
RE: What do you think of this argument for God? - by Sal - March 17, 2017 at 7:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 670 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5426 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1860 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3655 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5537 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How To Support Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 0 517 August 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 5 804 August 22, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 3123 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6267 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 24528 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus